IT.COM

Sale Price v GoValue Estimates

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Dotword

Established Member
Impact
I've just plotted "Sale v Estimate" (using Namebio & GoValue) for 100 domains and thought you may be interested.

One challenge for domainers is how to estimate the value of domains. This has led to automated tools (e.g. Estibot, GoValue) but how much can we really trust them?

From this dataset, it seems:

o There is some (weak) correlation between sales & estimates.
o Estimates are more precise for lower-priced domains.
o Sales under-perform Estimates.

I'm sure there is deeper analysis somewhere (please share) but I thought you may be interested in seeing the plot.

Attachments

• sale_v_estimate_31052022.png
    sale_v_estimate_31052022.png
    27 KB · Views: 105
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I am selling coffeeisgreen.com govalue estimates were $1116. Before, two estimates for my other domains, myfood.com and another were $2000 and $8000. Both sold for $30k plus! They far underestimate for top quality domains. I think this can be expected because their value is strictly related to finding the proper buyer, and he will be glad to pay the full value. Else they have much less value.

•••
I am selling coffeeisgreen.com govalue estimates were $1116. Before, two estimates for my other domains, myfood.com and another were $2000 and $8000. Both sold for $30k plus! They far underestimate for top quality domains. I think this can be expected because their value is strictly related to finding the proper buyer, and he will be glad to pay the full value. Else they have much less value.

Yeah maybe I should have said "Estimates are WILDER for higher-value domains". myfood(.)com was clearly under-valued at $2k.

Also, no tool can take into account the skill of the seller.

•••
I like the idea of trying to see a statistical correlation! Great thinking.

•••
•••
I've just plotted "Sale v Estimate" (using Namebio & GoValue) for 100 domains and thought you may be interested.

One challenge for domainers is how to estimate the value of domains. This has led to automated tools (e.g. Estibot, GoValue) but how much can we really trust them?

From this dataset, it seems:

o There is some (weak) correlation between sales & estimates.
o Estimates are more precise for lower-priced domains.
o Sales under-perform Estimates.

I'm sure there is deeper analysis somewhere (please share) but I thought you may be interested in seeing the plot.

The bottom left corner is probably mostly wholesale pricing. Namebio has the skewed data for this kind of "sales", as they can get almost all of them from the auctions, while they get only under 10% (probably) of the actual end user sales.

For example, my sales are on average 2x of the estimates, but, of course, none of those are reported with NB.

•••
The bottom left corner is probably mostly wholesale pricing. Namebio has the skewed data for this kind of "sales", as they can get almost all of them from the auctions, while they get only under 10% (probably) of the actual end user sales.

For example, my sales are on average 2x of the estimates, but, of course, none of those are reported with NB.

Please don't PM me names I have zero interest in for ridiculous price (or any, for that matter). The estimates from the automated services are the end user prices. And wholesalers, if they are interested, buy the name for 1-2% of the estimate. This can go way higher for very very liquid names, like nice pronounceable LLLL. So, if GD says name is worth 1500$, it is probably either $14 name or worthless for wholesale.

•••
Back