Dynadot

discuss (Rant) People are investing so much in new gTLDs...

NameSilo
Watch

DomainGist

BigDomains.co.ukTop Member
Impact
Hundreds / thousands of people on here, especially newbies, spending thousands of dollars investing in questionable gTLD's with hardly any track history on namebio, and desperate nonsensical crypto domains which will never find a buyer....

... That is is becoming EASY for people to find a handreg .com for their next web dev project.

Now please understand that this isn't a pop at gTLD's in general, or indeed crypto domains (regretting a few I let go in 2015 right now!). But rather just a general observation that you domainers are letting it slip a little bit.

Allow me to illustrate with my current two projects.

Case study 1: Documentary website

So I wanted to build a documentary website. First things first I need a domain, damn. Where can I find a decent domain? First step is always to hope you strike it lucky with a handreg of course, if that fails you start looking at prices on sedo and afternic.

It was easy, I picked up DocumentaryVine.com, it was a handreg. Loved that domain, so didn't need to start trawling through Sedo, which is good news But why was this available to register in the first place? Here are some developed sites with a similar name:

GodVine (Alexa 111k)
NewsVine (recently closed, internet institution acquired by mnsnbc)
ReadingVine (teaching software)
FileVine (cloud based legal software, $3.2m funding)
CollegeVine (college mentoring program)
GuideVine (Financial adviser directory)

There are a lot more.

Here are some publicly disclosed sales:

LearningVine.com ($3995)
TimeVine.com ($1028)
JewelVine ($2188)
WineVine ($3288)
SocialVine ($2500)

So tell me.... why was DocumentaryVine.com available? Documentaries is one of the largest subreddits, 12 million subscribers, I know for a fact that the second largest free documentary website gets around 3 million page views per month. This isn't a small niche.

Case study 2: Wallpaper website

Most of the hard work is done on the documentary site now, Alexa top 165k already and climbing daily... just have to keep adding content, could do with switching to https and serving content through a CDN at some stage... but I'm ready for my next project.

I'm a fan of 'evergreen' content rather than time limited content, I'm looking for passive income rather than a job.... wallpapers seems like a nice niche, once you've broken through the ridiculous amount of competition. I'm a patient man, I'm building for 5, 10, 15 years so I'll take that challenge.

So once again I need a domain. Ideally a handreg, but will pay if I have to. Admittedly this one was a lot more difficult to find a decent domain for....

I looked at prices of domains I liked.... WallpaperVine was priced at about $1300 unfortunately, outside of my budget. I was struggling, but eventually found.... WallpaperBoss.com

WallpaperBase $3550
WallpaperFinder $1100
WallpaperForYou $1931
WallpaperTop $1205
WallpaperCentral $850

Ending in Boss....

HairBoss.com $2000
LifeBoss.com $5700
PaintBoss $1288
StockBoss $1500
DraftBoss $1400
PasswordBoss $3000
PocketBoss $1500

(etc, etc).

Now, you may counter me on that one and point out that wallpaper domains don't usually go for decent money. I'll accept that one, loads go for around $300, but this was actually a developed site for many years and has some excellent historic backlinks. I hand-regged the domain of a former authority site with some lovely high quality backlinks!

So many people putting faith in gTLD's and stuff like .co and .io.

Do you want to know what I turned down in order to register WallpaperBoss.com? I'll tell you..... I could have handregged DesktopWallpapers.io, and I could have handregged DesktopWallpaper.io to go with it.

And the phrase 'Desktop Wallpapers' gets a lot of monthly searches (100k to 1 million).

And you want to know why I didn't reg that? I didn't reg that because .com is king, and will always be the king, and its ludicrous when you see some of the stuff people are regging on a .io and a .co at huge reg fees and all sorts of other dot craps, when there are evidently still dot coms to be had.

Now I bet that instead of thinking "you know, he's right, I'm going to go and find myself a few .com gems" there will now be people go and register desktopwallpapers.io.

I don't blame them to be honest, that's a nice domain and one which actually works in that extension. If I could be bothered I'd do it myself and see if I could flip it, but I'm too busy (you can forward 10% commission to me if that works out for you).

But I think a lot of people spunking $30,$40, $50 taking a punt on some of these alternative gTLD's, probably in the mistaken belief that they have missed the boat when it comes to dot com and gambling on all sorts of rubbish are forgetting one basic principle....

K.I.S.S

Keep It Simple Stupid

Dot com is king and will always be king.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
@DomainGist
That's cool. Your rant, and your sticking to it. :) You must realize though, usually when someone's ranting they can't be helped..

btw there's a .red extension, airdrop/red might be available..

•••
@DomainGist
That's cool. Your rant, and your sticking to it. :) You must realize though, usually when someone's ranting they can't be helped..

btw there's a .red extension, airdrop/red might be available..

Have you even ever sold a domain?

Or you could be like @boker desperately trying to claw back a few dollars from the thousands he's spent registering unselleable .co domains by trying to palm them off on to fellow domainers for below reg free.... we've all seen that a thousand times before.

But its the mug punters who keep the industry going isn't it, so live and let live!

Last edited:
•••

Or you could be like @boker desperately trying to claw back a few dollars from the thousands he's spent registering unselleable .co domains by trying to palm them off on to fellow domainers for below reg free.... we've all seen that a thousand times before.

But its the mug punters who keep the industry going isn't it, so live and let live!
You're not just a poor seller but also you're stup*d as well...you should check your facts first. If you check my history you should find out that I have made 23k profit this year from selling names like varan.co, simba.co and others. I can bet that I've sold more names in 3 months than you've sold in 10 years. Also, the names that I've sold to resellers were sold later to end users for more than 10 times you've ever sold in your life, so maybe stick to you daily job, because you don't have anything to do with domaining.

Last edited:
•••
A couple here and there..
Agreed. Just imagine what the seller of b o x i n g s t r e a m i n g would do without them.
Mate your canadian.... stick with .ca.... there's literally a post on here about the .ca space is heating up, now is the time to find a few .ca gems.

Yeh, got a few of those. But the problem with us Canadians is we're sneaky bastards, always looking for ways around obstacles..eg taken domains. While .CA is popular with Canadians, I wouldn't recommend going "crypto" trend on it.

Last edited:
•••
Well we have a competition if you want.... lets put spendbitcoin.uk and airdrop.express up for namepros auction today at a $1 start, $1 increment, and I bet my latest handreg will sell for more than your latest handreg even though only UK domainers can own my domain.

Remember that you called my domains crap first, by the way.

I'm giving you good advise here... if I can handreg and then sell bitcoinee.com, mp3app.com, sellbitcoin.co.uk then you don't need to be hand registering registering airdrop.express.

And if you want brandables then I also handregged cryptolo.com (type in your browser).

If you are too stupid to understand how you are wasting your money and accept my advice that you are wasting your money because you could do better handregging .com's.... coming from somebody who has a spreadsheet with 400+ sales they could show you from the past 4 years, and could even prove that they are in firmly in the black from domaining..... and instead listen to people like boker who is literally this minute selling hundreds of .co domains for less than it cost him to register them (great business model, now I understand why I touched a nerve with him).

Then that's your prerogative, but I personally doubt that I'll be seeing your name around here in 2019 if you continue down this nGTLD path.

They come and go on here, most of them do 'go' within a few years, minus quite a bit of wasted money, that has always been the way.

I'd actually be willing to bet good money that I've made more profit flipping .info domains in the past than boker has made selling hundreds of .co domains at a financial loss :xf.grin: Sold at least two .info's for three figures on namepros auctions in fact! I only owned them because they came in a big bulk lot with some nice .com's.... but still, since I got called out for it I may as well draw attention to Borker's spending habits.

And if I was forced to choose between owning InternetPrivacy.info (sold by me for $150 on here in 2015) or Airdrop.Express (owned by you now), I would 100% choose the former, any day of the week.

You've dodged the question twice though.... how much are you in the red?

I'd quite like to know how much borker is in the red too?

Only on namepros could somebody trying to sell catacomb.co for $7 call out somebody for once selling InternetPrivacy.info for $150 on a $1 start namepros auction and get support from Raymond Hackney in the process... a man who gets paid to advertised nGTLD's on the side of his websites but doesn't actually invest in any nGTLD's :xf.grin:

Offer Airdrop.express to Airdrop Records for $1 right now, I bet they say no.

Now Airport.express.... Pizza.express.... those are domains worth owning. Can't think of any others.

You have no idea what are you talking about...I think you have just wake up with some com, info org.uk an .co.uk that you could not sell and you are unhappy thinking that it's others fault because they use ngtlds. Just last months I've sold one co to a reseller for 180$ and paid 0,31$ for it, after 8 days of registering it, so yes, a bad business model. Also, I've received an offer for KISS.TRADE 4 days after registering it, so yes, just bad business model. Around 65% of my portofolio is .com but that doesn't mean I can't make money with .co, ngtlds or cctlds. If you think that just a long .com keyword domain can do the job, than you're in the wrong business even as a developer. You sound just like a 80 years old guy who remembers how he made money in the 80's.

•••
You're not just a poor seller but also you're stup*d as well...you should check your facts first. If you check my history you should find out that I have made 23k profit this year from selling names like varan.co, simba.co and others. I can bet that I've sold more names in 3 months than you've sold in 10 years. Also, the names that I've sold to resellers were sold later to end users for more than 10 times you've ever sold in your life, so maybe stick to you daily job, because you don't have anything to do with domaining.

Interesting response, all I can see about simba.co is that you put it on auction at godaddy with a $20 start, can't find any sale reported in namebio.

https://www.namepros.com/threads/simba-co-in-auction-at-godaddy.1025550/

How much did that sell for then?

I'm actually back here as a buyer by the way, not a seller, I would have thought my OP made that pretty clear.....I'll be starting some more logo contests soon, next one will be probably my 15th or 20th on here :xf.rolleyes:

aaaaaaaaaaaa.PNG

I'm also looking for domains so I can build some websites (and they need logos, rinse and repeat)....

nnnnnnnnnnnn.PNG

But of course.... you don't need buyers to keep the ecosystem going or anything, and obviously I'm too poor and too stupid to bid on your domains.

That's the crux of the matter I think isn't it.... you think you don't sell any domains because everybody else in the world is stupid, not because your domains have no resale value.

Last edited:
•••
I've sold over 370 domain this year, so that's saying a lot about what I can sale and if others like my domains. Out of 23 end user sales from this year, just 2 sales are listed at namebio, so that says a lot about your knowledge about this industry, if you think if if not on namebio, it's not true. Also, all my domains are listed with a low starting bid so that I know exactly which one's are more in demand and to priced them accordingly, but what I'm talking about it's just foreign language for you and if stick another 10 years around maybe you will start learning something.

•••
I've sold over 370 domain this year, so that's saying a lot about what I can sale and if others like my domains. Out of 23 end user sales from this year, just 2 sales are listed at namebio, so that says a lot about your knowledge about this industry, if you think if if not on namebio, it's not true. Also, all my domains are listed with a low starting bid so that I know exactly which one's are more in demand and to priced them accordingly, but what I'm talking about it's just foreign language for you and if stick another 10 years around maybe you will start learning something.

I had domain name sales published on dnjournal.com before you knew what a domain name was fella.

But I'm just one buyer that you have alienated. Like I said.... I'm here to buy.

DON'T respond to this thread:

https://www.namepros.com/threads/5-letter-pronoucable-com-domains.1056845/

Last edited:
•••
I have had domain name sales published on dnjournal.com before you knew what a domain name was fella.

But I'm just one buyer that you have alienated. Like I said.... I'm here to buy.

DON'T respond to this thread:

https://www.namepros.com/threads/5-letter-pronoucable-com-domains.1056845/
I will not sale you anything even if you offer 200 times more than the next buyer... that's one more prove how well experienced are you regarding namepros and domaing in general. You have just violated at least 6 rules if no more and you're thread will be deleted by the admins in the next few hours. Also, believe me that not even one single serious seller will not sell you anything here when they know your thinking. Probably, you were in dnjournal with one of your info and org.uk names. I own at this moment 9 developed websites and for at least 7 of their domains I can be listed in dnjournal. If this is your prove that your a great domainer, again, it's just proving my point, you're like a dinosaur trying to fit in 2018.

Last edited:
•••
Oh no I broke some rules, quick call the cops.

I actually asked namepros to lock this thread ages ago and they refused.

As for a domainer turning down my cash because I'd upset a fellow domainer, on what planet? :ROFL:

Had about 30 domains hit my inbox in half an hour.

Last edited:
•••
Oh no I broke some rules, quick call the cops.

I actually asked namepros to lock this thread ages ago and they refused.

As for a domainer turning down my cash, on what planet?
So now admins should do what you are asking them, no?
About breaking some rules, it was just another prove how well experienced are you regarding namepros and domaining in general.
As for a reseller thinking that you're the only one who's buying here from the over 1 million members, that's another 80's thinking. Nobody cares about you and nobody will loose one cent if you don't buy. Probably all namepros members are crying thinking at all the last years you weren't here to buy, everybody was poorer. I can bet that 99.99% of namepros members don't know who you are, don't care who you are and they have never sold or bought anything from you.

•••
So now admins should do what you are asking them, no?

That would be nice.

About breaking some rules, it was just another prove how well experienced are you regarding namepros and domaining in general. As for a reseller thinking that you're the only one who's buying here from the over 1 million members, that's another 80's thinking.

I'M HERE TO FUCKING BUY DOMAINS, I HAVE NO DOMAINS TO SELL

I
HAVE
NO
DOMAINS
TO
SELL

I AM NOT BUYING DOMAINS TO SELL

I HAVE NO DOMAINS FOR SALE

I AM NOT BUYING DOMAINS TO RESELL

UNDERSTAND????

Vreți acest lucru în limba română? Eu nu sunt aici pentru a vinde domenii, eu sunt aici pentru a cumpara domenii. De ce nu înțelegi tu persoana asta proastă?

I can bet that 99.99% of namepros members don't know who you are, don't care who you are and they have never sold or bought anything from you.

GOOD!

That's the best way. Mate I don't even have a twitter account, I don't have a linkedin account, I have zero desire whatsoever for any sort of public profile. I even have domain privacy on both of the domains in my OP. The bigger the profile the less you should trust somebody... case in point:

1). Shane Bellone
2). Adam Dicker

People who want a name for themselves = the worst people on earth. That's why I told you to watch federer, a real domainer. Learn from him, he is the main man on here.

If I'm well known for anything it was getting a letter from Adam Dickers solicitor and posting my response. I hated the attention so much I changed my namepros username.

Now thank you and good night. Good luck with your domaining, and Merry Christmas.

Last edited:
•••
That would be nice.

I'M HERE TO f*ckING BUY DOMAINS, I HAVE NO DOMAINS TO SELL

I
HAVE
NO
DOMAINS
TO
SELL

I AM NOT BUYING DOMAINS TO SELL

I HAVE NO DOMAINS FOR SALE

I AM NOT BUYING DOMAINS TO RESELL

UNDERSTAND????

Vreți acest lucru în limba română? Eu nu sunt aici pentru a vinde domenii, eu sunt aici pentru a cumpara domenii. De ce nu înțelegi tu persoana asta proastă?

GOOD!

That's the best way. Mate I don't even have a twitter account, I don't have a linkedin account, I have zero desire whatsoever for any sort of public profile. I even have domain privacy on both of the domains in my OP. The bigger the profile the less you should trust somebody... case in point:

1). Shane Bellone
2). Adam Dicker

People who want a name for themselves = the worst people on earth. That's why I told you to watch federer, a real domainer. Learn from him, he is the main man on here.

Now thank you and good night. Good luck with your domaining, and Merry Christmas.
You are so stupid quoting Federer and you don't know that he own over 1000 .co's...this is another prove. Yo're out of this world...all your activity here was to ask for some logo's and sell some info's...bad luck for us.

•••
You are so stupid quoting Federer and you don't know that he own over 1000 .co's...this is another prove. Yo're out of this world...all your activity here was to ask for some logo's and sell some info's...bad luck for us.

I would quite like to fly over to Ireland to beat the living shit out of you. Is that against the namepros rules?

You have wilted my flower.

Last edited:
•••
I would quite like to fly over to Ireland to beat the living sh*t out of you. Is that against the namepros rules?

You have wilted my flower.
You knacker, you have my address I can even pay your ferry ticket if it's to much for you. Or maybe you don't have any idea in which way to go even to reach Ireland. I can bet you don't know anything outside your little world and you have no idea what's going on around you. Probably when you reach Scotland you think that you have reached the other side of the world. Check the stories and if you're not convinced, I can send you a map to make sure you will find the right place.

•••
Does this mean no one cares about airdrop readiness?

•••
You knacker, you have my address I can even pay your ferry ticket if it's to much for you. Or maybe you don't have any idea in which way to go even to reach Ireland. I can bet you don't know anything outside your little world and you have no idea what's going on around you. Probably when you reach Scotland you think that you have reached the other side of the world. Check the stories and if you're not convinced, I can send you a map to make sure you will find the right place.

I'm going on a date with your mother...

gypsy.jpg

•••
I'm going on a date with your mother...

Show attachment 76265
:xf.grin:I wonder how the mother of a knacker will look like if not like this? Probably you uploaded the wrong picture...this looks like a family picture for a real knacker. Maybe you will need another help like google translate earlier to teach you how to upload the right picture.

•••
Hundreds / thousands of people on here, especially newbies, spending thousands of dollars investing in questionable gTLD's with hardly any track history on namebio, and desperate nonsensical crypto domains which will never find a buyer....

... That is is becoming EASY for people to find a handreg .com for their next web dev project.

Now please understand that this isn't a pop at gTLD's in general, or indeed crypto domains (regretting a few I let go in 2015 right now!). But rather just a general observation that you domainers are letting it slip a little bit.

Allow me to illustrate with my current two projects.

Case study 1: Documentary website

So I wanted to build a documentary website. First things first I need a domain, damn. Where can I find a decent domain? First step is always to hope you strike it lucky with a handreg of course, if that fails you start looking at prices on sedo and afternic.

It was easy, I picked up DocumentaryVine.com, it was a handreg. Loved that domain, so didn't need to start trawling through Sedo, which is good news But why was this available to register in the first place? Here are some developed sites with a similar name:

GodVine (Alexa 111k)
NewsVine (recently closed, internet institution acquired by mnsnbc)
ReadingVine (teaching software)
FileVine (cloud based legal software, $3.2m funding)
CollegeVine (college mentoring program)
GuideVine (Financial adviser directory)

There are a lot more.

LearningVine.com ($3995)
TimeVine.com ($1028)
JewelVine ($2188)
WineVine ($3288)
SocialVine ($2500)

So tell me.... why was DocumentaryVine.com available? Documentaries is one of the largest subreddits, 12 million subscribers, I know for a fact that the second largest free documentary website gets around 3 million page views per month. This isn't a small niche.

Case study 2: Wallpaper website

Most of the hard work is done on the documentary site now, Alexa top 165k already and climbing daily... just have to keep adding content, could do with switching to https and serving content through a CDN at some stage... but I'm ready for my next project.

I'm a fan of 'evergreen' content rather than time limited content, I'm looking for passive income rather than a job.... wallpapers seems like a nice niche, once you've broken through the ridiculous amount of competition. I'm a patient man, I'm building for 5, 10, 15 years so I'll take that challenge.

So once again I need a domain. Ideally a handreg, but will pay if I have to. Admittedly this one was a lot more difficult to find a decent domain for....

