IT.COM

Registering protective domains

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

cooljub

Top Member
Impact
I registered the .com and .org of a name I envisage perhaps as an activist (or maybe political) site. It's long and brandable - some would probably say worthless :xf.smile:

Should I register any other extensions to protect it in case it's valuable?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
You only need the .com.
Thanks. I thought of .org first due to the kind of site the name might suit, and registered the .com because, as you say, it's the extension.

•••
Yes having the .com is the best brand protection.

•••
I registered the .com and .org of a name I envisage perhaps as an activist (or maybe political) site. It's long and brandable - some would probably say worthless :xf.smile:

Should I register any other extensions to protect it in case it's valuable?

if you have the .com you do not need to register other extensions.

•••
Maybe not other extensions, but I would register/acquire variations of the name.

For example, if you have "VoteforPeace.com", you should get "Vote4Peace.com", "VotingforPeace.com", "PeaceVote.com", etc.

•••
On a couple of my business websites I went ahead and registered the dot net and dot org. This was on businesses started in 2010, and I registered the two extra suffixes because at that time I had competitors who might’ve stepped in to registered the suffixes if I had not, and might’ve stuck redirects to their competing websites next door to me. Today I would probably not register besides the dot com on these two, as I’ve emerged victorious in those two fields and almost all my competitors folded.

Back then, for those two businesses, I registered variants of my competitors’ websites to redirect to my website.

I have many other online businesses, some dating back up to twenty years. Dot com only for their websites, but also for these as competitors have folded I’ve acquired their websites and redirected them to mine.

In earlier days of internet it was more likely that someone would mistype the suffix or think it was net when it was com but nowadays com is so ingrained in peoples’ minds that at least in the US they assume that everything is dot com.

Last edited:
•••
I would register/acquire variations of the name
I can't think of any variations off the top of my head.. I'll have to think about it. But point taken, thanks

•••
I would throw in the .net too.

•••
•••
We have been website active and domain name active since '97, and more heavily so
( in our micro - niches) since '98.

When we have a successful domain name / website combo I would always reg the domain name in
net and the org and if appropriate the plural versions. And more recently a select new extensions.

IMO - it is better to have a measly 100 or so dollars invested as domain name / website protection from imitators of our sites than be concerned with a few domain name dollars.

Roughly 1 customer or sale " not lost " to an imitator more than pays for the extra regs.

Registering " protective " domains has worked for my interests and consider those fees as fees well spendt.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back