Dynadot

warning PSA: Do not transfer to Sav

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Sam1234

Top Member
Impact
3 or more of my most valuable domains were transferred to Sav. Even though the WHOIS shows they are now at Sav, and Sav shows the transfers as completed, they are not in my account. The technical aspects of this are not so complicated for a registrar, and there is no excuse for this. I am sure I am not the first person who has reported this, and that Sav has had plenty of opportunity to fix the automated aspects of their transfer process, yet my domains are missing. So I can only reasonably conclude that Sav is deliberately failing to put domains into people's accounts in the hope that they will overlook it and fail to renew them. Not everyone is so well-organized as the average domainer, to notice this. I only noticed it because I was auditing my domains.

I don't know how they will respond to my support inquiries, but I am encouraging people to avoid Sav at all costs, because there is really no excuse for this. I decided not to wait for their stupid reply before posting this, because I don't trust them.

When I got into domaining 5 years ago, I never encountered this issue. Now all of a sudden all of these shady ass registrars are making these weird "mistakes" that screw over the domain owners and allow the registrars to steal the domains. In this climate no registrar should be given the benefit of the doubt. I suspect Sav is probably owned by the same shady assholes who own Epik, which has also recently started screwing people over. So I suggest that you not transfer anything to Sav, and keep a VERY close eye on any domains you have there in case they disappear.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Sorry to hear it my friend. Names can't vanish though. They will show up shortly in sac or back from where you transferred.

•••
Sorry to hear it my friend. Names can't vanish though. They will show up shortly in sac or back from where you transferred.
I know they're at Sav, pretty sure 2 of them were in my account previously when I audited it a couple weeks ago. When I transferred at least one of the domains recently I made sure it was in the account before noting it on the spreadsheet. Some people probably don't keep spreadsheets and stuff to track all of their domains, so if they look at their domain list in Sav and a domain is missing then they might not know they have a domain to renew. Domain expires, and Sav puts it to market. Or perhaps you go to renew on the last day and the domain is missing, and there's no time to sort it out. Is how I'm looking at this.

Last edited:
•••
3 or more of my most valuable domains were transferred to Sav. Even though the WHOIS shows they are now at Sav, and Sav shows the transfers as completed, they are not in my account.

Did you check lookup.icann.org?

Last edited:
•••
Did you check lookup/icann.org?
It says the names are at SAV but for some reason nameservers show Afternic. Does this mean Sav is now selling my domains on Afternic?

•••
It says the names are at SAV but for some reason nameservers show Afternic. Does this mean Sav is now selling my domains on Afternic?
Not sure. Let's see if the pros weigh in here. So you didn't have them at Afternic before the transfer? If not, definitely sounds curious.

•••
Not sure. Let's see if the pros weigh in here. So you didn't have them at Afternic before the transfer? If not, definitely sounds curious.
Someone else might have. I see these domains on Afternic. I'm calling Afternic but it seems like Sav/Afternic are the same entity so I expect the same BS Sav gives me when I try to get help.

•••
•••
•••
Not saying you're wrong, but how do you know?
Afternic isn't a registrar, only a sales platform affiliated with GoDaddy. Sav is a competing registrar and marketplace comparable to GoDaddy.

Last edited:
•••
Afternic isn't a registrar, only a sales platform affiliated with GoDaddy. Sav is a competing registrar and marketplace.
A lot of registrars/domaining websites are owned by the same people. I don't have details/examples handy but I've seen posts about some registrars or domain marketplaces buying others to catch the names that drop. I wouldn't be surprised if most registrars at this point were all owned by the same people.

Last edited:
•••
You have to contact @Nick R at NP. SAV is a good registrar, but some of staff can't solve any issue, I always contact the owner through Linked.in or Nick R at Name Pross, and always got a good support.

@Nick R , are you still in SAV, you have to support this issue...

Last edited:
•••
Not saying you're wrong, but how do you know?
That is easy to find out......Godaddy is a publicly traded company so you can easily find a list of their subsidiaries, brands and acquisitions

•••
About 2 weeks ago, I experienced a similar issue. Transferred some domains to SAV, and one of them didn’t land in my account even though WHOIS records showed it was at SAV. Took SAV about 4 or 5 days to resolve this, but it did get resolved (screenshot).

Flipside: Recently purchased a domain from the aftermarket. The seller's registrar was SAV, but I wanted the domain elsewhere. There was also some kind of technical issue at SAV that delayed the transfer-out process.

Some registrars are far better than others, but you can’t rule out the possibility of any of them having technical issues—even with “uncomplicated” processes. Annoying as it can be, we have to make reasonable allowance for this in some cases.

In your case, I’d suggest you wait to hear back from SAV. If they don’t get back to you within a few days or they refuse to fix this, then raise as much dust as you need to or go after them legally.

