Dynadot

[RESOLVED] - Domain Name Stolen...A Horrible Story and a Warning...

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hi All. I've not been in here for a number of years, but a week ago I had my domain of 20 years (dustie.com) stolen and I have to tell the story. it looks like I'm out of luck here, and out a lot of money, but maybe my story can help prevent this happening to someone else. This happened at Godaddy, though I don't blame them, and i still have all of my domains with them, as well as my websites. I blame the no good slimy thief who stole my domain name!

Here's the story... First off, my name is Dustie, and I've owned Dustie.com since 1998.
Sometime in 2017 (I think) I decided to go ahead and list dustie.com as a premium domain for a high price. It being my name, I wasn't real keen on selling it, but, as they say, everything is for sale for the right price. I'd had someone offer me 5,000.00 for it, but after taxes (it would have put me in a higher tax bracket for the year) and commisison, it wasn't worth it wasn't worth it to sell it for that amount. However, I figured that if someone were willing to pay that for it, maybe someone would pay even more. So I listed it as a premium domain for 20,000.00. I seriously didn't think it would sell but it woudn't hurt to list it (or so I thought).

All was well, until a bit over a week ago. I had been out that evening and didn't get home till nearly 10:00 PM. It was 11:00 before I was able to get onto the computer. That's when I saw the 5 emails from Godaddy.... I'm sure you can imaging my reaction when I saw that, within 20 minutes, my domain name, dustie.com, which I have owned since 1998, sold and transferred for a mere 450.00? I was sick...simply sick. How could this happen! First off, I've never had a domain name sell and transfer inside of 21 minutes and then be paid for it a little over a day and a half later. That's unheard of!

Immediately after reading those 5 emails and realizing my domain name had sold for less then 5% of what I'd had it listed for on Premium Domains, I was online with Godaddy help. Though they were sympathetic, no one there could help. They said I'd have to wait till morning and call auctions help. Needless to say, I didn't sleep well and was on the phone as soon as they opened their office. Though I was on the phone for a good 30 or so minutes with them (a good part of that time on hold), I was ultimately told there was nothing they could do for me. My domain was bought, paid for, and transferred and that was that! (Oh, and this even though they found the price had been tampered with twice that same night, long before I got online). They said this had to be me because no one else had access to that account! That was proof to me that someone was in there messing with my account and screwed me over big time, but not to them.

So I've been sick all week...trying to forget that someone illegally reached into my pocket and stole a lot of money , as well as my NAME! Needless to say, even a week later, I'm just sick about the whole thing.

Today, on a lark I looked up dustie.com on godaddy and was sick all over again when I saw that it is now listed as a premium domain for 12,000.00 (by the person who stole it from me?). That's just wrong, in so many ways! How do I get over this? I want to know how this could have happened!!??

I am posting in here as a warning to you all, as well as wanting to go on record that this did happen, regardless that the guy at [email protected] said that dustie.com had always been listed at 450.00 and it was a legitimate sale! I know how to use GoDaddy. I'm a long time user and have over 50 domain names with GoDaddy, more the half listed as premium domains! Ever since Dustie.com was originally listed as a premium domain at 20,000.00 that was the price that showed up whenever I went to maintain my premium listings. It always stuck out like a sore thumb, because most my other domain names are listed below 1000.00. There is simply no way Dustie.com was ever listed for as little as 450.00. Even go daddy suggested a price of nearly $5,000 as a premium listing starting point for dustie.com.

Without a doubt, my godaddy account was hacked and my domain name of 20 years stolen from me and relisted for 27 times what they paid for it! That burns me to the core!!!

I'm sure that, since this happened to me it will surely happen again. If any of you hear about such a thing, could you please have them get in touch with me? If I can find others that this has happened to, maybe we can do something as a group?

In the meantime, if you have a valuable domain name on Godaddy Premium domains, then you might want to take screen shots of the listed prices. Also, I was told that if I had the original email when it was listed that would be proof that it was listed at 20,000.00. Alas, I did not have it...I had, not long ago, deleted emails that were more then a year and a half old. If you don't have emails for your most valuable domain names, then remove them from listing, then relist them to get a new email and save those emails just in case!!

