IT.COM

discuss Quick easy advise for beginners

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
After looking at a lot of appraisal threads from beginners, here are some quick, small advise for you, before you start investing in domain names:

• Do not buy any domain in the first 2 weeks of you starting off as a domain investor
  • Know why you are in this game - short term, medium-term or long term. Usually short term doesn't work very well
  • Do not invest in anything apart from .COM, .NET, .ORG, .CO, .IO and a couple of other extensions which you understand
  • Stay away from new extensions unless you really really understand and have done your research

I will share more tips but keep these very basic tips in your mind as you start off. You will save tons of disappointments, time, energy etc.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Hi

before you give any advice, or try to advise anyone,
it's best to know the difference between them.

as grammar is critical.

imo...

Last edited:
•••
Hi

as grammar is critical.

imo...
Thanks for pointing it out. My bad! Will ensure that grammar is taken care of, going forward.
Anything you would like to add to this?

•••
Hi! I read many articles about selling domains but I can't find a step-by-step procedure of the selling process. If I search "How to sell a domain" or "Sell a domain process" all I get is strategy tips. I can't find anywhere a step-by-step guide of the selling process to another person. Is there any method to sell a domain directly to another person without the registrar mediation ? What's the step-by-step procedure with the registrar help ? I'm thinking if I find a buyer I could low the price right to the negotiation level and he can buy it directly. Which are the step-by-step procedures in both cases (with and without registrar mediation). Can you help me, pls ?

•••
Hii,If you get any thread..please share

•••
Hi! I read many articles about selling domains but I can't find a step-by-step procedure of the selling process. If I search "How to sell a domain" or "Sell a domain process" all I get is strategy tips. I can't find anywhere a step-by-step guide of the selling process to another person. Is there any method to sell a domain directly to another person without the registrar mediation ? What's the step-by-step procedure with the registrar help ? I'm thinking if I find a buyer I could low the price right to the negotiation level and he can buy it directly. Which are the step-by-step procedures in both cases (with and without registrar mediation). Can you help me, pls ?

Good question @poietu. I had the same ones about a year ago when I started doing this.

You need the registrar at some point in the transaction (at least to switch ownership of the domain). However, the process you are referring to would work as a standard business transaction I guess, agree on a price, write a contract, transfer the asset and receive the payment.

The problem with this? Trust.
If you do not know the buyer and the buyer do not know you it is preferred for both parties to go through and intermediary like Afternic, DAN, Sedo etc. to settle the deal at the price agreed. This does not mean that you cannot negotiate outside of such marketplaces. You use the marketplace in such case as a safety for a smooth and safe transaction for both parties - in the same way as you have real-estate brokers when buying property.

If you want to get started with selling names I recommend using established marketplaces like Afternic.com, Sedo.com, Dan.com or the ones hosted by registrars like GoDaddy Auctions, SAV Auctions etc.

Best of luck with sales!

Last edited:
•••
For doing deals outside the marketplaces, there has to be some trust.

I have done plenty of deals through Pay Pal payment; however, I usually give them a link to my professional LinkedIn page. I tell them to connect with me there, so they can see that is my account. I also tell them to Google me and I give them my phone number to call.

I have the advantage of having a long career in corporate world, so they can see I am not the kind of person that is running a scam for XXX or XXXX

I have even set up customers on payment plans through PayPal (use the subscription option) long before it was popular on the marketplaces.

•••
i can't find anywhere a step-by-step guide of the selling process to another person.

Hi

the "selling" process, assuming you are the owner:

1. seller and buyer agree on price and method of payment
2. buyer sends payment as agreed via previously specified means, (escrow, paypal, crypto, marketplace)
3. after payment is verified, seller transfers domain to buyer,
A. buyer has to request the auth code from existing registrar and then supply that auth code to buyer
or "push the domain " if at same registrar.
B. if buyer requests auth code to transfer domain to a different registrar, then you must unlock the domain before/asap after sending code, and also agree to allow the domain to be transferred from your account.
you should receive email from your registrar to approve it.

4. buyer acknowledges receipt of domain.
5. seller thanks buyer for doing business with them.

** if/while a domain is still in 60 day lock, then it cannot be transferred to a different registrar. it can only be "pushed" to a different account at the SAME registrar. **

imo...

•••
Hi

as grammar is critical.

imo...

A pet hate of mine is when a name is for "sell" instead of for sale.

•••
•••
I do have a question concerning the sale of a domain name. When you have a really great URL that could sell in the hundreds of thousands if not more (for example gems.com), are these domains best sold with BIN or Auction? What is the general strategy to sell a domain of this stature? What is a favorite platform to use?

Last edited:
•••
After looking at a lot of appraisal threads from beginners, here are some quick, small advise for you, before you start investing in domain names:

• Do not buy any domain in the first 2 weeks of you starting off as a domain investor
  • Know why you are in this game - short term, medium-term or long term. Usually short term doesn't work very well
  • Do not invest in anything apart from .COM, .NET, .ORG, .CO, .IO and a couple of other extensions which you understand
  • Stay away from new extensions unless you really really understand and have done your research

I will share more tips but keep these very basic tips in your mind as you start off. You will save tons of disappointments, time, energy etc.
Hi,
i am grateful fo any information i receive since i am a begginer. I bought my first domain after three months reading about this line of work, and i can say i have no idea what i bought. Is there a way or tool to find domain that is good without buying bad domains in the future.

•••
Hi,
i am grateful fo any information i receive since i am a begginer. I bought my first domain after three months reading about this line of work, and i can say i have no idea what i bought. Is there a way or tool to find domain that is good without buying bad domains in the future.
That can be a challenge, especially for beginners.
There are various free estimator tools on the internet, including GoDaddy's, Estibot, and Nameworth. You could consider checking them first before purchasing. Overall, on this forum many have commented on the limited reliability of these, but they might at least provide a start.
NameBio.com is a useful tool for checking comparable domain name sales.
Good luck with your journey.

•••
Pay attention to the spelling of words. Don't make words by yourself as much as possible. Be sure to consider the search volume and avoid negative words.
Imo

•••
1 My advice is to learn first before you buy.

2 Read the forum.

3 There are domaining rooms on ClubHouse.

4 Follow domainers on Twitter.

5 Follow reported sales threads.

6 Do not trust valuation tools they are inaccurate in most cases.

7 See similar sales for keyword you are considering via NameBio.com

8 You need to know how to determine if a name is good or not- that takes time and knowledge.

9 Watch what auctions are popular on DropCatch,GoDaddy Auctions etc

10 Don’t rush.

11 Start by buying names in a niche or niches you have a good working knowledge of.

12 We can guide you but you have to put the work in and time in to learn

**I do not agree with the first post. There is nothing quick and easy about domaining**

Last edited:
•••
Thank you all for you feedback. You've been very helpful.

•••
Start by buying names in a niche or niches you have a good working knowledge of.

The one issue with this commonly touted advice is that not all niches are equal in profitability.

The domainer whose interested in the restaurant trade is going to have to flip a lot of restaurant names (or find a big chain) to build up any capital as that industry (in comparison to say tech / finance) in not known for paying big bucks for marketing.

•••
I do have a question concerning the sale of a domain name. When you have a really great URL that could sell in the hundreds of thousands if not more (for example gems.com), are these domains best sold with BIN or Auction? What is the general strategy to sell a domain of this stature? What is a favorite platform to use?
No one is answering this.

It will help lots of beginners.

•••
No one is answering this.

It will help lots of beginners.

Not a lot of beginners with legit 6 figure names, but those are the type of names you leave as “make offer” and you negotiate up to 6+ figures. You don't want names like that in an auction.

•••
•••
Back