IT.COM

Reg'd ismailax.com - VA Tech related

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I was watching tv this morning about the Virgina Tech massacre.
They mentioned a ranting note left by the killer that was signed ismailax.
Also the word ismailax was supposedly tattoed or inscribed in red on the killers arm.
Rightly or wrongly, I registered the name ismailax.com . Don't ask me why. I just instinctively regd it.
Within hours I started receiving phone calls from reporters asking me why I registered the name and if I know what it means. I even got a call from as far away as England (and I am in Texas).
I told them I have no clue what the name means - and that I own hundreds of domain names. One of the reporters even told me that the name had something to do with the Muslim faith. Supposedly Ibrahim, after recieving the truth from Allah, entered a temple in Babylon with an ax and destroyed the stone and wooden idols worshipped by people or something to that effect.
I had no clue when I registered this name that it would cause so much attention.....

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Sedo stats just show about 2000 visits. Are you sure you telling us everything truthfully?

It's a nice reg btw.

•••
Excuse me labrocca? You don't know me sir and I don't take to kindly being called untruthful. You are barking up a wrong tree. I have been trying different nameservers all afternoon and nite. At one point SINCE MY LAST POST sedo parking did seem to work for a short time.
But now its back to "This domain has been blocked"
I have called my son in San Antonio and he gets the same thing when trying to access the site. My work computer is on another ISP and the same thing. My girlfriends computer the same thing....
Can someone do me a favor that lives any place other then Texas tell me if they can reach the site?
thanks
Ray

•••
"This domain has been blocked" is the message I get as well, from Bloomington, IL.

•••
•••
"Cho Seung-Hui had the name 'ismail ax' written on his arm and even signed his suicide note with the same name. Patterson says he registered "ismailax.com" after hearing it on the news and thought it was unique but now he is getting threatening messages. "I've been getting calls from all over the world, e-mails, hate e-mails, some of them kind of threatening," said Patterson."
:td: :td:

Anyways, why not make it into a charity site ;)

•••
My plans are to build a memorial website or something of that nature. Until then the name was going to stay parked, to help pay for hosting and building the website. But as of now I can not do anything with the name because the domain is blocked for some reason.

•••
It said "This domain has been blocked" yesterday, but i'm seeing a parked page now.

I live in California.

•••
Sedo parking page here in Canada :)

•••
Still says blocked for me. But if your getting the site to show then it has to be something with the DNS servers. Earlier I was thinking conspiracy theories lol. I am not sure of the mechanics of it all, but guessing that in some areas the dns has not updated yet. I have never had a .com name take this long to resolve. Maybe it has to do with all the traffic jamming the server.

•••
it shows sedo parking page here in istanbul

•••
Sedo parking page for me too. Maybe it's your ISP that is blocking the domain.

•••
Whats next?
I mean, when does you/someone pass the line?

Why don’t you register all of the victims name? I mean 33 .com with the victim names in them. Then you approach their parents and ask if they want to buy they their dead children’s domain names for a small transaction fee of $10,000? Imagine how much money you can make (and of course have it parked in mean while)

Wish you the best with your/someones upcoming empire!

•••
quite a lot of press raymond... big tings, big tings!!

Chicago Tribute said:
through GoDaddy.com, a registrar of Web page names.
lol, a registrar of web page names... you mean like, domain names? next time the chicago tribute calls, give them a little lesson ;)

•••
Ferman said:
that is the question.
solution is simple. redirection does not eat that much bandwith
Redirect the domain to http://www.vt.edu/tragedy/memorial_fund.php.

THAT is the one and only official memorial site and fund.

The cost of building and hosting a website is how much? On a parked page registered with GoDaddy I believe it is free.

•••
circa1850 said:
Redirect the domain to http://www.vt.edu/tragedy/memorial_fund.php.

THAT is the one and only official memorial site and fund.

The cost of building and hosting a website is how much? On a parked page registered with GoDaddy I believe it is free.

he will do it AFTER all these things ended and no traffic coming. after making money over vt massacre

•••
The DNS has resolved.

Also, for people that don't seem to get it. This website is parked right now. It is making money. I am glad it is making money. The money will be used to pay for future server hosting and also to pay for someone to professionally design a nice website about this tradegy and the victims.
I have been consistent on this all along on this. I am sorry if any of my actions are offending anyone. I can not please everyones wishes. I am going to do what I feel is best.
Regards,
Ray

•••
texasgamer said:
The DNS has resolved.

Also, for people that don't seem to get it. This website is parked right now. It is making money. I am glad it is making money. The money will be used to pay for future server hosting and also to pay for someone to professionally design a nice website about this tradegy and the victims.
I have been consistent on this all along on this. I am sorry if any of my actions are offending anyone. I can not please everyones wishes. I am going to do what I feel is best.
Regards,
Ray

Unless you get your site up quickly and use the traffic / revenue for good works, you will be painted as the biggest loser on the planet regardless of your intentions or timeline. Time is critical as that traffic will die off shortly. Redirect it immediately and save face. Do what's right.

Last edited:
•••
texasgamer said:
The DNS has resolved.

Regards,
Ray

since it is your domain sure you choose what to do with it
and sure we write what we think about making money over a tragedy

think what your reputation will be here

"The money will be used to pay for future server hosting and also to pay for someone to professionally design a nice website about this tradegy and the victims"

dont make me laugh. if your child has been killed in vt massacre, will you do what you do know ?

