Dynadot

Questions for those that went from part-time to full-time domaining

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

lknights1987

Established Member
Impact
1. What do you do differently now compared to when you were domaining part-time?
2. Did you acquire more domain names when you changed from part-time to full-time domaining?
3. Do you regret quitting your job to take up domaining full-time?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
@lknights1987 I dropped more and focus on better quality domains.

•••
3. Do you regret quitting your job to take up domaining full-time?

As a person doing it as a pleasure / hobby (not full-time), I think those that do take the decision to go full-time as their sole income wouldn't be doing it, unless rigorously proven to themselves that they can make it work, and go beyond the pay of their previous job. If there is a regret, it may lie in a miscalculation of how much you enjoy the business / how it fits in your life, or how much you're actually getting out of it

Felt like answering 3. However, the question(s) aren't for me. I'll back out and let the full-timers answer

Last edited:
•••
Domaining is 99% waiting, there is nothing to do that takes more than 30 minutes a day even if you have 10k names.

If you choose to do it full time it's because the money you earn enables you to not have a full time job.

Obviously if you are beginner it will take longer, especially if you are still in the phase of the outbound sales fantasy or think looking at traffic stats to landers matter.

For most veteran domainers this is their day.

Review domains that are dropping / expiring using keywords they like

Review the names that have bidding action

Look at some blogs and daily lists

Visit namepros and look at some threads and domains for sale

Place bids or backorders

Add names to marketplaces, parking platforms

If you have offers you reply

You might list some names on sites like np ebay and if you enjoy getting emails from scammers, list on flippa and download telegram

Review namebio for latest sales

Review renewals and what to drop

PS reading news to look for trends will usually lose you more money than you will earn.

Last edited:
•••
You will need money to carry you the first 3 months , that with the expectation you will not sell any names . I would recommend having at a minimum $3,500 to purchase names from the auction houses from day 1 when going full time. You will need to have two computer screens min running during work. You will need to utilize ALL available auction sites. There are also some that only have a once a month auction , these are crucial for maximum ROI , your average work day should be 12 hours per day , a lot of days of 16 hours per day . Remember you are jumping in shark infested waters and must stay completely focused at most all times during your working hours , things happen really fast and can be the difference in thousands of dollars at the end of your fiscal year.

Part Time as opposed to Full Time domaining is Apples to Oranges , you will indeed buy more names , many more names when full time , low budget startup full time is $3,500 , that just my opinion . $5,000 to $10,000 startup is a more ideal figure . Inventory is king .

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back