IT.COM

discuss [Resolved] Domainer Loses $26k On A Stolen Domain!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Silentptnr

Domains88.comTop Member
Impact
Darn! Another scam and this time it is an experienced domainer James Booth.

James must have thought he was making a sound acquisition as he transferred approximately 26k to escrow for CQD.com. Instead, after completing the escrow, the domain was taken from his account by the registrar without notification and returned to the "true" owner.

Turns out the person that sold him the domain CQD.com, may not have been the true owner.

Apparently this incident involves several parties including the registrar and the escrow.

Thanks to Theo over at DomainGang for the tip on this.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Last edited:
•••
thank you maple dots. i feel like I'm on trail for something i did not do or authorize. selling domains requires no license. i will see that that gets changed and that the industry is regulated...worldwide standards should apply. CQD.com was born in Florida, USA and that is where it belongs! It needs to be returned to me and booth needs to file his claim against escrow.com. it doesn't matter what their service agreement reads. in my humble opinion they are #1 in the lineup of allowing WIRE FRAUD to occur in this email SPOOF and cyber attack on me and my domain. james uses a google number for his "texas office"

(713) 701-5642
Type: Non-Fixed VoIP
(e.g. Skype or Google Voice)
Original carrier: Southwestern Bell
Phone owner's name not available

mine:
(352) 870-5272
Type: Mobile
Original carrier: Powertel Jacksonville Licenses, Inc.
R- - - - - - | B - - - - - -

https://www.whitepages.com

hey, look how i turned down a 35k SEP 2015 offer ya'll! and then a 20k JUN 2016. I'm looking for the 80k offer i declined too. i've email after email after email WITH my response of NO, not enough money! not giving it away! why would i take 25k and run it through a commission based escrow at that stupid price? but look where it got me. Angryrantz should be my user name. you're damn right I'm pissed! and i will not leave this alone either. ever.

$80,000 was not giving it away. If it's priceless to you from a sentimental value I understand, but $80,000 is not giving it away.

•••
Jack is a friend and he brought CQD.com to my attention and I purchased it. He shared all his communications with the seller with me prior to the purchase and everything seemed legitimate.

james you dealt with a FAKE SELLER. NOT ME!
and you know my domain is stolen! i have stated this many times.
prove that you dealt with me. PROOF!
you can't cause you did not deal with me or anyone who knows me. i would never ever sold my domain at your 25k offer and paid a commission on it.

•••
It needs to be returned to me and booth needs to file his claim against escrow.com.
It also appears that your lawyer needs to carefully check all(!) 64 pages of "bidding on your own names at namejet" this forums thread of the last year. Recent post of @MapleDots shows that the story may be much more complicated.

•••
$80,000 was not giving it away. If it's priceless to you from a sentimental value I understand, but $80,000 is not giving it away.

but i did/do not need to sell it [give it away] for $80k. i had it for sale for $150k (cause i could) at afternic for over 2 years. i am not in the business of reselling domains. i have owned it for 22+ years. it's my brand. it's my boutique graphic design business that i have worked hard at since 1990!

•••
but i did/do not need to sell it [give it away] for $80k. i had it for sale for $150k (cause i could) at afternic for over 2 years. i am not in the business of reselling domains. i have owned it for 22+ years. it's my brand. it's my boutique graphic design business that i have worked hard at since 1990!

Oh I agree you should hold for whatever price you like, I just meant someone was not trying to lowball you at $80,000.

•••
It also appears that your lawyer needs to carefully check all(!) 64 pages of "bidding on your own names at namejet" this forums thread of the last year. Recent post of @MapleDots shows that the story may be much more complicated.

fraudulent and convoluted are two words i think of.
wire fraud! email spoofing! two more.
{failure to} provide specific performance also comes to mind. another.

the list keeps going.

•••
They bought the domain from Mr. T-Rex in Jurassic Age and sold to Han Solo 'May the stolen domain 'NOT' be with you ~~ star wars background tune~~'

@spoiltrider , is the wheel turning for you? Any progress?

the wheel here seems to be square and should not be turning at all. this conversation should not be happening. booth needs to give it up and give it back! escrow.com although a 3rd party in this...they are accountable for their unaccountable actions. i can't wrap my head around how self-righteous scammers can make this shit up and actually plan this stuff out all for the love of money and 5 mins of fame. give me the Holy Bible and i will attest that as God is my witness i did not do this, nor do i deserve the mental anguish it's putting on me. UG! i am betting the buyer was hoping that i am ignorant to how the computer even turns on. hmmpf!

•••
•••
Last edited:
•••

I can relate to this somewhat. I had a domain for sale, got some offers on it, was thinking of selling it for around $5000. Then I decided instead to create a new business on it, which the website is now launched and active, and in the meantime have the domain listed at Afternic for $150,000., high enough so that most likely no one will buy it, but if they do, I'd just move my business to a different URL.

•••
I can relate to this somewhat. I had a domain for sale, got some offers on it, was thinking of selling it for around $5000. Then I decided instead to create a new business on it, which the website is now launched and active, and in the meantime have the domain listed at Afternic for $150,000., high enough so that most likely no one will buy it, but if they do, I'd just move my business to a different URL.

exactly! and thank you! only my web site has been up and running since 1996 when i first created it in pagemill. for $150kl i would feel good about selling my "child" and using my pointer domain and starting over again, with time to shut down the emails that were still active to my domain email address [and bouncing back or doing whatever they're doing now] since they have nowhere to go??
who will protect me from that identity theft?

•••
You really grilled with your post. It was like a resurrection for spoiltrider. ;)

As someone who enjoyed your "previous" posts as well: Thanks for sticking around!

yes, and Easter is now upon us.

•••
•••
A potential win-win would be worth their time to explore, but seems unlikely at this "Internet Forum Thunderdome" stage of alternative dispute resolution.

Thunderdome.jpg

Once they get their jiggies out, they might both become more reasonable.

looks more like this....

Attachments

• current dream state.jpg
    current dream state.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 103
•••
•••
with time to shut down the emails that were still active to my domain email address [and bouncing back or doing whatever they're doing now] since they have nowhere to go??

At the time of this writing, any emails to @cqd.com domain are bouncing back immediately. As per dns output:

>nslookup -q=mx cqd.com
>Server: 127.0.0.1
>Address: 127.0.0.1#53
>
>** server can't find cqd.com: SERVFAIL

•••
I don't see how a catch all would necessarily lead to these sorts of issues described in this thread, all a catch all does is direct incoming emails that are not specifically created to the main email --- as long as you have control of the main email you are fine, and if you lose control of the main email having or not having it already set for catch all would not necessarily matter, because the new controller could just implement a catch all anyway after taking over the account, and besides that the new controller would need to delete any other email addresses that are already set because the ones already set would receive those specific emails anyway.

All a catch all does is catch emails that are not specifically set as email addresses. And again, once someone takes over your email he could set it for catch all anyway.

Last edited:
•••
besides that the new controller would need to delete any other email addresses that are already set because the ones already set would receive those specific emails anyway.
Huh?

•••
Jack is a friend and he brought CQD.com to my attention and I purchased it. He shared all his communications with the seller with me prior to the purchase and everything seemed legitimate.

Booth, just to keep things clear here, is the Jack you speak of a different Jack or the one who initially bought it? I assume a different one but just to clear that up.

•••

If you don’t understand my post you haven’t set up multiple emails before. Once you have and then set one to be a catch all, you’ll understand. The process and way a catch all works is different for a Cpanel email too versus a straight paid (not free) business email account not done via cpanel and is again different for a free email.

Just explaining all this is pointless if you don’t understand the nuances of multiple emails and catch alls and rules that may be implemented to route incoming emails in different ways. On my Outlook Mac 2016 alone I have dozens of emails all set up both imap and pop with sophisticated in and out boxes following dozens of rules, because I run dozens of different companies, not to mention all my (lesser used) web based emails.

I’m available for hire $$$ to teach all of this.

•••
digging

Last edited:
•••
Can someone or @spoiltrider please post those screen shots of escrow again, all of them, I am not able to find them and wish to avoid reading back.

•••
I don't see how a catch all would necessarily lead to these sorts of issues described in this thread, all a catch all does is direct incoming emails that are not specifically created to the main email --- as long as you have control of the main email you are fine, and if you lose control of the main email having or not having it already set for catch all would not necessarily matter, because the new controller could just implement a catch all anyway after taking over the account, and besides that the new controller would need to delete any other email addresses that are already set because the ones already set would receive those specific emails anyway.

All a catch all does is catch emails that are not specifically set as email addresses. And again, once someone takes over your email he could set it for catch all anyway.

my emails are at risk. identity theft to the next level. if i don't have the domain, i don't get the emails. every day that passes is another day of issues.

•••

Attachments

• Escrow (1).jpg
    Escrow (1).jpg
    240.8 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
•••
Back