Dynadot

domain s a n p e d r o c a c t u s .com - I paid 13,695 for my dream domain name

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Status
Not open for further replies.

psychedelic

Established Member
Impact
www. s a n p e d r o c a c t u s .com

In 2013 I had a life changing psychedelic experience on a substance that relatively few people even know about.
This substance is a cactus known as the "san pedro cactus"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Echinopsis_pachanoi

This domain name recently expired and was picked up by Huge Domains for $360(They made a good healthy profit on this one).

San Pedro means Saint Peter, and the cactus is named as such because Saint Peter holds the keys to heaven.
The san pedro cactus contains mescaline, as do other species of cacti, but there is something unique about the san pedro cactus. The experience is particularly gentle and euphoric in a way that is hard to describe(this has to do with the cocktail of other psychedelic alkaloids other than mescaline)

The San Pedro Cactus subreddit has over 40,000 members:
https://www.reddit.com/r/sanpedrocactus/

I didn't purchase this domain name to make a profit; I purchased it because it is an exact match dot com for the specific psychedelic which has changed my life in profound ways, and it feels like fate and a once in a lifetime opportunity to own the domain. Really shows you the value of a domain name is subjective. A domain name is worth what someone is willing to pay.

While my motivation was not financial, I am interested in what you think of the price?

Also what are some ways I could put this domain name to use?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I presume u were under it while paying tis money for it

•••
•••
Glad you got your dream domain, I suggest doing/learning some keyword research.

•••
For someone that has no interest in this cactus, from a price standpoint...man that's expensive. For someone that has meaning to it, likes it, connects with it, has benefit of it in some way...fine, power to you

I didn't buy it, you did. If you don't mind paying what you did, that isn't my business, nor the business of anyone. With regards to use, find others that share this same passion, experience, love for it as you...make it work in some way (if you can). Generally, I'd be happier with a better "thing", for the money paid. Example: Psychedelic Experience dot com. Even for that, I'd be looking to pay Mid X,XXX probably. 5 figures is over the odds, I'd want something pretty "meaty" for that (one way of putting it...basically a better word, term or meaning of the situation)...but again, its your money. IMO

Last edited:
•••
I'm actually more interested in how you got to paying what you did. Like you had to fight people off, the demand is so high for it, to warrant 5 figures...baring in mind too relatively few people know about it, as you said. You'd absolutely be on the good end of it if just "san pedro dot com" of course, but jesus...I don't mean to sound out of line, but something tells me they'd accept X,XXX with a little negotiation. IMO

Last edited:
•••
•••
JHM, thank you for the thoughtful and respectful reply.
I didn't negotiate the price. I did think about it, but I was afraid of them raising the price upon learning someone had made a significant offer.
I personally think that mescaline is the most under-appreciated psychedelic, and that this is going to change within the next several years. I personally think the domain is worth a lot more than what I paid for it, but it is such a niche domain that someone who is only interested in domain names generally with no knowledge or interest in the psychedelic niche, or even mescaline specifically, is not going to appreciate.

Another note is that the san pedro cactus falls into a certain legal gray area, where it is legal to purchase for ornamental purposes. There are all sorts of websites where you can legally purchase this cactus

https://trichocereus.com/
sanpedrosource.com
https://www.gardenia.net/plant/trichocereus-pachanoi

I'm not sure what the total market value of san pedro cactus sales is, certainly thousands of dollars per year are being spent on this cactus in legal markets.

As psychedelics become more accepted and known, I expect this market to expand exponentially.

Also I want to emphasize that this cactus changed my life, I am super passionate about it. I am perfectly happy to own this domain for the rest of my life.

I'm not crazy about the other comments which are immediately dismissive and disrespectful before people even try to understand where you are coming from. People hope to sell a domain for xx,xxx some day, yet they shame people who pay that much for a domain. Maybe if people want to become wealthy they should move into a more abundant mindset.

•••
Drugs can make people emotionally incontinent. People are making light of it but drug use shouldn't be applauded or encouraged as if it's normal imho.