I looked at prices of domains I liked.... WallpaperVine was priced at about $1300 unfortunately, outside of my budget. I was struggling, but eventually found.... WallpaperBoss.com

WallpaperBase $3550
WallpaperFinder $1100
WallpaperForYou $1931
WallpaperTop $1205
WallpaperCentral $850

Ending in Boss....

HairBoss.com $2000
LifeBoss.com $5700
PaintBoss $1288
StockBoss $1500
DraftBoss $1400
PasswordBoss $3000
PocketBoss $1500

(etc, etc).

Now, you may counter me on that one and point out that wallpaper domains don't usually go for decent money. I'll accept that one, loads go for around $300, but this was actually a developed site for many years and has some excellent historic backlinks. I hand-regged the domain of a former authority site with some lovely high quality backlinks!

So many people putting faith in gTLD's and stuff like .co and .io.

Do you want to know what I turned down in order to register WallpaperBoss.com? I'll tell you..... I could have handregged DesktopWallpapers.io, and I could have handregged DesktopWallpaper.io to go with it.

And the phrase 'Desktop Wallpapers' gets a lot of monthly searches (100k to 1 million).

And you want to know why I didn't reg that? I didn't reg that because .com is king, and will always be the king, and its ludicrous when you see some of the stuff people are regging on a .io and a .co at huge reg fees and all sorts of other dot craps, when there are evidently still dot coms to be had.

Now I bet that instead of thinking "you know, he's right, I'm going to go and find myself a few .com gems" there will now be people go and register desktopwallpapers.io.

I don't blame them to be honest, that's a nice domain and one which actually works in that extension. If I could be bothered I'd do it myself and see if I could flip it, but I'm too busy (you can forward 10% commission to me if that works out for you).

But I think a lot of people spunking $30,$40, $50 taking a punt on some of these alternative gTLD's, probably in the mistaken belief that they have missed the boat when it comes to dot com and gambling on all sorts of rubbish are forgetting one basic principle....

K.I.S.S

Keep It Simple Stupid

Dot com is king and will always be king.

Why would you pay thousands of dollars for a ".com" when you can have a more descriptive one for a few dollars?

(c'est reparti pour un an :)

•••
•••
•••
Personally, I have sold 118 worthless ngTLD domains for at least $xxx /each. These buyers must all have been drunk. I salute ethanol!

All sane domainers knows that .com is the best extension by far. Still, it is not that easy to get good, or even decent names, without having deep pockets. This is a well-known fact as well.

•••
Why would you pay thousands of dollars for a ".com" when you can have a more descriptive one for a few dollars?

(c'est reparti pour un an :)

why pay 6 figures for a 1 word .com when you can have a 1 word .ws for $xx?

•••
Dot Crap, I haven't heard that one before. Better description than Dot Whatever. Well, the ease of hand registering one word dot craps is easier than pouring over expired day after day. I have basically invested a solid year looking at the daily drop lists, and have seen plenty of decent names in things that domainers got tired of holding and don't interest me. So, that leaves more for the smart money to gather up. I am compiling a database of parsed out two word domains from about a years worth of drops not sure how to organize it yet.
don't laugh , i'm pretty sure their are people who would pay good money for .crap domains (i'm not one of them ) were talking about the same domainers that invested in .moe & other horrible domain extensions

Last edited:
•••
Personally, I have sold 118 worthless ngTLD domains for at least $xxx /each.

Well then as standalone domains those 118 domains weren't worthless were they (although would need profit & loss, across your entire ngTLD portfolio, before determining whether this is a 'success' or not).

Those that buy bad gtld probably register worse dot com

Lock already won the debate with this valid point. One short sentence, won the thread.

By the way... I see that you own a lot of .xyz domains. Personally I think this is the extension which survive long term out of the genuine nGTLD's, it will stand beside .net as a viable and recognised .com alternative. That is 'the one', and the only new one which was needed.

I would genuinely consider building on a .xyz, and would take it over the ccTLD's like .co, .tv and .io.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back