Dynadot

security Regystro.net, who are these clowns?

NameSilo
Watch

branding

Private InvestorTop Member
Impact
So, I've got a bot running monitoring my spam box for front runners on domain auctions and I was alerted on an influx of spam email from a certain gmail account.

Although they don't seem to be frontrunning domains involved in auctions (as far as I have been able to verify) they are pulling a nice outbound scam.

When I noticed a domain in the report for one I saw on the droplist I decided to engage and see what's up.

Basically they will spam you from a Gmail account offering a domain for sale. That domain is either pending delete or has already dropped.

When you show interest they will tell you it is owned by a client and needs to be moved to their account. They will put up a page where you can buy it right away as soon as the domain has been transferred to them.

Obviously at this time the domain has dropped and is free for registration.

At this point they will start mailing you from their @regystro.net email address so their domain isn't very likely to get flagged by SB.

When asking more questions, showing more interest and asking about payment options and security they will go ahead and send you an offer agreement, register the domain and put up a buy it now page, all for the grand total of $97 a name.

I have tried in on 3 domains (I've got some honeypots running to catch these scammers) and on each instance they went ahead, regged the name and sent me an email as if I actually made them an offer, which I obviously didn't. I made sure I've never actually agreed upon anything.

Anyone else ever encountered this regystro.net scam? These clown(s) have been at it for some years judging by their domain name age so it must be paying off.

I've seen some mention of them on Reddit, nothing about them here.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Indeed its a old scam. What domainer should do is to trick them: 1st, show them you are really interested in that domain, so they quick register it for reg fee at $9 or $10. Then they'll keep emailing you with agreement and payment option. Now show interest in another domain, and they'll jump and reg it for you. At last, do not buy any domain from them. Let their $$$ be wasted :)

•••
Indeed its a old scam. What domainer should do is to trick them: 1st, show them you are really interested in that domain, so they quick register it for reg fee at $9 or $10. Then they'll keep emailing you with agreement and payment option. Now show interest in another domain, and they'll jump and reg it for you. At last, do not buy any domain from them. Let their $$$ be wasted :)

This is evil , but I like it. :xf.grin::xf.grin::xf.grin:

•••
Must be also one of the reasons why we see too many ownership conflicts trying to add our daily routine acquisitions to Afternic or Dan: folks are listing redemption / pendingdelete / pre-release domains on these platforms, where litte or no ownership control exists, trying to make their solicitations (make us an offer!) looking more legitimate. I have seen the following many times - domain dropped and acquired by myself, as per its history, it had a live enduser powered website (10 years, 20 years) - so the previous owner obviously was not a domainer - but the domain is already on Dan or Afternic.

•••

Lol, from what I've seen so far the names are just ok, but definitely not worth more than reg fee.

I have another 61 mails from these same guys that I haven't responded to yet. As soon as I'm not busy and feel like having some fun I'll play ball :)

I've engaged with spammers before but usually I don't hear from them again. I don't really mind domain spam but since these guys are outright lying trying to sell you stuff they deserve some punishment.

•••
Reminds me of a funny video about replying to spammers.

It's a good laugh.

•••
I have another 61 mails from these same guys that I haven't responded to yet. As soon as I'm not busy and feel like having some fun I'll play ball :)

Don't !!!
(a bunch of scammers with superpowers, similar to the Umbrella Academy family members :)

Example: WIPO (Regystro & Chapnames / Chapdomains & Co)

Regards

Last edited:
•••
Don't !!!
(a bunch of scammers with superpowers, similar to the Umbrella Academy family members :)

Example: WIPO (Regystro & Chapnames / Chapdomains & Co)

Regards

lol, thanks. sounds like a charming bunch. Just finished the lastest season of the series actually :)

•••
... sounds like a charming bunch.

Also, operating in NL with a bit of twist ... example: reg. EMZ in Utrecht KvK for 6-12 months, shutting down and reopening (under dif. name) in Groningen or Amsterdam or Rotterdam etc. Sky is limit!

SIDN warning

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back