Dynadot

Same domainname with different TLDs for enduser

NameSilo
Watch

Vebster

Established Member
Impact
Hey Domainers,

I was wondering, if it makes any sense for endusers to buy the same domainname under different tTLDs, when the domainname is no trademark? For example, a enduser owns "buycigars.com" and wants to develop it into a shop for cigars. Are there any reasons for him to register/buy "buycigars.net" and "buycigars.org" besides from cutting of competitors, like better pagerank or anything else?

Thanks and peace :)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Usually to cutting competition other than to protect brand from fake website/products

•••
It's smart to get all 3 of those, kingCOM is the primary target, then queenNET, then jackORG to prevent freeloaders stealing your traffics. Yes, it will tripple your renewals for that particular domain.

Seriously consider plural and singular versions as well.

Even typo-domains if you are really paranoid and want to lock things down.. :P

•••
i like the playing card reference to the three different domain extensions - makes it easier to remember the order of importance thanks (i knew .com was king but the others im not so hot on)

•••
I should mention, that I asked this question because I have a potential enduser who recently bought a domain for x,xxx and I own a equivalent .net. Which arguments would you use to convince the customer, that it is a good idea to purchase the domain beside cutting of competition?

•••
i take it the other guy picked up the .com?

•••
He picked up the .de, the .com is taken by one of his competitors :P

•••
well i guess the .net is an upgrade on the .de so that could be a selling point. only trouble you might have is that if he has shelled out a large amount recently for the .de he might not be looking to buy again so soon

•••
i get lots of emails from domainers trying to sell me lower level extensions

let me tell you, i don't want them and majority of .com owners don't want them either

you have to consider, that we probably had opportunity to get them before you.

imo....

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back