Dynadot

debate Sacrificing a good domain for $ 5 ( Ridiculous price battle )

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Dondomainer

domainnamescom.comTop Member
Impact
More than a year ago i put for sale here the domain Virtual Tax Office dot com for just $100 ..and not once, but several times, but nobody was interested, then in my last attempt for the same price, someone offer $35...amount that was rejected... by the end of the year, I started receiving offers for one person, from the 100 to 1500 which was the final sale price.

In case you have not noticed what happened here I emphasize it.. someone missed the opportunity of win $1500 for try to earn more from me, and this is what happens 99% of all my domains for sale here (100 or lees than the price what do i expect) they don't materialize because the other part try to win a few dollars more...and when I say some dollars, I mean even $ 5 bucks.. what is sincerely ridiculous..from an investment vs. profit point of view.

I means, what is this about ?... try to win the one who registered $5,10,20, $100 ..and if not you dont want it anymore or see the opportunity above all and when I refer to seeing the opportunity I do not mean the typical fantastic explanations about what you domain is great but to specific results since the technology or services industry is going in that direction ... Like when Rick S buy for $2K smart glass dot com, you believe that Rick was going to quit for $100 ? I do not think so...and by the way, the moment he bought it that word..there was already information about where the technology was going.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Some valuable reflections from multiple perspectives in the thread. As others mentioned, in all things domaining we should look at big picture and not be overly focussed on how one case turned out (congrats on nice sale BTW).

I think pricing-wise yes, in many cases, what people who buy here are willing to pay is often very low. But that is because typical sell through rates are very low. Someone offers $50 sure money today vs a 1 in 100 chance of it selling at 50x to 100x that in the next year.

Bob

•••
It works both ways, you were only $5 away from throwing away a $1500 sale.

What about the buyers who didn't negotiate as hard on a $35, $40 name and ended up flipping it? You could have left thousands on the table, too.

Hindsight is a game changer!

This is what I was going to say. Why is the OP selling $1,500 domains for $100?

Apart from that it's a numbers game. Buying 100 domains at $35 means you spent $3,500. Buying 100 at $1000 means you spent $10,000. It's easier to make a profit if you only spent $3,500.

•••
It works both ways, you were only $5 away from throwing away a $1500 sale.

What about the buyers who didn't negotiate as hard on a $35, $40 name and ended up flipping it? You could have left thousands on the table, too.

Hindsight is a game changer!

Fantastic response (y)

•••
I would think both scenarios mentioned here, viz: trying to low ball a low bin and losing the larger end user sale, or picking the domain at the low BIN and being the lucky person to sell to the end user, -
Well, both these scenarios are still not as common as the usual scenario which is, you put a domain for sale for $100, you get low-balled on the forum to $25 or so, you wouldn't let the domain go, you sit on it, you get no end user sale for $1500, you keep renewing the domain for a few years hoping it would sell for a decent price in the near term.
Probably the scenario that gets played out more frequently!:xf.smile:

Last edited:
•••
I think the explanation is on this reply.

As @bmugford

This plays out everyday, I congratulate you on your sale, I think you did great, it's not a domain worth $100 to another domainer on Namepros unless they had a real interest and a real in within that industry. Because like Brad said, you have to count them all, Page Howe listed a bunch of names here, some I like, but how many do I buy for $99 and just wait, Page has been waiting, he is a pro, so if he wants to sell for $99 or $49 or $29 he is ready to move on, so I can't buy 20 of them I will look at my favorite one or two names on the list.

Look I wrote volumes of posts when I ran the .tv subforum, one theme was one through ten in English, Spanish, French and German, after I wrote these posts, every name was registered from those who read those posts, I owned Eins.tv (1) Sechs.tv (6) and Acht.tv (8) in German along with Six.tv and Deux.tv (2) in French. Acht.tv I eventually dropped because it got not one bit of interest, even offered it here back in the day for $50. I let it drop another .tver regged it, he got a $2,500 offer and one of the best of our group JohnTV negotiated for him and got $10,000 because he was Dutch and it also meant Eight in Dutch.

There is always going to be missed opportunity here, on the buy and sell side.

Many of us assume that other domainers know the same things.(not objectively, only intentionally ) but lesson learned...- why?...because today generic terms have changed, and if you want to find them you have to investigate ( something that doesn't happen too much) ...then is normal devaluation and lost opportunities.

Last edited:
•••
PS I would've thought that $1.5k sale, would've put you in a better frame of mind - I'd be thinking, thank God I didn't sell it for a measly $100

Exactly! @BaileyUK I think you nailed it right here

•••
As Kenny would say.
"You got to know when to holdem."

•••
I have had names I owned featured on top sites as the featured domain of month I once owned. Yes it sucks to make poor decisions stick to gut feelings or thin cull out the names it can be tough.

Last edited:
•••
you were only $5 away from throwing away a $1500 sale.

This reminds me when my $950 offer was rejected for $1,100 "buy it now" NNNN.com name just weeks or months before all the NNNN.com names went rocket sky, back in 2015. I believe @biggie was the seller. I lost potentially really good profit because of $150, but who knew.

Last edited:
•••
Selling a domain here on NP is more like wholesaling a car at a dealer auction.

Selling to other domain investors on any platform makes me feel more like I'm bringing my broken down car to a scrap yard.

Pennies on the dollar at best.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back