IT.COM

news Red Alert: Get your domain names out of the UK and Australia now!

NameSilo
Watch
If you are a domain name owner using a UK-based or Australian-based registrar, you should seriously consider moving your domains elsewhere, as you apparently have no legal rights to judicial review in their courts after an adverse UDRP or other domain dispute procedure. In other words, you are a second-class citizen if you’re exposed to registrars in those jurisdictions, compared to other jurisdictions in the world. I would strongly recommend that you move your domain names out, or at least get your own independent legal advice.

https://freespeech.com/2022/03/07/red-alert-get-your-domain-names-out-of-the-uk-and-australia-now/

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I live in the UK and I'm practically a second class citizen so I can confirm. I'm English.

1st class citizenship is reserved only for those who are not English, Scottish, Irish or Welsh, exclusively for those who are backed by an NGO/charity/approved faction as judged by "liberals", if you've never worked a day in your life or paid any taxes and/or if you're royalty.

Last edited:
•••
This is a huge issue. Real courts are one of the only things somewhat keeping abuse of UDRP in check. To not have that potential recourse is a major problem.

Brad

•••
Stuff like this will make blockchain domain more popular. Perhaps I should seriously consider them. πŸ€”

Last edited:
•••
Stuff like this will make blockchain domain more popular. Perhaps I should seriously consider them. πŸ€”
Courts largely have jurisdiction over digital assets...be that domains, NFT, crypto, etc.
They are also subject to regulations as everything else is.

If a court is not able to turn over the "domain" they will likely just assess damages, or compel someone to turn it over by holding them in contempt with penalties until they do.

"Decentralization" is more a marketing buzz word than some magic reality where you are outside the law.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
Courts largely have jurisdiction over digital assets...be that domains, NFT, crypto, etc.
They are also subject to regulations as everything else is.

If a court is not able to turn over the "domain" they will likely just assess damages, or compel someone to turn it over by holding them in contempt with penalties until they do.

"Decentralization" is more a marketing buzz word than some magic reality where you are outside the law.

Brad
How can the court do anything if they don’t know who owns the blockchain domain? Kind of the point of decentralization.

Last edited:
•••
What a terrible issure!

•••
Wow, this is a chilling story for sure, good thing I do not have any domains or assets there, but definitely valuable information worth considering for anyone who does.

•••
top UK-based or Australian-based registrars are?

•••
1st class citizenship is reserved only for those who are not English, Scottish, Irish or Welsh, exclusively for those who are backed by an NGO/charity/approved faction as judged by "liberals", if you've never worked a day in your life or paid any taxes and/or if you're royalty.
99.9% of this kind of people, make me vomit

•••
Last edited:
•••
123-reg.co.uk is one of big players, also lcn.com & names.co.uk

•••
Thanks @GeorgeK for all the work you do when it comes to research, accountability, and keeping others updated on these registrant right issues.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
•••
Godaddy bought them remember?

•••
Godaddy bought them remember?

If a registrar is bought, it may or may not change the jurisdiction (the buyer might simply maintain the corporate entity in the original jurisdiction). One should double-check the terms of the registration agreement.

•••
Every right you had has been eroded.

•••
top UK-based or Australian-based registrars are?
SafeNames based in the UK. Has some of the most valuable businesses in the world holding their names with them.

Need to investigate further

Complex issue, thanks for highlighting GK

Last edited:
•••
•••
are the oligarchs investing in domains?
They will take away your domains if you are the citizen of China/Russia or anywhere else except US citizens

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back