Dynadot
Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

AbdulBasit.com

DomainsWeb.comTop Member
AbdulBasit.com
Impact
Hello everyone,

As of today I’ve just reached the portfolio of 8,000 domains. This is something very special because all of my domains are very selectively acquired with no hand registrations.

Today I wanted to share some of the pros and cons of domaining I’ve witnessed and can recall as of now. I’m sure there are many more which you would like to add.

Before I share the pros/cons, I would like to inform all my readers and friends that recently I’ve relocated to Turkey with my family. I’m sure some of you know that I moved and lived in beautiful Malaysia for two years and enjoyed every moment there. But due to some reasons, I had to move back to Pakistan temporarily before I moved to Turkey. If there is anyone residing in Turkey, feel free to get in touch with me as I would love to connect with like-minded people and possibly meet in-person as well.

Coming back to the post, let me share some of the pros of domaining:

1. You can work from anywhere and anytime and do anything you want in your spare time.
  2. You’re your own boss.
  3. The ROI is remarkable and unachievable compared to most if not all existing businesses.
  4. Entry barrier is still low.
  5. Domain renewal cost is very low compared to physical property or any other business expenses.
  6. Have your virtual store open 24 hours no matter what.

Cons of domaining:

1. The biggest disadvantage I find is the illiquidity. You never know when the domain will sell.
  2. There is no accurate way to evaluate domains. You learn with your own and other’s experience, past relevant sales, etc.
  3. Fierce competition than ever before.
  4. 5-10 domains won’t start your business engine. One must buy a few hundred if the target is to do full time domaining.

Feel free to share any other pros and/or cons you would like to add. Also if someone is living in Turkey and would like to connect with me, just get in touch.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Thank you, brother,
You've always been one of the best investors,
You are my goal of study,
I'd like to hear your list of all the high price sales in 2022,
The most important thing is how to make these domain names expensive:glasses::glasses::glasses::glasses::glasses::glasses:

It has always been nice doing business with you and I hope to do more in the future as well🤗
You own plenty of great domains. It's mainly about having patience once you've acquired the great domain. List at all major marketplaces with the BIN price and simply wait for the right buyer to knock the door (y)

•••
In the process of waiting, I think I need more good luck,
Another question is how do you set the price for each domain name?
Will the total sales of your domain name exceed seven figures in 2022?

•••
•••
There are a lot of Peaks and Valleys in domaining , the highs can be very high , and the lows very low , the psychological equation can get demanding on one’s brain . Staying well grounded is of most importance. I cherish the friends I have made in industry , taking the enjoyment and balancing it with the disappointment has always been a factor to keeping myself well grounded.

You keep doing what you do @AbdulBasit.com , you’re outstanding , and that is what I love to see!! Take it all in and enjoy it !

Last edited:
•••
Hi Abdul

Congrats on your milestone!
8000 domains is 4 times more than i ever owned :)

imo...
A lot of work.

I remember the times when I had 25k names. It was mayhem.

Now I proudly manage 5500 and I'd rather get down to 2K, than you very much.

Edit: Actually on track with that, everything I have (to clear) gets sold at clearance lately, not many leftovers if any.

@AbdulBasit.com , may I ask, do you manage your 8k portfolio yourself? Or have some hired people?

Last edited:
•••
Congrats for your achievements and thank you for all the experiences you share.
I agree with most of the Pros and Cons discussed here.
For me, one best part of domaining is the that you learn a lot about various industries/subjects/cultures which is in turn really beneficial in elevating your outlook towards life. I learned so much about this world in last two years than what I learned in my college.
One point which worries me is the negative perception about our industry among others.
Another minor worry is - this industry is vulnerable to the policies put forth by ICANN and other powerful bodies (issues like GDPR)

•••
Pros

Money

Cons

When is this thing going to sell???

•••
hand reg and resell for $$$$-Eeasy peasy money making hobby
stress free

•••
There are a lot of Peaks and Valleys in domaining , the highs can be very high , and the lows very low , the psychological equation can get demanding on one’s brain . Staying well grounded is of most importance. I cherish the friends I have made in industry , taking the enjoyment and balancing it with the disappointment has always been a factor to keeping myself well grounded.

You keep doing what you do @AbdulBasit.com , you’re outstanding , and that is what I love to see!! Take it all in and enjoy it !

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and sharing your experience :happy:👍
Also I appreciate your kind words 🤗

•••
A lot of work.

I remember the times when I had 25k names. It was mayhem.

Now I proudly manage 5500 and I'd rather get down to 2K, than you very much.

Edit: Actually on track with that, everything I have (to clear) gets sold at clearance lately, not many leftovers if any.

@AbdulBasit.com , may I ask, do you manage your 8k portfolio yourself? Or have some hired people?

I can understand how it would be difficult to manage 25K names you did at one stage. Definitely hectic and time consuming.

