NameSilo

[RESOLVED] - Domain Name Stolen...A Horrible Story and a Warning...

Located in General Domain Discussion started by Dustie, Apr 17, 2019.

Replies:
Views:

1. stub

stub Top Member PRO VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

Shouldn't that be a Robert Rodriguez movies.

I feel after many twists and turns, the story is going to end well. Time for a bit of levity :)

The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  2. maxtra

maxtra Let's make a deal Gold Account VIP

:)

3. xynames

xynames XYNames.com PRO VIP

toni.com which granted is shorter, better, just sold at auction $42.5K

4. hookbox

hookbox Top Member VIP

You're comparing toni.com to dustie.com? No offense to Dustie but her domain isn't worth anywhere near that. Not even close.

5. xynames

This is what I wrote:
    if you can’t understand it I can write a Bob Hawkes length restatement.

6. tonyk2000

tonyk2000 Top Member VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

The payout speed you experienced is, indeed, excellent. A lot of sellers would be happy to be paid that fast. What likely happened is that GD is actually trying to improve payouts, and started with local U.S. payouts (ACH or similar) which are cheap and easy to process. Hope that non-U.S. based sellers will soon see the same payout speed... @Joe Styler is in the best position to explain why some domains/sales are paid after 1-2 weeks, and some - like dustie.com unfortunate sale - in 1-2 days. Thank you so much Dustie for posting sale-related emails, it explained a lot.
    And, congratulations on receiving your domain back! (well, almost... but it should happen and soon)

Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
  7. Dustie

Dustie Upgraded Member Blue Account ★★★★★★★★★★

Wish it were though.. I'd sell it and split the money with Maxtra and Mapledot and we'd all live happily ever after...

8. tonyk2000

By the way, I think that @maxtra should now explicitly ask GoDaddy (or Joe Styler directly) to either 1) reverse the purchase, or to 2) unlock the domain and provide sellers account number / email to proceed with manual domainpush from his end back to Dustie.
    And, formally speaking, Dustie should also confirm (to GoDaddy) her intention to receive the domain back - from exactly the same email she is using @ godaddy account. Because there is no way for GoDaddy to link any namepros members and their forum posts with real accounts in their system...

9. hookbox

hookbox Top Member VIP

I would love to see the lengthy version. 😃

10. Dustie

I've already provided Maxtra with my account info needed. I think it's just a matter of GD releasing the lock on it. Joe also has all my account info and he knows Maxtra's intention of giving it back and my intention of receiving it back. I'm confident that it should get done tomorrow (fingers crossed, anyway). ;)

11. tonyk2000

This is exactly what I was speaking about. How can @maxtra know that namepros member @Dustie is indeed the premium listing seller? No real doubts of course. But there is no _formal_ proof (who was the premium listing owner) in his domainbuy records. Which is why he should receive your account number from GoDaddy, should they elect to unlock the domain and allow him to do anything with it. Or, at least, before pushing the domain, he should explicitly confirm with GD (or directly with Joe Styler, should be faster and easier) that an account number he has indeed belongs to previous owner. It is just common sense + reasonable security.

Alternatively, if his request to reverse the sale is accepted - then there is no need for your account number to be disclosed at all, as GoDaddy will return the domain name to an account it originated from

12. xynames

The four letter domain is shorter. And better. It sold for $42,500. I already said all that.

What went without saying was:
    But both are first names. Both could be spelled in different ways including ending in an i or y.

What was already said or implied in the short version was:
    They are comparable in that the sale of one may be used as a comparable for the other keeping in mind what I said before, that one is shorter and better than the other.

i.e. Nothing you said contradicts what I said (I mean I already stated that the four letter is shorter, better) other than your claim that one has nothing to do with the other, no relevance at all, which is incorrect, I hope you’d agree. So...why argue? We’re almost saying the same thing.

13. Dustie

Maxtra, I think I see what tonyk2000 is saying here and it makes sense, right? Just confirm with Joe Styler that the info I gave you is indeed my GD account which shows me as the seller of dustie.com, which I have owned for the last 20 years.

I do have a question. If this transaction is reversed, would the whois record once again show that it's a 20 year old domain name?

14. tonyk2000

Yes, there should be no changes in domain registration date. You may also ask Joe Styler to add some "misc charge" into your godaddy shopping cart with $360 value. You will then proceed with this "purchase" and therefore return $$$ to GoDaddy...

15. Dustie

@Joe Styler

16. Zilla

Zilla Grabdot.com VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

btw, I like Bob style...:xf.grin:

ok, I notice u do provided one...thanks(y)

sorry, little out of topic, but given this case closed with happy ending, so, try to make some fun...someone dont like read long writting, but I do enjoy the reading, specially Bobs writing, well structued with clear fact and meaningful opinions...

17. Dustie

Wow... I've been reading back through this incredible thread. This post I didn't notice the first time though. While Maxtra's and MapleDot's generosity in helping me get my name back is going to be legendary among domainers, I have to also say a special thanks to wwwulff, who was willing to jump in and help to the tune 450.00 if I couldn't afford to pay back what I was paid originally. Fortunately I will be able to pay it, but that was a fine gesture to make wwwulff, Thank You.

18. Dustie

When people first started posting in this thread, I was amazed that they'd actually read my very long explanation of what happened to me. Turns out that was a WHOLE LOT of very smart and helpful people. So obviously there are many who don't mind reading long posts if they are something that interests them. I also like Bob's posts. ;)

19. karmaco

karmaco Top Member VIP

If @Joe Styler found no identifiable error why is the domain still locked according to @maxtra? I would have them unlock asap so everyone can move on from this.

20. tonyk2000

I'm under impression that it was the only thing "regular" GD support was able to do after @Dustie contacted them initially (just to learn that the domain was always listed for sale @ $450). Somebody has to unlock it...

21. Dustie

It didn't get locked by Tech support. They basically told me I was totally out of luck, that it had always been listed for 450 as long as it's been on Premium Domains, regardless of what I said.

I think it got locked after this thread started and so many were asking Joe Styler to get involved.

22. eurorealtor

eurorealtor okre.com VIP

This story is amazing example of the benefits to be part of NamePros.

23. Dustie

ABSOLUTELY RIGHT! And I just upgraded my account and will never stay away so long again!

24. carob

carob Top Member VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

Tipalti are a major payments processor who handle payments from Godaddy and Afternic to domain sellers. More info at https://tipalti.com/

25. carob

carob Top Member VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up – and it's free!
Topics / Tags: