IT.COM

question Redirect alternate extensions to the .com, or park them?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

dgmweb

Established Member
Impact
I'm curious how others are handling this. I have a name in .com, and I also own the name in many of the other extensions. I currently have the .net and .org redirecting to the .com, and am considering whether to redirect the rest of the alternate extensions to the .com, or park them.

What are your thoughts on each approach? Benefits/disadvantages?

On the flip side, I have another site that uses a .games for the website, and I redirect the .com to that. Considering reverse that configuration.

Thanks for reading,
-dgm

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I'm curious how others are handling this. I have a name in .com, and I also own the name in many of the other extensions. I currently have the .net and .org redirecting to the .com, and am considering whether to redirect the rest of the alternate extensions to the .com, or park them.

What are your thoughts on each approach? Benefits/disadvantages?

On the flip side, I have another site that uses a .games for the website, and I redirect the .com to that. Considering reverse that configuration.

Thanks for reading,
-dgm

My thought is why do you want so many extensions of the same domain? If you are not selling them. I do have some multiple extensions. But my current thinking is if I have developed (or plan to develop) the .com, I don't need any other extensions. Which anyhow are worth hardly any money, compared to the .com. I would redirect everything to the .com. You won't earn regfee for most NGTLDs.

•••
Thanks Name Trader. I have the others since I own the registered trademark on the name (it's a film/game/comic franchise). So really it's just to (somewhat) prevent copycats/squatters if the project takes off.

•••
OK. That makes sense. Redirect to the .com

•••
If you were selling the extensions I would be inclined to put a for sale landing page on each.

Since you are the primary user and intend to keep them, you can put pillar content on each one, link them to each other, and reap some SEO benefits.

For example:
  • COM: big button and landing page that goes to games, then other pages that talk about your business, staff, fundraising rounds, etc.
  • NET: talks about the platforms your games run on or networking events like a conference or hackathon
  • ORG: talk about your carbon-neutral servers, recycling program, your non-profit that provides coding classes for the underprivileged, etc.
  • GAMES: playground
  • Consider picking up .APP and direct to your apple/android stores

•••
If you were selling the extensions I would be inclined to put a for sale landing page on each.

Since you are the primary user and intend to keep them, you can put pillar content on each one, link them to each other, and reap some SEO benefits.

For example:
  • COM: big button and landing page that goes to games, then other pages that talk about your business, staff, fundraising rounds, etc.
  • NET: talks about the platforms your games run on or networking events like a conference or hackathon
  • ORG: talk about your carbon-neutral servers, recycling program, your non-profit that provides coding classes for the underprivileged, etc.
  • GAMES: playground
  • Consider picking up .APP and direct to your apple/android stores
Those are great ideas, thank you for posting. Apologies for the late response, I have been away from these forums for a few weeks.

Copied this list into my notes and will try these out to see how they work. Thanks!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back