And Thanks for listening to my very long rant!

Dustie
(was [email protected] for over 20 years...now I am [email protected] and my site is dustie.art ... cool name, but it's certainly not worth what I lost in dustie.com!)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
First you call me an idiot and then as usual you edit your response and say I'm coming across as an idiot. I know with you it is best to wait 20 minutes so no more editing can be done so I can answer to EXACTLY what you said the first time. 😁

Ok you guys. If you are going to hijack my thread, then you must play nice.

•••
@Dustie do you (or did you have) email address something @ dustie.com as your godaddy account email? It is not too clear what the real reason of these technical issues might be.
Also, where exactly did you enter dustie.art email?

•••
That happened to me once in godaddy, after checking for a name, if it was available, I saw that the name was available, after adding the name to my cart for payment the next thing I saw was missing name. You are right, godaddy uses script to register names that they see is good.
We do not and have never done this. Period full stop.

•••
First you call me an idiot and then as usual you edit your response and say I'm coming across as an idiot. I know with you it is best to wait 20 minutes so no more editing can be done so I can answer to EXACTLY what you said the first time. 😁

Correct. I decided to soften my verbiage. Is that a bad thing?

But none of it had to do with reading your response. I leave my window open and edit everything I post on NP before I let it go as final. I'm reviewing for everything including grammar punctuation diction all that. Missed thoughts. etc.

I suggest you start doing the same. Lest your posts come across as half baked.

As the Emperor Cl-cl-cl-Claudius said, "Isn't what a man says, more important than how long he takes to say it?"

Last edited:
•••
Ok you guys. If you are going to hijack my thread.
Hey! lol. So she knows a little more about the 'web than some thought. "Hijack" (y):xf.grin:

•••
Correct. I decided to soften my verbiage. Is that a bad thing?

But none of it had to do with reading your response. I leave my window open and edit everything I post on NP before I let it go as final. I'm reviewing for everything including grammar punctuation diction all that. Missed thoughts. etc.

I suggest you start doing the same. Lest your posts come across as half baked.

As the Emperor Cl-cl-cl-Claudius said, "Isn't what a man says, more important than how long he takes to say it?"
Take your own advice and WAIT until you get your thoughts 100% before pressing reply. Pretty simple.

•••
Editing involves seeing how it actually posts, looks, etc. Anyway, you're perhaps not a writer. Do it your own way, but when you post longer posts seconds after the post above appears (as you're doing) there is no way you are giving it your best shot.

In any case, I'll keep editing / revising to make my posts the best they may be, and you just post seconds after you see whatever you wish to reply to. To each his own.

Last edited:
•••
Just a footnote about security - probably you can enable 2FA on your hosting account, and since people mentioned Wordpress, the free Wordfence plugin will easily and automatically let you limit login attempts to any Wordpresss site and block those who keep trying, those who try to hack the site via known exploits etc.

As far as what happened for the list price of the domain to change, there seems to be quite a list of possibilities and if it was a GD system error, or another Afternic bug, or an inside job does anyone expect them to admit that? Yes in theory it could have been user error, or a hack, or a conspiracy by giant lizards (whoops, wrong thread). Yes, like everyone one else I would like to know how this actually happened.

I'll say it again, it really is a good precaution to download a spreadsheet of all your listings and prices at each marketplace.

Last edited:
•••
Let’s cut the shit. Did @Dustie get the domain secured? Can @Joe Styler give insight as to what happened here? We like full transparency!

•••
@Dustie do you (or did you have) email address something @ dustie.com as your godaddy account email? It is not too clear what the real reason of these technical issues might be.
Also, where exactly did you enter dustie.art email?

I entered dustie.art in the form that was part of the transfer process which asked for my name, address, email to confirm account information. My GoDaddy account email address was changed when I lost [email protected]. It's ICANN who is trying to send an email to [email protected] for approval of the transfer since I hadn't updated that email to [email protected].

They said they needed approvals from both email address holders before the transfer can be completed??? ICANN address was still [email protected] as it was one of the places I rarely use and never thought to update the email address. I've updated it now though, so hopefully they'll catch that???

