IT.COM

.ca R E D (dot) ca Acquisition - My biggest .ca purchase to date

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

MapleDots

Account Closed (Requested)
Impact
After quite a bit of negotiation I finally acquired the domain Red (dot) ca today.

It was the same way I buy most of my domains, I cold contacted the owner and we did the deal via email and telephone. In this case it was an ex domainer who answered my emails and it we negotiated back and forth stating pros and cons for ownership to dollar value.

In the end I can say the seller is happy and as the new owner I am also happy.

I will be re-branding the domain as a Canadian Domain Re-seller with a logo similar to my current avatar.
It will be a Red Dot with .ca in white writing.

It will be used for my current MapleDots .ca & .com website and it should be a great fit with the whole red dot logo branding I have in use.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
@MapleDots
No doubt, for Canada / + that's surely an attractive domain.
May I ask you what is your main reason behind choosing "red" instead of another colorname?

Last edited:
•••
Coincidentally, I got my VIP badge today. Maybe you just have to spend some money to get one of those :xf.laugh: :xf.laugh: :xf.laugh:

No. You just need to be a blabber mouth on the forum ;) (This is sarcasm) I think you got a great name. Congrats.

Last edited:
•••
@MapleDots
No doubt, for Canada / + that's surely an attractive domain.
May I ask you what is your main reason behind choosing "red" instead of another colorname?

Maybe, because of this? )

http%3A%2F%2Fo.aolcdn.com%2Fhss%2Fstorage%2Fmidas%2Fefd427f92c6797ed18622fb15664f929%2F205052193%2F184399449.jpg

•••
story-time-at-white-city-regional-library1517345774-2018-02-16.png

HeHe

There is a great story attached to that.....

I do some iT work on the side and one of my specialties is securing networks for kids safety. I always used the domain red.com as my test domain because it was so short. I told parents to type in red .com and if the site loads the network is unprotected and not safe for kids. If red.com was blocked then the network was safe for children. That is the way I set it up because it was an inert domain and I could type it in with young children present. It was an easy way for parents to check if the networks safeties were in place.

One day a parent called me in a panic and said the network was open because red came up. Turns out they were typing in red.ca so I started blocking it as well. After a while I started using red.ca exclusively for the task because it was actually shorter to type than red.com.

So I have been blocking red.ca for about 10 years now and suddenly I am the owner of the domain.

HeHe totally ironic wouldn't you say :xf.laugh::ROFL::xf.laugh::ROFL::xf.laugh::ROFL:

In closing... I guess I got attached to it after typing it in thousands of times. :xf.eek:

Last edited:
•••
Last edited:
•••
No. You just need to be a blabber mouth on the forum ;) (This is sarcasm) I think you got a great name. Congrats.

No way you got it wrong stub man...

You need to be a blabber mouth, a member for a year, and you have to beg for a specific amount of likes :xf.laugh::xf.laugh:

This means I've been bugging you at least a year :ROFL::ROFL:

•••
Show attachment 83339

HeHe

There is a great story attached to that.....

I do some iT work on the side and one of my specialties is securing networks for kids safety. I always used the domain red.com as my test domain because it was so short. I told parents to type in red .com and if the site loads the network is unprotected and not safe for kids. If red.com was blocked then the network was safe for children. That is the way I set it up because it was an inert domain and I could type it in with young children present. It was an easy way for parents to check if the networks safeties were in place.

One day a parent called me in a panic and said the network was open because red came up. Turns out they were typing in red.ca so I started blocking it as well. After a while I started using red.ca exclusively for the task because it was actually shorter to type than red.com.

So I have been blocking red.ca for about 10 years now and suddenly I am the owner of the domain.

HeHe totally ironic wouldn't you say :xf.laugh::ROFL::xf.laugh::ROFL::xf.laugh::ROFL:

In closing... I guess I got attached to it after typing it in thousands of times. :xf.eek:

Sounds like it is indeed "based on true events" :rolleyes:
I was asking because I own a domain which is the epitome of "red" so I was curious why you were choosing it ("red").

Last edited:
•••
HeHe... if you read my story, I did not say that is why I bought it, I just said there was a story attached to it.

I bought it because of this...

.ca

MapleDots

red.ca

get it

Red Dot or....

red1.png

•••
I actually quite like this version of the logo. I'm not 100% confident I like the black "Red". But it could grow on me. My suggestion would be to remove it and just use the red dot part of the logo. Clean and simple. If you saw this red dot part of the logo by itself you would immediately think of red.ca already. Who says you need to have to spell out the entire domain name in your logo? Nobody? I think it's too much. Look at your MapleDots logo. You are not trying to put the whole domain name in your logo. So you would be consistent.

Last edited:
•••
That is what I have planned stub.... just a red dot with ca

I will actually be using this logo for now and the red dot as the favicon

99356_1badf038b0c46695997446690506a836.png

Eventually I can drop the word red or write it like this .ca

Last edited:
•••
I like that also. Clean and simple, and to the point.

•••
That is what I have planned stub.... just a red dot with ca

I will actually be using this logo for now and the red dot as the favicon

99356_1badf038b0c46695997446690506a836.png

Eventually I can drop the word red or write it like this .ca
Pesonally...I would add the flag in the dot..just my thoughts

•••
HeHe... if you read my story, I did not say that is why I bought it, I just said there was a story attached to it.

I bought it because of this...

.ca

MapleDots

red.ca

get it

Red Dot or....

Show attachment 83340

I love this version of your logo! Congrats!

•••
You are welcome ) My shortcoming is I am not well versed with graphics software. That is why I draw my logos on paper, scan and give to a designer to digitize it.

I like when there is a story behind the logo, or hidden meaning that once you get it you have an "aha" moment and think "well, that was witty"...

You can still use this along with the other paid logo )

I implemented an even simpler version in my new signature....
What do you think, the least cluttered logo ever, simplicity personified :xf.grin:

Last edited:
•••
•••
What do you think, the least cluttered logo ever, simplicity personified :xf.grin:
While perhaps better in theory, I would argue that there's value in appending the "ca" to further promote your Canadian presence. Additionally, just the dot is somewhat difficult to see, and click, by nature of its size.

The choice ultimately lies with your preferences :)

•••

Thought of that ) but that would be "red dot". There is certain advantage when your brand includes the extension. You will get more type ins. And you will stress that you are all about Canada 🍁

Here is another version that you can use in parallel

. 🍁

•••
Thought of that ) but that would be "red dot". There is certain advantage when your brand includes the extension. You will get more type ins. And you will stress that you are all about Canada 🍁

Here is another version that you can use in parallel

. 🍁
That would work particularly well with a .maple extension.

Not giving you any ideas, Maple!

•••
That would work particularly well with a .maple extension.

Not giving you any ideas, Maple!

Or future .mapleleaf extension :-D

•••
Or future .mapleleaf extension :-D

a .mapleleaf might be a bit long but a .maple ..... hmmm

You are right though I think I will add the ca again

•••
Pesonally...I would add the flag in the dot..just my thoughts

personally I'd replace the dot with face of justin trudeau ;)

jk... that'd not really add credibility to your business. :P

•••
personally I'd replace the dot with face of justin trudeau ;)

jk... that'd not really add credibility to your business. :P
The flag more long term....lol

•••
Picture0004.png

Brand recognition, this will probably become the branding, favicon etc.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back