IT.COM

new gtlds Pull up your sleeves, you new G's

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

HotKey

Made in CanadaTop Member
Impact
For the 3rd time in 6 months, watching the ol' tee-vee and wouldn't you know, on comes a Go Daddy commercial, with surprise surprise, promoting .guesswhatyesdot-com

I have yet to see another registrar or registry produce something like this for new G's, or anything for that matter.

So essentially, what we have here, is the maximum exposure on prime time television. 3 times in 6 months. Resulting in Mom and Pop knowing only three things:

- to buy a domain
- and there is only one extension
- all at one registrar

GD.

Soo, what the heck is every other registry and registrar doing to combat this monopolization? Nothing. No sleeves being pulled up, nothing being invested in main-stream television advertising by them.

I mean, comeon, get to work people. Investors pulling up our sleeves, but we seem to be the only ones. We have limited resources in educating the masses. To generate mass appeal on new products, we need exposure from the source, or even places like talk shows. Eg. Ellen or Jimmy Fallon. Else we're looking at a 50 year adoption rate. I mean slow and steady winds the race, but that slow??

When you have prime-time exposure, you don't have to worry about the distractors sitting around in circles singing kum ba yah and moaning and groaning how the non-coms don't get traffic, there's no comparables and oh no they are soo confusing. We don't need this mantra as new G investors. I would prefer if you're not willing to be educated, at the very least offer something constructive that improves to what we're building.

I realize Verisign is pooping cash, which helps them inject funds to, well, help them poop more cash, but surely the people who run new extensions had more than just the initial capital of 180k to acquire the new G?

They can't make something on the magnitude of a domain extension and expect people to just know about it. Particularly when up against an almost 40 year old behemoth.

So what's the problem? Are there vested interests that are attempting to bury new adoption? Or are these new registries really that cash-strapped? Whatever it is, looks like it continues to be up to us to roll up our sleeves and plug on. But until more excitement is generated, my weight will be on current stock rather than new acquisitions.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Because you sounds like a programmer, getting all the technical details right but without common sense, if domaining is part art and part science you have missed all of the "art". Good luck with your new tlds.

Why are you reversing the question? Have you sold any names?

Businesses don't use these names. It is mostly domain flippers.

Why are new tld registries lining up at domain conferences, sponsoring domainer blogs whilst doing no marketing to enduser then? The supposed 500k buyers turn up to domain conferences to spruik these names, that isn't marketing to businesses.

The enduser is the domainer but they don't want you to realise that, they want you to think you are in the middle making a fat middleman profit rather than the end of the line.
I can see that you lack business, sales and marketing skills Johnny and in your world they should try to get any loafer in off the street for a free sandwich, but that just doesn't pay the way an army of cash-incentivised sales people do in the initial launch sequence.

I bought 50 domains last night. Some dropped and some new extensions.

I don't expect to sell them all. Just what I need to make my goals for this part of my business life. I don't need to ever see a profit and I could buy 100 domains every day for the next 10 years and it won't effect my economy. I own businesses Johnny. You should try it yourself.

You have to speculate to accumulate.

Wake up. Kick ass. Repeat.

Last edited:
•••
Because you sounds like a programmer, getting all the technical details right but without common sense, if domaining is part art and part science you have missed all of the "art". Good luck with your new tlds.

In your imagined world, you are the only one who has common sense. But in the reality, you are completely nonsense.

This thread is focusing on the science part of domaining, then of course I mentioned the science part. You did not give any comments on the art part too. What's more, fundamental analysis considers the public's views on the art part of a domain as well.

The science part dominates in domaining. Art is subjective and varies by individuals. No right or wrong answers in art. Self view of art is nothing when investing in domains.

Why are you reversing the question? Have you sold any names?

You said I am not qualified, then of course you say yours to show you are qualified. Applying your (false) logic to you: why I need to listen to your advices and requests if you have no sales and are not qualified.

•••
I can see that you lack business, sales and marketing skills Johnny...

Also accounting, finance, investment, statistics, logical thinking skills and many more. Simply speaking, Johnnie lacks all skills.

