NameSilo

[RESOLVED] - Domain Name Stolen...A Horrible Story and a Warning...

Located in General Domain Discussion started by Dustie, Apr 17, 2019.

Replies:
Views:

1. Dustie

Dustie Upgraded Member Blue Account ★★★★★★★★★★

You're slight impression is wrong. I am thrilled there's an investigation going on. As I posted yesterday, I've been in email touch with Joe Styler. He spent the better part of yesterday diligently looking in to this situation and is back at it today. I am more then satisfied with the seriousness that GD is taking this situation. BTW... I love horses too...used to own three of them back in my younger days...all rescues.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
    The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  2. domain hacks

domain hacks Established Member

I am sure GoDaddy listed your domain for $450 by mistake, and they will not addmit it. I bought a valuable domain the same way for $500, just posted a story here

3. dande

dande Premium Domain Names VIP

Yeah we love horses. The BIG badass horses

4. Dustie

It is very sad that people are scammed this way, from any country. But I am glad that, at least some of that money, is going to good use by providing jobs which provides some money for families in countries that are rife with poverty. Sometimes there is good that comes out of bad deeds. I can image those workers being told that they are like modern day Robin Hoods...robbing from the rich to give to the poor and spreading the wealth.

5. Dustie

Hi...so sorry to hear your story. I posted on your thread.

6. tonyk2000

tonyk2000 Top Member VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

As per my experience, the opposite should be the case. So far, adding a domain as premium listing always overwritted afternic listing details (either my own or incorrect outdated listing submitted by somebody else) both on gd search results page and auctions ("buy now" listings).
    But, if it was godaddy premium first and afternic listing later - who knows....
    @Dustie you might want to check this:

https://www.namepros.com/threads/resolved-domainer-loses-26k-on-a-stolen-domain.1068888/

Somewhat similar story. It is 51 pages long thread... But has a lot of useful info inside. About best practices to secure and/or sell valuable domains in particular.

7. Dustie

dustie.com was/is registered with GoDaddy. No, I didnt know there was such a thing as a login lockdown plugin so I didn't have it. I know the whois registar had my my information as owner, so probably my email. I only have one password for GD and one for my email at GD. I have now put a 2 step authorization on my GD account so hopefully something like this can't happen again without my knowledge.

As far as I know I was never on Afternic, never even heard of Fast Transfer nor did I approve it. I sold a domain name in Febuary and it took 6 days for it to all complete and for me to get paid. This took under a half hour for it to complete/transfer and 1.5 days to get paid.

And Joe Styler is engaged...we've been in email touch. He's been trying to find the root cause for all this since early yesterday.

8. Dustie

I did not add dustie.com or any of my listings to Afternic. All my domains for sale have always been in the GD Premium program. Never were they in Afternic unless GD software put them there after I listed them as premium domains on GD.

Thanks for the link tonyK.. I'll definitely read it later when I get some time later. 50 pages...wow..that must be some kind of record!

9. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes formerly MetBob NameTalent VIP

This is an important point @BrandCougar makes. I had not realized that and may be relevant. Does anyone know if it was on Afternic? I know @Dustie did not put it on Afternic but did a third party manage to do so somehow?

PS I note that today it is listed for sale on Sedo for $12,000. Should not that listing be down? I see the Undeveloped one is now down.

10. tonyk2000

11. tonyk2000

I think I found what happened here. @Dustie : actually it is likely that GoDaddy did not pay you in 1.5 days... Domain was sold earlier, maybe 1-2 weeks before the payment was issued.

GoDaddy has a bug. When they send an email "You've been paid.", it contains the following text
    inside:

We're sending your payment for the following Premium Listing(s), which sold on <date here>:

This date is always incorrect, it is email date -1 day.

Example of my sales emails. First one - domain sold, second one - payment note. One and the same domain... Date mismatch is clear.

=== (quotes begin)

Subject: Your Premium Listing Just Sold
    Date: Sat, 06 Apr 2019 07:02:41 -0700

Your premium listing just sold!

