IT.COM

Rick turns $70 into $750K

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
wot said:
Telecom.com :? :)

Same owner as Telekom.com
nice!!

Thanks Wot :]

•••
James said:
nice!!

Thanks Wot :]

Thanks to tricolloro - Patrick :hi:

•••
I do think Rick has done Wonders for all domainers, but others have as well. I don't see Frank S. or Ron J. or Monte talking about there money all the time. I just don't get the fact that he is always talking about his money and yapping about his 5,000 sq ft suite... Who cares if you are staying in the engine room! :)

I guess it just bugs me when people talk about the money they have.... It's not very classy IMO.

•••
It's easy for us to say he was just lucky for getting in to the market early but if any of us had that domain in 1997 how many of us would have sold out years ago for $100K or $200K or a paltry half million, he knew what he was doing to pull off a sale like that!

•••
Yes Yofie,

I too think sometimes when people talk about money it shows a little vanity.

The exception to that rule for me is if I am among friends.

I dare say Monte, or Frank S, were probably inspired many times by the success and at times boast coming from Rick. I have only been in this business a few years so I may not know the real history of these guys. I suspect though Monte and Frank were rapid rising stars after Rick blazed the trail.

Monte is not just a domainer, he runs a large auction house, and that makes his statements a little more corporate. Listening to Rick reminds me of a friendly chat at a card game or grabbing a beer somewhere. I would welcome the boasts as what he is doing and the money he is churning makes him like Donald Trump in most domainers eyes.

So the only thing that is different in their way of talking about money is Rick talks like a domainer might talk to a friend he is telling the domain business too. Maybe a little more colorful than some. The Montes of our world brag too. For instance when they say they sold 4 million dollars worth of domains at a recent auction in some public statement.

I wish more domainers who have made it would tell us how much they made this week and how. I need all the inspiration I can get.

Last edited:
•••
It's nice someone took the plunge back then but please don't brag!

Itsallaboutme.com thats his next site? :)

accentnepal said:
If Rick had to start over with $500 (and had the energy of youth) he would do something that few or no other people have considered. That was what he did 20 years ago, it did not need to be domains, it just happened that was where he found an opening. And he might fail this time, perhaps he failed a few times before he got into domains.

Be a great question to ask him, if you had only $500 where would you put it?

L-L-L.com

•••
goodkarmaco said:
Yes Yofie,

I too think sometimes when people talk about money it shows a little vanity.

The exception to that rule for me is if I am among friends.

I will dare say Monte, or Frank S, was probably inspired many times by the success and at times boast coming from Rick. I have only been in this business a few years so I may not know the real histroy of these guys. I suspect though Monte and Frank were rapid rising stars after Rick blazed the trail.

Monte is not just a domainer, he runs a large auction house, and that makes his statements a little more corporate. Listening to Rick reminds me of a friendly chat at a card game or grabbing a beer somewhere. I would welcome the boasts as what he is doing and the money he is churning makes him like Donald Trump in most domainers eyes.

So the only thing that is different in their way of talking about money is Rick talks like a domainer might talk to a friend he is telling the domain business too. Maybe a little more colorful than some. The Montes of our world brag too. For instance when they say they sold 4 million dollars worth of domains at a recent auction in some public statement.

I wish more domainers who have made it would tell us how much they made this week and how. I need all the inspiration I can get.

OK - already this year I have sold -------- some domain names :)

•••
•••
tricolorro said:
:hi:

A couple of German domain forums broke the news.

Deutsche Telekom bought Telecom.com from Rick.

Talk about Dialing For Dollars! :)

Patrick

ahhh, very nice, neither of the two I thought it may have been :hehe:

Rick...keep on cruising :tu:

•••
wasn't the one i thought it was ;)

I think some of rick talking about how well he is doing is for inspiration for us peons :) unlike rush limbaugh bragging about his millions

Last edited:
•••
Timewarp said:
It's easy for us to say he was just lucky for getting in to the market early but if any of us had that domain in 1997 how many of us would have sold out years ago for $100K or $200K or a paltry half million, he knew what he was doing to pull off a sale like that!

Well said

•••
Yofie said:
I do think Rick has done Wonders for all domainers, but others have as well. I don't see Frank S. or Ron J. or Monte talking about there money all the time. I just don't get the fact that he is always talking about his money and yapping about his 5,000 sq ft suite... Who cares if you are staying in the engine room! :)

I guess it just bugs me when people talk about the money they have.... It's not very classy IMO.
Rick likes to show off for sure :)
I still think that in terms of exposure he has done a lot for the industry and we benefit from the growing awareness.

Now I also know of a few successful domainers who have top portfolios like him but most prefer to remain in the shadows :hehe:

•••
And the good news...................

Theres still a future in domaining imho :)

•••
The information being made up here and now elsewhere is not accurate. I did not sell Telcom.com. I don't and never have owned that domain. The domain I sold will be announced in 1-2 weeks.

Just want to set the record straight.

Thank you!

•••
Rick Schwartz said:
The information being made up here and now elsewhere is not accurate. I did not sell Telcom.com. I don't and never have owned that domain. The domain I sold will be announced in 1-2 weeks.

Thank you!

just wanted to be the first to...........

:snaphappy: :sold:

welcome leg-end

•••
Very nice turnaround Rick.
I turned $75,000 into $7,500 . Hold on ,I'm talking about my horrible year in the stock market. exaggerated of course.

Regards

•••
•••
tricolorro said:

Patrick
Just looking at Whois history clearly shows this is not the case for Telecom.com .

Owner since 8/2002
Registrant:
Symmetricom Inc.
2300 Orchard Parkway
San Jose, CA 95131
US

New Owner as of 01/02/2008
Registrant:
Low Gravity Limited
6 Avenue Kleber
Paris 75116
FR

Current owner as of 01/04/2008
Registrant:
Deutsche Telekom AG
Friedrich-Ebert-Allee 140
Bonn, - 53113
DE

Telcom.com is owned by Telecom, Inc and has been since at least 2000.

•••
Rick Schwartz said:

Thank you!
Makes a lot of "expert" predictions wrong then :)
Can't wait to find out what name it is.. Cheers

•••
tricolorro said:

Patrick

Correction? Retraction?

Rick says he did NOT sell Telcom.com.

I'm sure he meant Telecom.com

The name servers on Telecom.com recently changed.

Since Telecom.com is a biggie domain someone doing a little
detective work probably jumped to the wrong conclusion.

And I propagated it.

My bad. :td:

Mea culpa, Rick.

Patrick

•••
Haha that's funny. This guy is supposedly such a legend and he's only just now new to NamePros.

Well, welcome Rick :)

-Frikkle

•••
I was going to say I would hope telecom.com would go for a lot more than $750,000

•••
•••
I can truthfully and honestly say that Rick Schwartz did not sell Telecom.com or was it not Telcom.com , he sold ---------- + many others.

Interesting his first post after joining nearly one year ago is to say he did not do something. :gl:

Last edited:
•••
nrmillions said:
A lot of names regged in the 90s for $70 or even for free are worth six figures now. The hard thing to do would be to reg a name right now in 2008 for $7 and have it sell to an enduser for $700k.

Yes, just what I was thinking. :)

-AAE- said:
Wow.

Im wondering what name he sold :D

Will be out in this week's Dnjournal.

Rick Schwartz said:

Thank you!

I cannot imagine the no'of pm's you have now. :)

•••
Back