IT.COM

question Received meta TM issue . Advice needed

NameSilo
Watch

AIS01

Top Member
Impact
I registered a domain few days ago. Received this tm issue today. Advice needed. What should I do ?

I think it's fake

Mail Sender - [email protected]

Here is the mail -

" To Whom It May Concern,

We are writing concerning your registration and use of the domain name *****.com, which contains the Meta trademark.

As you are undoubtedly aware, on October 28, 2021, Facebook, Inc. announced that its name has been changed to Meta Platforms, Inc. (“Meta”). Meta is now the owner of well-known offerings and brands including Facebook, Instagram, Quest and WhatsApp. As part of this corporate rebrand, Meta made a substantial investment in developing its Meta name and trademark and as a result of this, Meta instantly received international recognition.

Accordingly, we were concerned when we learned of your registration and use of ****. As we hope you can appreciate, protection of our trademarks is very important to us. Your registration and use of ****".com violates the Lanham Act (15 U.S.C. 1051 et seq.) because it infringes the Meta trademark.

Infringement occurs when a third party’s use of a company’s trademark (or a confusingly similar variation thereof) is likely to confuse consumers as to the affiliation, sponsorship, or endorsement of the third party’s services.

We have filed several proceedings before the United Nations World Intellectual Property Organization's arbitration panel to protect our trademarks and brands. Meta has consistently prevailed in these cases and the domain names at issue were ordered to be transferred to Meta. We are concerned that your unauthorized use of the Meta name may cause confusion as to whether you or your company’s activities are authorized, endorsed or sponsored by Meta when, in fact, they are not.

We understand that you may have registered *****.com without full knowledge of the law in this area. However, we are concerned about your use of the Meta trademark in your domain name. As you may know, the Anticybersquatting Consumer Protection Act provides for serious penalties (up to $100,000 per domain name) against persons who, without authorization, use, sell, or offer for sale a domain name that infringes another’s trademark.

While Meta respects your right of expression and your desire to conduct business on the Internet, Meta must enforce its own rights in order to protect its valuable trademark. For these reasons, and to avoid consumer confusion, Meta must insist that you immediately stop using *****.com, and transfer the domain name to Meta within 7 business days. You should not sell, offer to sell, or transfer the domain name to a third party.

Please confirm in writing that you will agree to resolve this matter as requested. If we do not receive confirmation from you that you will comply with our request, we will have no choice but to pursue all available remedies against you.

Sincerely,

Meta IP & DNS Enforcement Group
Legal Dept.
Meta Platforms, Inc.

_Any personal data collected by Appdetex and used to identify individuals for the purpose of this communication have been done in accordance with applicable privacy laws and the Appdetex Privacy Policy available at: https://www.appdetex.com/legal/privacy-policy.

Certain information provided herein may be confidential and/or protected from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient of this transmission, please notify the sender immediately and do not deliver, distribute or copy this transmission, disclose its contents, or take any other action in reliance upon or as a result of the information it contains."

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
•••
Could very easily be a scam to steal meta domains from naive domainers. I wouldn't register a Meta domain personally, but not every Meta- prefix or -Meta suffix domain is an infringement.

•••
Could very easily be a scam to steal meta domains from naive domainers. I wouldn't register a Meta domain personally, but not every Meta- prefix or -Meta suffix domain is an infringement.
True 🙂

•••
What is the current situation?

I recommend that you reply to the first e-mail: "I'm thinking of delivering the domain name to you, what's the next step?"
If they direct you to the official channel, the possibility of fraud decreases.

Let's take a look at the full domain name privately. Maybe it's really targeting meta platforms' new trademark registrations.

•••
If it's real, counter sue and get a TM lawyer who would love to crush FB

Depends on who the real enemy is here.

In both cases their lawyers win.