I've my wife working along with me who has been supportive right from the start. Divides the workload between us.

•••
Congrats for your achievements and thank you for all the experiences you share.
I agree with most of the Pros and Cons discussed here.
For me, one best part of domaining is the that you learn a lot about various industries/subjects/cultures which is in turn really beneficial in elevating your outlook towards life. I learned so much about this world in last two years than what I learned in my college.
One point which worries me is the negative perception about our industry among others.
Another minor worry is - this industry is vulnerable to the policies put forth by ICANN and other powerful bodies (issues like GDPR)

Thank you 🤗
I agree with your points and thanks for sharing them 👍

•••
•••
Really awesome @AbdulBasit.com , I still focus on parking and try to increase earning with minimum cost. I compare domaining with bank deposit rate . Buy some domain , let's say $100 , and I park and earn $800/ years / domains isn't bad when we compare to bank deposit rates model to get $800/years.

Cons : Sometimes I can't price the domain, have no standard to ensure it set properly. Based your personal experience .. how do you price your domains and what's the main factor to price any domain at $xxxx or $xx,xxx?

Thank you and congrats on your moving to Turkey.

•••
Thanks for the wealth of information that you always provide. I read the article on your website, and was surprised to learn about the Afternic listings appearing automatically on GoDaddy auctions. The price change issue was a useful tip as well, where it is best not to make the changes once posted.
Good luck in Turkey, and keep up the great work!

•••
Really awesome @AbdulBasit.com , I still focus on parking and try to increase earning with minimum cost. I compare domaining with bank deposit rate . Buy some domain , let's say $100 , and I park and earn $800/ years / domains isn't bad when we compare to bank deposit rates model to get $800/years.

Cons : Sometimes I can't price the domain, have no standard to ensure it set properly. Based your personal experience .. how do you price your domains and what's the main factor to price any domain at $xxxx or $xx,xxx?

Thank you and congrats on your moving to Turkey.

That's impressive if you're buying a domain for $100 and making $800 a year from that via parking. How viable is this model?

You may want to see this - https://www.abdulbasit.com/domain-monetization/how-do-i-valuate-domains-and-set-an-asking-price - We can learn from our own and other's experiences as well. As there is definitely no fixed parameter to set your asking price.

Thank you!

•••
Thanks for the wealth of information that you always provide. I read the article on your website, and was surprised to learn about the Afternic listings appearing automatically on GoDaddy auctions. The price change issue was a useful tip as well, where it is best not to make the changes once posted.
Good luck in Turkey, and keep up the great work!

Glad you like it and that's the purpose of sharing. Although it's a small community but there are some great people sharing great stuff and I've myself learned a lot from it.

Thank you!

•••
Congrats on reaching 8k domains firstly.
What's interesting is that you believe the buyer's idea for the domain must match whatever price you set, when domaining wisdom states the price is whatever the buyer is willing to pay.

You manage to make this philosophy work well for you, while others would struggle.

•••
Congrats on reaching 8k domains firstly.
What's interesting is that you believe the buyer's idea for the domain must match whatever price you set, when domaining wisdom states the price is whatever the buyer is willing to pay.

You manage to make this philosophy work well for you, while others would struggle.

Many thanks! 🤗

It's a continuous learning process and whenever there is something new to learn, that makes my day even better :happy:

•••
Thanks for the insightful content Abdul Ji, Also congrats on hitting 8K domains :)

•••
There are a lot more cons. Eg nothing will happen it is all about amount of work.

•••
Thanks for the insightful content Abdul Ji, Also congrats on hitting 8K domains :)

Thank you very much and happy to know you liked it :happy:

•••
There are a lot more cons. Eg nothing will happen it is all about amount of work.

That can be applied in every business. Nothing will happen if no amount of right work in the right direction is being done.

•••
Thanks.
One of the devastation in the print on demand industry is TRADEMARKS. You trespas on some popular trademarks, you most probably will lose your account.
And it is really hard to find any non trademarked phrase.

But how are trademarks dealt with in the domain industry??
I received one warning in my Afternic account and I immediately removed the domain. Other than that I haven't faced any other issue.

•••
Thanks.
One of the devastation in the print on demand industry is TRADEMARKS. You trespas on some popular trademarks, you most probably will lose your account.
And it is really hard to find any non trademarked phrase.

But how are trademarks dealt with in the domain industry??
I received one warning in my Afternic account and I immediately removed the domain. Other than that I haven't faced any other issue.

That definitely is a negative point - trademark holders filing ridiculous UDRPs against our domains which even if the respondent successfully defends it with RDNH finding, there is no benefit other than keeping the domain back. There has to be some monetary fines to the complainants which will discourage them to file frivolous UDRPs.

Thanks for sharing your views and I appreciate it.

•••
I wonder why any name sells for >5k if you are somebody and nothing sells (even top names) if you are nobody.

•••
Back