Last edited:
•••
right from the talk-up of .net as a ready made replacement for dot com in the early 2000's .
Am I wrong on history? I had thought .net was created Jan 1, 1985 and is as old as .com and there was even a time in early times where .net had more registrations than .com.

•••
Am I wrong on history? I had thought .net was created Jan 1, 1985 and is as old as .com and there was even a time in early times where .net had more registrations than .com.

It's interesting searching on that reading the RFC 920 - https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc920

talking about them back in October 1984:

Initial Set of Top Level Domains

The initial top level domain names are:

Temporary

ARPA = The current ARPA-Internet hosts.

Categories
GOV = Government, any government related domains meeting the
second level requirements.
EDU = Education, any education related domains meeting the
COM = Commercial, any commercial related domains meeting the
MIL = Military, any military related domains meeting the
ORG = Organization, any other domains meeting the second
level requirements.

-------------
Wondering if there is just a basic chart somewhere, domain counts from the beginning. Historical chart to compare them all.

•••
Thank you @JB Lions for that.

I think I recall reading that .net was not listed in the circular but was introduced with rest. Here is a page that gives the oldest domains in each extension.
https://www.cambus.net/oldest-domains-in-the-com-net-and-org-tlds/

It seems to show more .com but I seem to recall reading once that for awhile .net had more registrations. The site or my memory may be wrong though.

Bob

Last edited:
•••
Almost 5 years elapsed - still the same discussions...
Money is everywhere... Legacy or last wave TLDs - doesn't matter if your domains are decent in terms of quality and your portfolio is not microscopic like 50 domains.

•••
It's interesting searching on that reading the RFC 920 - https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc920

talking about them back in October 1984:
What an interesting read, thanks.
At their core, domains were always meant to be responsibly managed, no such thing as TM rights yet.

Little did they know, their sub-domain example
For example, a host "XYZ" at MIT might possible be considered as a
candidate for becoming any of XYZ.ARPA.ORG, XYZ.CSNET, or
XYZ.MIT.EDU.

The owner of host XYZ may choose which domain to join,
depending on which domain administrators are willing to have
him.
would come to life as a top-level domain 30 years later.

It seemed a time in the mid to late 90s, only techies were on to domains. And of course those recognizing a massive investment opportunity. Then by mid 2000s the world knew .com. I don't think there was much if any TV advertising for domains themselves, but people just started recognizing and associating the www to an online presence, when seen on commercials or newspaper ads.

I don't know that the legacy extensions needed much help in the way of mainstream TV advertising then, as we're looking for now with the new G's. There were few choices in extensions for an online presence. But when adoption is not expected nor rushed, the results may surprise us.

A couple more interesting references from NP re oldest names. Even older than 1985, Kate points out.

https://www.namepros.com/threads/27-year-old-domain-from-1980-wtf.326897/
https://www.namepros.com/threads/oldest-recorded-domain-names.327649/

•••
not Go Daddy

GOD addy

Dynamite websites need to be built using new generic extensions.

They need Great Promo, and they need to go Viral.

I got lotsa ideas...

•••
Also accounting, finance, investment, statistics, logical thinking skills and many more. Simply speaking, Johnnie lacks all skills.

From what I have been told by a well known member you have never sold a domain?

•••
•••
Last edited:
•••
Money is everywhere... Legacy or last wave TLDs - doesn't matter if your domains are decent in terms of quality
^^^ THIS @Jurgen Wolf has concisely spoken the truth for what gets argued in so many threads (and has 10+ years in domaining to back up personally what he says). The people with quality can make money in many different niches. The domainers without quality can lose money in many different ways too. Thanks.

•••
^^^ THIS @Jurgen Wolf has concisely spoken the truth for what gets argued in so many threads (and has 10+ years in domaining to back up personally what he says). The people with quality can make money in many different niches. The domainers without quality can lose money in many different ways too. Thanks.

Show who is making money in new tld? More new tld propaganda from @Bob Hawkes

Let talk about actual sales, not Tony Robbins nonsense that has no basis in truth!