•••
FB does not control META, they bought the .com

It's a dictionary word and a tech word used in programming

If it's real, counter sue and get a TM lawyer who would love to crush FB
Dead right. it's Ancient Greek and transposed to Latin. Been in existence for 2500 years. What will Z do? Sue for Metaphysical, Metamorphosis, Metadata, Metanalytical . Anyway he does not work like that. Meta will have to go to a mediator first, then pay for your side. The mediator looks at the arguments put forth and the worst that happens is that you have to give up your domain .It's not like you are copying their business model and have a website. You won't be sued for millions. just will not happen.

•••
There are thousands of people who have bought meta related domains. Just try and buy one from GoDaddy , like Metacash, metamoney,metabank etc. All taken

•••
Facebook doesn’t have just the extensions they have many meta trademarks now and nobody should be registering Meta after Zuck’s announcement last October.
But there are thousands of companies already registered with a TM with Meta in their name well before Zuckerberg's wife registered it in 2015. They should be suing him.

•••
But there are thousands of companies already registered with a TM with Meta in their name well before Zuckerberg's wife registered it in 2015. They should be suing him.
Its pretty complicated but they bought at least one or two entities out of their meta related trademarks (dated years earlier) in addition multiple of their own meta marks since October 2021.

what matters here now imo if they want to try this on other names is registration date and an adless lander and of course never contact them.

I agree with you its a crock but I would not be surprised if they try this again on other meta names. They have been udrping the most obvious infringements for months now.

Last edited:
•••
Last edited:
•••
For most dictionary words, it is not the owning of a name that could be a TM violation, but its use.

So, if you register AppleProducts.com and sell food made from apple, juice etc, you are fine. If you sell electronics, then you are in trouble. Even if you park and it shows ads for electronics, you are in trouble.

Now, with Meta, FB is even in more shaky ground. Meta was noun term for the industry niche. By registering meta.com and trademark, FB cannot expect to own the term for the industry. You can't trademark "Maritime" for maritime services and expect everyone in that industry drop the name. If someone would be using "Meta" in their name for meta(verse) and FB would challenge them in the court, with the good lawyer a company could prevail over FB.

•••
I didn't see the domain but even if both words are trademarked by Meta it is only a copyright infringement when there is potential for someone to mistake the domain for representing the company in question. It is not in the name but rather how it is used. The word "meta" has enormous meaning in many fields and Facebook can't squat on the term everywhere it is used just by changing their name.

•••
Stay away from Trademarked names.same things happened to me on IBM, and Richard Branson names.
IMO,just delete the name

•••
I think CIA kidnapped the OP.

•••
Meta” may be a perfectly fine trademark, and perhaps it is even the best trademark that they could have found from a legal protectability and risk-management standpoint. But most of the time, once the research starts and the analysis begins, it is often not an especially attractive alternative

Regards,
Will

•••
if both words are trademarked by Meta it is only a copyright infringement when there is potential for someone to mistake the domain for representing the company in question. It is not in the name but rather how it is used.
I hand-regged the meta domain last year, a week before FB announced the rebranding as Meta.
Is this a trademark infringement?

•••
I hand-regged the meta domain last year, a week before FB announced the rebranding as Meta.
Is this a trademark infringement?
I'm not qualified to give legal advice, and that wasn't my intent. Please disregard my previous comment. Ultimately, regardless of the facts or any previous cases, if you are sued or whatever you will have to defend it, and it is the court that would decide what was or was not a trademark infringement. Anyone considering fighting a UDPR request should consult a lawyer.

Last edited:
•••
Meta” may be a perfectly fine trademark, and perhaps it is even the best trademark that they could have found from a legal protectability and risk-management standpoint. But most of the time, once the research starts and the analysis begins, it is often not an especially attractive alternative

Regards,
Will
Copied from an article.

•••
What's there to worry about? Meta (Facebook) is themselves being sued by Meta.is for using the word "Meta".
LMAO.

•••
received similar mail from same provider.

more than 3 months ago; I did not even reply.

Nothing happened.

•••
Back