P.S: I can confirm that Epik has also been having issues (I currently have a pending case of failed domain registration/outstanding refund with them, etc.). But, as far as I know, Epik and SAV are separately owned.

Screenshot 2022-10-10.png

•••
We read hundreds of complaints against Sav.com on NamePros, but Staff from Sav.com here, not care to reply to any complaints. Who is the ultimate authority with whom we can lodge a complaint? Is there anybody who is monitoring the Registrars? We just cannot be fooled by these crooks.

•••
I had issues more serious than yours with SAV and Onamae but I did not come here to cry about it.
You even did not give them a chance to reply through ticket.
All my issues were resolved through tickets I never opened topics like this.
It's like NP's is your mummy that must change your diapers in every issue you may have with registrars.

•••
You should really provide a detailed timeline so that people can have a better understanding of the situation.
When did you transfer the domains?
How many domains did you move to Sav?
How many of those are missing from your account?
When did you notice the domains were missing?
Did you contact support immediately?
How long did you wait for a reply?
How long have you been using Sav?

If you've been with Sav a long time and have never experienced something like this, it could just be some isolated technical issue, no registrar is completely shielded from these.

•••
That is easy to find out......Godaddy is a publicly traded company so you can easily find a list of their subsidiaries, brands and acquisitions
Obviously this is a poor way of "finding out", since if I own GoDaddy and I buy Sav, Godaddy does not now own Sav.

In this case the Afternic listing was from the previous owner's Godaddy account.

•••
I had issues more serious than yours with SAV and Onamae but I did not come here to cry about it.
You even did not give them a chance to reply through ticket.
All my issues were resolved through tickets I never opened topics like this.
It's like NP's is your mummy that must change your diapers in every issue you may have with registrars.
If your names didn't suck, maybe you would have acted differently. WTF does "smoke a weed" mean?

•••
Obviously this is a poor way of "finding out", since if I own GoDaddy and I buy Sav, Godaddy does not now own Sav.

In this case the Afternic listing was from the previous owner's Godaddy account.
Re read that part in bold - Really?.......In your example Godaddy buys SAV but does own SAV

If company "A" buys company "B" they now own that company - unless they buy a minority stake for example.....

They can keep the original brand, change the brand to their company or rebrand it as they see fit, but they still would own it.....

If a publicly traded company buys an asset they have to report it.....so yes it is obviously a good way of "finding out" unless you are a lazy *****

I was not responding to your Afternic/Godaddy account status and made no mention of it.....

•••
Re read that part in bold - Really?.......In your example Godaddy buys SAV but does own SAV

If company "A" buys company "B" they now own that company - unless they buy a minority stake for example.....

They can keep the original brand, change the brand to their company or rebrand it as they see fit, but they still would own it.....

If a publicly traded company buys an asset they have to report it.....so yes it is obviously a good way of "finding out" unless you are a lazy *****

I was not responding to your Afternic/Godaddy account status and made no mention of it.....
I got mixed up but the point is the same. A person can own two business and neither business has to own the other.

Last edited:
•••
I got mixed up but the point is the same. A person can own two business and neither business has to own the other.
I don't waste my time with fools and I didn't give you those downvotes - will leave you to your own devices/delusions.....

GL - hope you sort the SAV issues out....

Last edited:
•••
@Sam1234 You also mentioned that the domains were not in your Sav account. Are they now?

•••
@Sam1234 You also mentioned that the domains were not in your Sav account. Are they now?
They are not. I want to mention that I overreacted, and I have asked the mods to change the post title and move this to another forum. That said, these domains are my most valuable and I'm pretty sure I saw them all in my account since I transferred from Epik because I felt they weren't safe there. So right now I'm exceptionally upset over the inability to get help from Sav on the weekend, and the sleepless night I just had as a result. Someone else mentioned they transferred a domain a couple weeks ago and it never showed up until they contacted support. I had the same experience a few weeks ago but this case seems different. I have experience in the IT field and IMO any such issue like that should never be allowed to persist for so long (like, not more than a day). Sav has a high volume of transfers and it sounds like this is a common issue. It doesn't seem like they are really trying to resolve it. A lot of domain stuff is time sensitive and IMO it seems odd that there is over a 48 hour period during which Support cannot be provided, given the nature of the business. I do plan to transfer out and ditch Sav regardless of the result of this.

Last edited:
•••
I have transferred many (well from my small portfolio perspective :xf.grin:) names to Sav.

I did have a few cases where they showed to be at Sav but not in my account. I reported it to service, and within a day or two everything was in my account.

I am not sure why this sometimes happens. I think certain TLDs are more likely to have issues, but I might be wrong.

They will respond to your ticket, just not instantly, and I have confidence they will show up in your account. I know it is nerve wracking when a top name that is in limbo though.

The DNS settings supposedly should be what you had them set to previously. Was that Afternic? If so all is good on that front.

Bob

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back