Dynadot

Registered .CO Domains Modified to Premium Domains?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

DomainBoxio

domainbox.ioTop Member
Impact
Hey NP,

We are noticing an unusual/unexplained issue with .CO domain names. Many domains registered (as standard/common domains at regular pricing) have suddenly switched to Premium pricing.

This is frustrating, obviously, and had the domains been premium (even with huge first year discounting), they likely would not have been registered-at least not by me!

I completely understand the registry's ability and right to modify their costs. Having said that, it seems borderline-unethical to re-shuffle premium domain status to existing domains-sold under the pretense of a non-premium pricing tier.

Here's a small sample of the names which have switched overnight. Nothing particularly mind-blowing about these names.

caddo.co
coinhelp.co
socializer.co
truckdriver.co

Is this common practice from registries? I am interested to hear from the community, as I've never heard of this before.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
This is crazy. I can't believe it's happening.
I invested in domain back in 2006 and I can tell you it never a common practice in the past.
But you know registries getting greedy, greedy and greedy !!!!

We should stop this from happening by boycott them or otherwise other registries will follow them and it will finally become a common practice.

•••
Huge thread going on about that already. Don't have the link at the moment.

•••
•••
•••
What's .CO registry doing now is try to milk the profit in short term, I suspected they're going to sell their .CO business to 3rd party. They can easily manipulate the profit figure in this way.:xf.laugh:It's a strategic approach to sell a business for higher price:xf.cool:

Advise to all domain investor. It's very important to stick with registries that have good reputation only.

•••
Does this mean that you renewal fees have gone up as a result, if so how much? I thought that it was just when they dropped that they became premium. Obviously that's not the case, but I'm just wondering how you noticed that they had switched to premium.

Last edited:
•••
it happened to me too at Namecheap.

•••
So that's more reason for .co website owners to make the switch to the king. They'd pay premium for acquisition but at least they will have standard renewal price.

Now how can we find the list of affected names? :sneaky:

•••
Did this change or does the .CO registry still switches non premium domains to premium at renewal time?

•••
only occurs in domains that are released back to the public

they are really greedy, maybe your garbage domain will later become a premium domain if the registry wants it

Last edited:
•••
Back