•••
Ferman, texasgamer registered the domain on impulse. if you see something like that regardless of what it's associated if you're what i would call a "professional" domain buyer then i can see how it would come into your head, i know it would have mine and i don't even buy/sell domains anymore except for development.

What i don't like reading is people like you and "webmasterinfo" attacking Ray for buying the domain. It's who we are as humans and a giant sign of today's society that people will try to make money out of anything, and you know what, to an extent that is not wrong. VT was a tragedy, and no one is denying that, but life goes on.

Ray has said, and,and i trust him enough to believe it, that he will forward all money generated onto setting up a memorial site. Due to your lack of grammar in your previous post i do not understand what you are trying to say about that idea but personally i think it's great. There is the official one yes, but people set up tribute sites for all disasters like this and many fail because they are unable to keep up.

If "ismailax" does turn out to mean something, do you not think it would be fantastic to have it up as a memorial site?

You guys are unbelievable really, give the guy some slack.

Also Ray, as for the paps who seem to be hounding you recently. You have explained yourself more than once now so if you want them to leave you alone you would be doing nothing wrong to tell them to piss off.

Matt

•••
Thank you Matt, I could not have said it better myself...

•••
Redirecting the domain to existing official memorial site is the best solution imho. I'm totally agree with Circa.

"The money will be used to pay for future server hosting and also to pay for someone to professionally design a nice website about this tradegy and the victims"

Weak argument from your part imho...better find another ones to convince people :).

•••
Look. 90% of the traffic is going to die down in a few days. You don't need a better server to build a site, the name is not built for a site. If you're truly serious about helping the victims and raising money -- forward the name. It's the easiest possible solution.

Proportionally, almost all of the traffic you are experiencing is going to leave. Sure, you'll still be getting a few hundred or thousand hits a day, but is building a site for that site really worth it? No... Forward the traffic. I love that you're going to give VT the money, but it seems like you could do so much more for them with a fraction of the resources.

2c

•••
Hokie Spirit Memorial Fund

Hi,

Heres an idea...do the right thing and just "re-direct" the domain to here:

April 16, 2007, will be remembered as one of the darkest days in the history of the Virginia Tech community and the world beyond.

To remember and honor the victims of those tragic events, the university has established the Hokie Spirit Memorial Fund to aid in the healing process.

The fund will be used to cover expenses including but not limited to:

* Assistance to victims and their families
* Grief counseling
* Memorials
* Communication expenses
* Comfort expenses

http://www.vt.edu/tragedy/memorial_fund.php

In the wake of this tragedy, we are confident that Hokie Spirit will only grow stronger and more resilient. We thank you for your continued support.

If you plan to give, please click the "Give Now" button below, and when filling out the "Gift Information" section, please choose "Hokie Spirit Memorial Fund" from the drop-down menu. Due to the unusually large volume of traffic to our website, you may experience delays or other difficulties. We apologize, and encourage you to keep trying.

If you would like to mail a check, make it out to "Virginia Tech Foundation Inc.," designate your gift for the "Hokie Spirit Memorial Fund" on the memo line, and send it to:

University Development (0336)
Virginia Tech
Blacksburg, VA 24061

http://www.vt.edu/tragedy/memorial_fund.php

BTW: If you find yourself unable to do the simple...right thing...you need to do some serious "soul searching"

Hi,

You do not want to be in the "majority" of this group do you?

News Blog

April 20, 2007 8:04 AM PDT

VA Tech-related domain names blow in

Posted by Dawn Kawamoto
In the past five days, hundreds of Virginia Tech-related domain names have been registered that appear to be suspect, security experts warn.

And they further note that these potentially malicious sites have been registered at a quicker clip than those for Hurricane Katrina.

In sizing up the Virginia Tech domain names, which deal with the shooting massacre at the sprawling campus, security researcher SANS Institute noted: "Some of them are used for benevolent purposes. However, a good share of them are parked for auction and even used for fraudulent donations."

SANS, with the aid of outside security researchers, culled through approximately 551 Virginia Tech-related domain names and found only two belonging to a charity and 57 deemed as "innocent" sites. The majority of the VA Tech-related sites, 381, were found to be "parked," with another 42 sites up for sale and 35 as having "questionable" status. Six of the sites were characterized as "fraud."

A dark day for the nation is posed to become darker yet for some.
http://news.com.com/8301-10784_3-9710857-7.html

Peace,
Dan

Last edited:
•••
Okay, I'm not against you buying the domain or anything, as it clearly was a great grab, but you guys need to think. People like this killer do these things for a reason. The reason is they want attention, so they do things like this. how many of you know the names of the 33 victims?I'm guessing almost no one knows, but how many of you know the name of the killer?I'm guessing quite a bit of you dop, so, in the end, he has succeeded in what he was trying to do. Everyone now knows who he is, and he got the attention that he wanted. When people do things like this, we should not address them with their proper name, but with something such as "the killr" or "the gunman" but don't say his name, as in the end, he is getting what he was trying to get, and that is attention, he succeeded in what he wanted to get.

•••
being a professional domainer and being a human
sometimes in your life schedule you have to choose one of them
and that choice shows who really you are
you can say hurricane is hurricane and nothing to do against it. if you believe in god or something else which you call it in other words, you can say life goes goes on...

but if a man caused some people's death you can not easily accept another man making money over it. what will you with that money ? pay hosting fees ? hah. you do not need that, simply redirect it to the official site. and do not tell us days after this tragedy happened, and no huge traffic coming anymore, "look i developed a site". do not tell us stories

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back