A special message from GoDaddy ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌
    ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌
    Congratulations! Your Premium Listings domain has sold!

Date Sold: April 06, 2019

Subject: You've been paid.
    Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2019 02:02:28 -0700

You've been paid.

Payment is on the way.

24/7 Support: +1 (480) 505-8855

You've been paid.

We're sending your payment for the following Premium Listing(s), which sold on April 17, 2019:

=== (quote end)

12. Donmarick

Donmarick Established Member

Nice story and i'm impressed about other forum members behaviour.

13. offthehandle

offthehandle . Gold Account VIP

I recall this starting 30 years ago the famous Nigerian Letter Scam, receiving hundreds of hand typed letters at our business. Postmarked for Nigeria with Nigerian stamps. Even today, It still exists and morphed off into email. Here the FBI calls it out by its name.

https://www.fbi.gov/scams-and-safety/common-fraud-schemes/nigerian-letter-or-419-fraud

Here is CNBC with an article even today years later about it. It must be working to dumb people.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/04/18/nigerian-prince-scams-still-rake-in-over-700000-dollars-a-year.html

I have had hackers attempt many times in my numerous sites from all over Europe, Turkish hackers ruined one site eventually or were spoofing their Countries IP address. I blocked all Russia and Ukraine IP’s and lately Ireland, Germany and France most recently the most frequent IP rule violator IP addresses logged. Daily Inundated with spoofed US number voip phone calls that origin all around the world calling, blocking them all.

Nothing by mentioning any country whose reputation and a few bad actors causing harm is racist. Its simply historical fact.

14. offthehandle

offthehandle . Gold Account VIP

Unbelievable starement. You condone Providing jobs in poor countries by stealing? I see, so being Robin Hood and stealing from others is ok by you. Oh, But wait, not by stealing your domain? Lmao. I am outta here.

15. alcy

alcy Top Member VIP

i think gd goes fast with prem sales payouts.. it was 6 days max before I think.. now with their brand new payout system for all listing typs.. maybe prem sale payouts were cut down to even less time? @Joe Styler

either way I'd be very suprised if it takes like 2 weeks to payout for prem listing.

@Dustie do you have the conclusion of this investigation as to what happened to price?

16. tonyk2000

I have both afternic sales and prem. listing sales, but could not yet determine an exact timeframe. Usually I see anything between 1 and 2 weeks (international wire transfer in my case). Sometimes the payouts are combined, sometimes are not (once I've had 2 wires credited on the same day). In one case they completely forgot to pay for 1 domain, and I had to send a followup email. No major issues in any case... As for dustie.com sale, reported 1.5 days payout looks strange anyway. As @Joe Styler explained in another thread, GD pays their "payout company" first and then this company pays the seller. 1.5 days after the domain transfer? (And also GD had to receive payout from their CC processor). Who knows, maybe with paypal or local ACH it is possible, but unlikely.

17. Dustie

TonyK2000... I received the emails that are copied and pasted below... It was Date Sold: April 8th / Date Transferred April 8 / Date Paid: April 10th. The times on the emails indicate that payment came just a little over a day and a half from the first email telling me my domain had been sold on April 8th. So you're saying that the name sold a week before it's saying that it did?

I've a couple of questions upon re reading these emails. Can anyone tell me why the 1st email says Sold April 8th and the Last Email says it sold on April 9th. And what to they mean in the last email that it was sold by Method TILPATI?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Congratulations
    ! Your premium listing just sold!

Dear Dustie Meads,

Congratulations

! Your Premium Listings domain has sold!

Domain: DUSTIE.COM
    Date Sold: April 08, 2019

Listing Price: $450.00

For current commission rates, please click here.

For more information on viewing your Premium Listings, click here.

