IT.COM

question Quick way to sell?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

lrs1995

Established Member
Impact
Has anyone had luck selling to company or website that owns the same domain you have but a different extension.
Lets say for example, some company owns xxxxx.com
How hard is it to sell the same company a domain like xxxxx.net or xxxxx.org

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
really hard, unless it's generic name

•••
Trade places and ask yourself how likely you would be to entertain such an offer, especially accompanied by a substantial price tag?

•••
The only reason they might consider buying it is purely for protection. (assuming you not talking about a trade market company name here)

Lets say they owned MensShoes.com and you wanted to sell them the .net /.org etc... the main reason they might buy it is to protect themselves from competitors buying the .net or .org and developing them into competing websites.

•••
If you approach them, then that can be evidence of bad faith, and they may be able to take the name away from you.

•••
Was able to sell one, See if it qualifies. "Ace.Group" to Ace Group of companies that had a domain name "Acegroupindia.com". Their group name and logo name was a perfect match to the website name "Ace.Group". I must say that they have far vision. I am hopeful of dot group .... what u say ?

•••
I think ace.group and acegroupindia.com are slightly different, it's more like a new company image

•••
If they've already owned .COM, they will don't want to buy more .NET or .ORG,...IMO

•••
If they have the .net .org or others and you have the .com, you are in luck. They other way around is a different story.

•••
Last year I successfully sold a matching .org to the company using the .com. I think they were enticed to make an offer after my outreach email purely for brand protection. I also think the sale was somewhat lucky. Just pitch it as a brand protection play and see what they say.

•••
You end up having udrp emailing companies with a different extensions. There are many cases like this.

•••
Most probably would create their own subdomains on their .com rather than split up their traffic.

With the availability i see, most .com holders dont care about all the other extensions.

•••
Brand protection is the better pitch. Provide an example of companies that have done the same .

Good luck

•••
You end up having udrp emailing companies with a different extensions. There are many cases like this.
It won't if they don't have any trademark of that name. That's why we should really need to perform trademark check before purchase or hand reg....

•••
I have done that many times with success but only if the domain name I was offering was
1 generic and no TM issue
2 was an upgrade to their current domain (.com vs .net / .nl vs .eu / .net vs .info )

•••
Back