Last edited:
•••
Hi @Dustie -

I understand.

However - you still should send the list of questions I outlined to Joe. If you don't, then GD leaves themselves open to scrutiny with the situation and also (and more important) how will you or I or anyone else know how to protect ourselves from this happening to us?

Not asking the questions is (in my opinion) not pursuing the truth.

I don't believe I am alone with wanting to assess the details myself and draw my own conclusions.

I can certainly say if this happens again - I doubt their will be such warm reception the 2nd time around - especially if we are left NOT KNOWING the details that the review team identified.

There is NO HARM in providing such details. It would add SIGNIFICANT credibility to their findings.

-Cougar

Don't expect much luck from that. They have said they cannot find anything wrong with their system and have washed their hands of this transaction. Refusing to get involved and leaving the sale as valid. There isn't much goodwill with that. Except from @maxtra.

•••
Hey! lol. So she knows a little more about the 'web than some thought. "Hijack" (y):xf.grin:

hahaha...I never claimed I didn't know something about the web. I'm normally pretty savvy about most web things. It's the tech side that I'm awful with. I've been chatting since 1998. Of course, that was in a Garden Chat on dial up so not much hijacking was going on. Things have sure chanced since then!

I maybe a blond and I may be old (that picture of me to the left is more 2005ish then 2019ish, but I do know quite a lot about the web (just not about the inner workings).

•••
Don't expect much luck from that. They have said they cannot find anything wrong with their system and have washed their hands of this transaction. Refusing to get involved and leaving the sale as valid. There isn't much goodwill with that. Except from @maxtra.

They've been very helpful today. Hopefully they can help me with the this bottleneck I've got going now. Dustie.com is now stuck in cyberspace. It's dark and scary in there and I know she wants to come home!

•••
It's ICANN who is trying to send an email
It is GoDaddy sending email, not ICANN.
Assuming that @maxtra used your account ID to start domainpush (he might also elect to use email instead), you should be able to see the penging incoming domain push inside your godaddy account, after you login. In domains --> pending account changes --> incoming account changes. Did you try to accept the domain from this section? If so, do you see the domain name in the list of your domains, marked at "pending verification" or anything similar?

•••
If you are unable to accept the transfer I can try pushing without having details changed and then you can change them once it is in your account

•••
Yes, it does say pending verification. However, after I accepted the transfer and clicked next it said that an email had been sent to the email on record with ICANN to verify the transfer. So it could sit there saying "Pending Verification" for eternity since no one is at [email protected] can verifiy the transfer.

OK...so if the email is coming from Godaddy then Joe should be able to help. He's aware of the problem.

Last edited:
•••
If you are unable to accept the transfer I can try pushing without having details changed and then you can change them once it is in your account
Maxtra, we might have to try that, but let's wait and see what Joe says. ;) You are a ROCK STAR still!

•••
Yes, also an option. Actually it is hard to assist remotely, GD system is far from intuitive.
Regular GoDaddy support (480-505-8877) should be able to better help @Dustie in this case. Actually they should be trained to assist with such tasks...

•••
Yes, also an option. Actually it is hard to assist remotely, GD system is far from intuitive.
Regular GoDaddy support (480-505-8877) should be able to better help @Dustie in this case. Actually they should be trained to assist with such tasks...

If Dustie doesn't mind wasting an hour or two on the phone to support :(

Last edited:
•••
So it could sit there saying "Pending Verification" for eternity since no one is at [email protected] can verifiy the transfer
If you are able to edit the DNS of dustie.com back to original values from current "undeveloped.com" ones, then you may try to do this. If it works - then the dustie.com email will be restored. And you can then try to request verification email again.

•••
•••
After this nightmare you should be transferring out anyway :)

•••
•••
If you are able to edit the DNS of dustie.com back to original values from current "undeveloped.com" ones, then you may try to do this. If it works - then the dustie.com email will be restored. And you can then try to request verification email again.

Wouldn't it be kinda hard to edit DNS of a domain I don't "own" in my account yet?

Just checked...under transfers-in it used to say "transaction if progress". Now it says "You have no pending transfers" though the name doesn't show up in my account yet. It might just take some time for it to show up?

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back