It's a lot to pay for a long domain, but as long as you're happy that's the main thing. I agree that the worth of a domain is in the eye of the buyer. I've bought names for more than most would pay just cause I want the name. Nothing wrong with that. 👍

•••
As long as both buyer and seller walked away satisfied, you did fine. Remember, this is a group of domainers that always want to buy low and sell high.

The experience I've gained doing this definitely keeps me from buying domains that I don't feel I could sell at a profit even in my other businesses and interests.

We are incapable (usually) of having an emotional attachment to domain names - it is just business. I even have my other business names up for sale. If the price is right, I'll change my business name 😁

Best of luck in your business.

PS: Domainers really should be more supportive when end users make posts like this.

•••
Drugs can make people emotionally incontinent. People are making light of it but drug use shouldn't be applauded or encouraged as if it's normal imho.

It's a lot to pay for a long domain, but as long as you're happy that's the main thing. I agree that the worth of a domain is in the eye of the buyer. I've bought names for more than most would pay just cause I want the name. Nothing wrong with that. 👍
The cactus is a sacred medicine, not a drug, IMO

•••
As long as both buyer and seller walked away satisfied, you did fine. Remember, this is a group of domainers that always want to buy low and sell high.

The experience I've gained doing this definitely keeps me from buying domains that I don't feel I could sell at a profit even in my other businesses and interests.

We are incapable (usually) of having an emotional attachment to domain names - it is just business. I even have my other business names up for sale. If the price is right, I'll change my business name 😁

Best of luck in your business.

PS: Domainers really should be more supportive when end users make posts like this.
Agreed, thank you.

•••
•••
Wikipedia says it contains the psychedelic drug "Mescaline".
But you are using the term drug in a way that implies something negative. Some drugs can be medicines which can help treat conditions, and I believe mescaline generally and this cactus specifically is a medicine. So yes technically it is a drug, but it does not belong in the same category as drugs of abuse like cocaine, meth or heroin, or even alcohol. Alcohol is perfectly legal and causes way more damage to society than this cactus which is a plant that naturally grows upon the planet.

This cactus helped me overcome years of social anxiety and insecurity in a way that nothing else did. So for me it is a medicine. It's not something I abuse or use recklessly.

•••
You saw the value based on personal experience and bought the domain. Good for you. I hope you make a nice ROI on this.

•••

yes as long as after tis buy he still got money left for some.more San pedro. then I suppose it's alright with mama

•••
JHM, thank you for the thoughtful and respectful reply.
I didn't negotiate the price. I did think about it, but I was afraid of them raising the price upon learning someone had made a significant offer.
I respectfully propose that there always seems to be another significant offer around at the time one wants to purchase a domain name.

If it makes you happy as an end-user then that is great.

Last edited:
•••
But you are using the term drug in a way that implies something negative. Some drugs can be medicines which can help treat conditions, and I believe mescaline generally and this cactus specifically is a medicine. So yes technically it is a drug, but it does not belong in the same category as drugs of abuse like cocaine, meth or heroin, or even alcohol. Alcohol is perfectly legal and causes way more damage to society than this cactus which is a plant that naturally grows upon the planet.

This cactus helped me overcome years of social anxiety and insecurity in a way that nothing else did. So for me it is a medicine. It's not something I abuse or use recklessly.
"No one gets outta here alive" and "The Doors of Perception". Two of my absolute favorite books.
Thanks for sharing your own experience.

•••
That’s why Huge Domains keeps making profit and covering the salaries of their employees !

•••
•••
•••
Drug addicts do crazy things...

•••
•••
Drug addicts do crazy things...

And the 'sober' spend €100K on a pic of a funky looking ape.

I think spending about €13K on a domain which has significant meaning to you is a much better way to spend your money.

Last edited:
•••
And the 'sober' spend €100K on a pic of a funky looking ape.

I think spending about €13K on a domain which has significant meaning to you is a much better way to spend your money.

100k on tape.are millionaires... 13k on name like this are just...well..high ;)

that's big.difference

•••
Status
Not open for further replies.
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back