@illumy

•••
For the 3rd time in 6 months, watching the ol' tee-vee and wouldn't you know, on comes a Go Daddy commercial, with surprise surprise, promoting .guesswhatyesdot-com

I have yet to see another registrar or registry produce something like this for new G's, or anything for that matter.
I swear they are following me now. In my work vehicle, I get plenty of time to listen to radio en route to jobs. Last week, what comes on? A promotion to support a local hockey club. But the advertisement was directly from, yep you guessed it, The Registrar who is the only registrar doing anything anywhere to get their name out there, via traditional channels.

You know what, good on them. Although it wasn't exactly an ad for domain names, the fact is, what does it cost to have a 30 second promo on talk radio? Tens or hundreds of thousands of listeners who are now associating a domain name registrar with good causes. Would have been a good time for them to promote the .hockey extension, lol.

•••
A lot of domainer don't know how to promote. They hoard and squat and wait, like a boa. JK.

•••
It is interesting that in the time since this thread started I have now seen two GD commercials on cable TV, one from an American channel promoted .com of course, but interestingly the one on a Canadian station promoted .ca.

Bob

•••
Just finishing up the March 2019 full new gTLD web usage survey. The usage on some NGTs is absolutely terrifying. The LOAN is one of the worst. The Active/unclassified number is 894 sites with 600 HTTPS redirect sites. The number of adult content affiliates is 541,565 sites. Surprisingly, there are some on-topic websites in the gTLD. There are others that are not quite so bad but there is a geography to usage.

Regards...jmcc

Last edited:
•••
I guess it would be like .xyz, when there are huge reg promo's, there is going to be little to no development. Geography to usage, interesting. Would be valuable to see a reference chart of sorts on that, for sure. For example, most of my .one sales have been to German buyers..

Thanks for the info. 500k adult affiliate sites via .loan, lol. Man, no matter how much money we need, there's always room to go "play"..

•••
I guess it would be like .xyz, when
@jmcc can hopefully confirm, but everything I have seen shows .xyz doing better than most of the new gTLDs with respect to actual use. I realize the numbers are small compared to (most) legacy but I think large compared to most new gTLDs. Just saying we should not pick on .xyz, as much as I agree that they were very unwise to do the super deep discounting a few years ago (and still to some degree in year one).

Using NameStat data .xyz have just over 2200 sites in Alexa 1M, or put another way 1 for every 922 registrations. On the other hand .loan has (NameStat info again) 4 sites in Alexa 1M even though they have a similar number of registrations!

So it is no wonder @jmcc found so little meaningful .loan use in his sophisticated analysis, since even the more simple-minded Alexa 1M shows that the .loan extension is not finding any real world use to speak of, and using the Google site search feature does indeed show that much of it is adult in nature, what little there is.

Bob

•••
I never regged .loan and dropped all 150+ .xyz

•••
I guess it would be like .xyz, when there are huge reg promo's, there is going to be little to no development.
XYZ has development and it is much better than LOAN. Discounting causes problems but with XYZ, it is a generic TLD whereas the others are mainly name hack TLDs.

Geography to usage, interesting. Would be valuable to see a reference chart of sorts on that, for sure. For example, most of my .one sales have been to German buyers..
All gTLDs have a kind of geography. It would be possible to build a kind of geographical map for each NGT as some of them are highly regionalised.

Thanks for the info. 500k adult affiliate sites via .loan, lol. Man, no matter how much money we need, there's always room to go "play"..
And most of them are Chinese targeted sites. :) The US ones tend to be adult dating affliates. Affiliates in NGTs are typically adult affiliates and gambling affiliates. Gambling is seriously big business in the Chinese NGTs.

Regards...jmcc

•••
Just saying we should not pick on .xyz, as much as I agree that they were very unwise to do the super deep discounting a few years ago (and still to some degree in year one).
Of all the NGTs using discounting, the XYZ registry are doing it well. It may not add to the quality of the registrations but it is purely a cynical numbers game in that some of them will renew. Because of the generic nature of the string and the low cost of registration, it does seem to be attractive for people who don't want to spend money on a good .COM or .ccTLD.

There is usage in .LOAN but is is completely swamped by the discounted registrations. Alexa's list isn't a reliable indicator of a TLD's quality or usage.

Regards...jmcc

•••
Yes, there are tons of spam/malware domains in Alexa... they don't filter them.

•••
Has anyone seen registries do some interesting promos or advertisements lately ? :)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back