Impact
Some of recent numeric .mobi sales (so-called vanity domains) are listed here:

http://forums.DigitalPoint/showthread.php?t=163715

369.mobi sold for $3,200
188.mobi for $625
399.mobi for $340
7777.mobi for $310

Comment:

there are hundreds of millions cell phones in the world, also as other mobile devices, yet many of them capable of web browsing and with good bandwidth.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Yes, but what would make them do that? Pressing 7-3-9 once each in succession would by default give you "PDW" -- you'd have to instruct them somehow to A) switch to the numeric entry of their phone rather than the default alphabetic entry, and then B) hit the keys corresponding to "S-E-X," but only once each. Unless you intend an intensive educational campaign in this way of thinking, or otherwise get people used to thinking of "739" as "SEX" (just to continue with this example), I don't see much likelihood that this whole thing would fly. :imho:

And of course, if you educated users well enough anyway, what's to stop a little old lady from deciding she wants to visit the numeric version of "SEW.mobi" for some needlepoint tips -- and then finding your x-rated Web site? :o

I suppose I could be misunderstanding this thing entirely, of course...

•••
Anthony-Martin said:
Some of recent numeric .mobi sales (so-called vanity domains) are listed here:

369.mobi sold for $3,200
188.mobi for $625
399.mobi for $340
7777.mobi for $310

Technically these aren't considered vanity domains. I posted the definition in your other thread: http://www.namepros.com/1548802-post6.html

dagersh said:
And of course, if you educated users well enough anyway, what's to stop a little old lady from deciding she wants to visit the numeric version of "SEW.mobi" for some needlepoint tips -- and then finding your x-rated Web site? :o

Good point!

Last edited:
•••
MinionDH said:
Good point!

I agree with you, a good point. The more people visit the website, the better for the owner. So IMHO these domains have more value than some domainers may think.

739.mobi (numeric for Sex.mobi) is not the only .mobi domain, and we need to understand that adult .mobi domains, whether regular or numeric, will be just a small part of .mobi domains that will appear on the web.

dagersh said:
Yes, but what would make them do that? Pressing 7-3-9 once each in succession would by default give you "PDW" -- you'd have to instruct them somehow to A) switch to the numeric entry of their phone rather than the default alphabetic entry, and then B) hit the keys corresponding to "S-E-X," but only once each. Unless you intend an intensive educational campaign in this way of thinking, or otherwise get people used to thinking of "739" as "SEX" (just to continue with this example), I don't see much likelihood that this whole thing would fly.

I suppose I could be misunderstanding this thing entirely, of course...

See my posting right above... you really made a good point.

Indeed, what would stop the little old lady from deciding she wants to visit a zoo (not a zoo website, but namely a zoo)? Then if for instance she by chance sees there something a bit unpleasant for her, then she might get embarrassed. But it doesn't mean that zoos should not be visited. :hehe:

What I want to say, the more coincidences (like e.g. Cams.mobi, Cans.mobi, Camp.mobi, and Bans.mobi, which all in their numeric version are 2267.mobi), the better for the domain owner. :imho:

Last edited:
•••
Anthony-Martin said:
What I want to say, the more coincidences (like e.g. Cams.mobi, Cans.mobi, Camp.mobi, and Bans.mobi, which all in their numeric version are 2267.mobi), the better for the domain owner. :imho:

Okay, you got me there -- there would be a lot of overlapping traffic, **if** we assume people understood how to use these things. But once they start to see the resulting confusion of the overlapping, don't you think they might stop trying? They'd know that they would be much more likely to get what they're looking for by typing in the alphabetic domain name.

Just a thought. Obviously, only time will prove whether there's a market for these -- but as I said elsewhere, the three-digit ones will always have value anyway...

•••
dagersh said:
Okay, you got me there -- there would be a lot of overlapping traffic, **if** we assume people understood how to use these things. But once they start to see the resulting confusion of the overlapping, don't you think they might stop trying? They'd know that they would be much more likely to get what they're looking for by typing in the alphabetic domain name.

Just a thought. Obviously, only time will prove whether there's a market for these -- but as I said elsewhere, the three-digit ones will always have value anyway...

Cell phones with alpha input are DEARER and MORE expensive in terms of service plans than plain cell phones with digits only.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back