Sincerely,
    GoDaddy

P.S. Did you know we offer a number of payment options for your Premium Listings? Click here for more information.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

GoDaddy <[email protected]>
    Mon 4/8/2019 9:41 PM
    24/7 Support: +1 (480) 505-8877

Dustie Meads — Customer Number: ************

Your domain transfer is complete.

Dustie, we were able to successfully transfer dustie.com. You'll receive your payment shortly.

In the meantime, you can call us at +1 (480) 505-8877 or email us at [email protected] if you have any questions.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GoDaddy <[email protected]>
    Wed 4/10/2019 4:01 AM
    24/7 Support: +1 (480) 505-8855

Dustie Meads — Customer Number:************

You've been paid

Congratulations! We wanted to let you know you've been paid for the following domain(s) sold at auction on April 09, 2019:

dustie.com Sold at*: $360.00; Method: TIPALTI

Enjoy the proceeds. We look forward to seeing more of your domains at auction soon.

If you have any questions, contact Customer Support:

Online Support

Email: [email protected]

24/7 Support by Phone: +1 (480) 505-8855
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks!

18. Keith

Keith Top Member VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

Any update? This shouldn’t take days to resolve.

19. Dustie

Keith...perfect timing. I just read Joe Styler's email that came in at 2:13 today. First of all, I so appreciate all that GD did over the last day to try to get to the bottom of this issue. Bottom line is they didn't find anything on their side. Therefore, I have to conclude that there's a chance that I made a mistake somehow which caused the price on dustie.com to go from 20,000.00 to 450.00, though I still find that so hard to believe. But I also trust Joe, and the team he had working with him, and do believe they did what they could. This is actually a good thing. It would have been awful had they found something that would put all our domains at risk. I really just don't know what to think.

I do know that I'm very grateful that GD is willing to work with seeing to it that the buyer (not sure if they are referring to Maxtra or Maplebug) will be reimbursed for the full purchase price from them if they are willing to return the domain to me. Both Maxtra and Maplebug will be forever be in my debt for they are my nights in shining armor!!!

This whole thing has been an eye opener and a roller coaster of emotions for me. I am certainly grateful to EVERYONE involved here, and will forever love NamePros!

In a Nutshell, Joe Wrote:

Dustie,

I looked into it over the past 24 hours and involved a couple Vice Presidents who run the error handling at our company and Aftermarket. At this point we cannot find any evidence of a security breach, or technical issue on our side which would have caused this. As such we are unable to take the domain from the buyer. Doing so would be against our terms of service and normal policies. It seems that the buyer is willing to give the domain name back to you no questions asked from what he is stating on Namepros. I would pursue that route with him and get the domain name back. I will keep an eye on this situation and make sure that he is reimbursed in full for his purchase from us if he indeed returns the domain to you. I hope that this will work things out and provide everyone with a happy resolution.

Thank you

Joe Styler

GoDaddy |

Aftermarket Product Manager

Scottsdale, AZ.

upload_2019-4-18_17-0-57.png

20. Keith

Keith Top Member VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

Now it’s on @maxtra to push it back to you. Pay the $450 back to him and call it a day!

21. JayT

JayT LIFESAVINGS.ONLINE VIP

Hope you get your favorite domain back. It's scary when the people holding them decide to delete them rather than give.

22. Dustie

Sounds so good to me! Unbelievable!

23. Dustie

JayT, you are right. I'd never thought of doing that with the domains I let expire if I don't want them anymore. Good Idea.

24. maxtra

maxtra Let's make a deal Gold Account VIP

It is still locked or I would have transferred it to you by now

25. Dustie

MAXTRA...YOU ARE A ROCK STAR! I have some skill in Photoshop and Graphics Art. If you ever need anything...like cool domain name graphic or anything, just shoot me off your thoughts and I'll try to make it for you. You have an amateur graphic artist on your side for life (or as long as I am able to type and use a Wacom Art Tablet).

Same goes for MapleDots, who is also a ROCK STAR!

You have me crying over here!

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up – and it's free!
Topics / Tags: