Dynadot

Rick turns $70 into $750K

NameSilo
Watch
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
That all dream of domainer.

•••
skylineleong said:
That all dream of domainer.

The same with Sex.com, it was registered 13 years ago, when nobody wanted/thought about domain names being collectibles. It sold for 12 million.

These guys are visionaries.

•••
We like your style Rick, welcome.

•••
looks like the domain Rick sold was ireport.com + i-report.com to CNN according to domaining.com

"Following up on a post from a few days ago, it was revealed that Rick Schwartz sold the name iReport.com to CNN for $750,000. Also included in this price is the hyphenated version, i-Report.com. These great domain names will be used by CNN to supplement their i-Report program. Founded in August of 2006, i-Report encourages viewers...."

http://www.elliotsblog.com/index.php/2008/01/17/cnn-buys-ireportcom-for-750000/

WOW D-: Nice sale Rick, congrats :)

Just found more info here at DnJournal

http://www.dnjournal.com/archive/lowdown/2008/dailyposts/01-17-08.htm

Last edited:
•••
name that he sold for $750,000 was iReport.com & i-Report.com (Free with iReport.com)

It clearly says in the article.

•••
I am thinking Rick has a unique view of a domains worth.

I am sure most domainers would have been happy to have sold the name for $10,000.

Thats the difference with Rick, he has been saying for a long time, corporate America has missed the boat with domains. He is not going to let any of his names go for anything less than what he feels the name is worth. Of course when you have a big fish on the line, it is worth the struggle to slowly reel it in.

This is a real eye popping sales price and domainers could benefit from seeing the potential for the end user when the perfect name lands in their lap.

Last edited:
•••
Congrats and welcome indeed, Rick..

(If you are still reading..)

•••
VirusDetails.com said:
I wonder how well he'd do today starting with little $$$$ ?

Would he be bale to achieve anywhere near the success he has today ?

Not as easy as it was back then for someone who knew about domains.

I guess the point is guys like him saw the potential of regging quality domains in the 90's, when most of us were watching TV or just surfing the net for fun.

•••
gazzip said:
looks like the domain Rick sold was ireport.com + i-report.com to CNN according to domaining.com

Nice name and excellent ROI.

•••
Back