Dynadot

Registrar messing around?-happy ending-I found my backup codes

NameSilo
Watch

Mohini Hersom

Established Member
Impact
I'm a newbie here with no intention of annoying anyone. I will log in daily and if this post belongs on a different forum of this website or on another website, kindly inform so I can delete my posting. I am a sort of sailor in an isolated cabin, so if any rules/conventions violated please educate me and I will learn and change immediately.
?/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////I googled what to do and came across ICANN. They seem to have only phone contacts and not email. I am posting here for feedback//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Complaint/concern about Registrar Namecheap,
Problem Account access, domains are expiring and need to be paid in October 2021

Failure to identify myself after google authenticator lost prior to disabling, needing to show details of ONE historic transaction. I passed the other identification tests.

Alternate method of verification of identity /ownership was sent to me by Risk Management of Namecheap. A photo of self and passport was to be taken via webcam, and transmitted via their hyperlink. This link does not appear to work on my laptop which has an otherwise normal webcam. Images are too blurred to recognize. I now have the opportunity to test this link at a public terminal. If it does not also work at a public terminal, I will suspect that this link is not a good one, despite namecheap Risk management insisting it is reliable. I may need help regarding this link, if it fails (later this morning when businesses open) to work correctly at a public terminal as well.

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
As a namecheap customer since several years most of my historic payments were done via paypal, while my debit cards used to pay a few times were cancelled frequently. I should have written down the expiry dates, which is where I failed to identify myself.

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

My paypal complaints have now made progress, and I now have unearthed two historic transactions done via paypal to namecheap in 2020. These are under namecheap rules sufficient to unlock my account. I have full paypal transaction number and namecheap transaction number of these

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

More details re difficulties below

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

I have multiple domains with registrar namecheap. Its been over a month of trying to get back into my account of namecheap. I had enabled two-step authentication using google authenticator on my Huawei PSmart 2019. Forgetfully I carried out a destructive system restore back to factory settings.

Having no google authenticator, I need the help of namecheap to get back in.

Some of my domains renew in October each year. It was an investment, which may or may not be smart. According to namecheap, and godaddy appraisal tools this account is certain worth more than 1000 pounds.

Namecheap went through the verification process and I had to correctly describe one historic transaction. Most had been done with paypal but I found a recent one of June 2021 done with my debit card. This debit had been cancelled in July 2021 after a fraud case with Caxtonfx which is at present (today's date is 8 Oct 2021) pending for final response before it goes to the UK financial Ombudsman. Caxton owe me 200-300 pounds

Unfortunately I threw away my expired Caxton card, and failed to recall the expiry date correctly

Having not been able to provide this detail, Namecheap transferred me to their higher department called Risk Management. The latter take about one week to reply. Namecheap has no phone or address but they offer 24X7 chatbox.

Most of my historic payments to namecheap were through Paypal. My paypal account, which is registered to Great Britain, was frozen by Paypal in January 2011 under allegation they had to freeze it because I moved to another country (Ireland). They then said they needed my nationality and passport and when offered they refused it saying this account needs to be closed without providing reasons and also have deleted my historic transactions before 2020 and wont let me withdraw the balance.. Mostly staff appear to be Filipino girls with poor command of English. A formal complaint to the Ombudsman may be in order as they wont provide a complaints procedure.I once tried their link inside for complaints and feedback but their English does not make much sense.

All these details to explain why I am having difficulties

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I experienced that several years ago. You need to answer a lot of questions, and some answers are found in emails you get from namecheap. It's too much hussle just to take 2FA off.
Username and strong password is enough protection, just don't tell anyone your username or email.
If you still can't get into your account, I would ask them to send some kind of verification code to your physical address. That is, if your current address matches the address in your namecheap account.

Edit:
Also, you need to check this:
https://www.namepros.com/threads/namecheap-changed-ownership-on-36th-day-of-expiry.1253957/

Last edited:
•••
If you're happy to do a webcam selfie the easiest/quickest solution is probably to buy a ~$20 HD webcam. Worth it if your names are valuable (though practically every name is worth $1000+ according to Godaddy appraisal).

I'm curious what the link is they gave you though (don't post it), and whether they verify IDs securely and safely though a (preferably EU-based) third party like IDnow.

Someone else will know who the Namecheap rep/s are on this forum, if any, who might be able to help.

•••
I experienced that several years ago. You need to answer a lot of questions, and some answers are found in emails you get from namecheap. It's too much hussle just to take 2FA off.
Username and strong password is enough protection, just don't tell anyone your username or email.
If you still can't get into your account, I would ask them to send some kind of verification code to your physical address. That is, if your current address matches the address in your namecheap account.

Thanks a ton, I will try

•••
If you're happy to do a webcam selfie the easiest/quickest solution is probably to buy a ~$20 HD webcam. Worth it if your names are valuable (though practically every name is worth $1000+ according to Godaddy appraisal).

I'm curious what the link is they gave you though (don't post it), and whether they verify IDs securely and safely though a (preferably EU-based) third party like IDnow.

Someone else will know who the Namecheap rep/s are on this forum, if any, who might be able to help.
Thanks a ton, I will try this out ASAP

•••
I'm glad some guys had some input to offer on this ...I lost interest in reading about a quarter of the way through

Jokes aside, hope you sort it out. Warm welcome to NamePros @Mohini Hersom

Last edited:
•••
Dear Xiberia the link that was a problem was
submit.validation.com/D3887CD8FD1D86347C0BAAD53A660CA3
I realised I would need to upgrade to post a link. I was able to solve the problem on my smartphone -the new images were discernable, and I hope Namecheap accepts them. I am not a modern person and new to webcams and have never given thought to their quality. It just occurred to me to try my smartphone after you suggested a hi defn cam, but as appreciation for all the helpful suggestions Ive got at the start decided to upgrade to blue,

•••
Oh man, you didn't have to spend money just to post link. You just remove "https://" part: submit.validation.com
People can then do copy-paste.

Lets us know if you solved your problem.

•••
Oh I suppose am not thinking much these days with too much. I tried removing ://. Well my smartphone produced better images so I am hope Namecheap responds favorably

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back