IT.COM
NameSilo
Watch

AbdulBasit.com

DomainsWeb.comTop Member
AbdulBasit.com
Impact
Hello everyone,

As of today I’ve just reached the portfolio of 8,000 domains. This is something very special because all of my domains are very selectively acquired with no hand registrations.

Today I wanted to share some of the pros and cons of domaining I’ve witnessed and can recall as of now. I’m sure there are many more which you would like to add.

Before I share the pros/cons, I would like to inform all my readers and friends that recently I’ve relocated to Turkey with my family. I’m sure some of you know that I moved and lived in beautiful Malaysia for two years and enjoyed every moment there. But due to some reasons, I had to move back to Pakistan temporarily before I moved to Turkey. If there is anyone residing in Turkey, feel free to get in touch with me as I would love to connect with like-minded people and possibly meet in-person as well.

Coming back to the post, let me share some of the pros of domaining:

1. You can work from anywhere and anytime and do anything you want in your spare time.
  2. You’re your own boss.
  3. The ROI is remarkable and unachievable compared to most if not all existing businesses.
  4. Entry barrier is still low.
  5. Domain renewal cost is very low compared to physical property or any other business expenses.
  6. Have your virtual store open 24 hours no matter what.

Cons of domaining:

1. The biggest disadvantage I find is the illiquidity. You never know when the domain will sell.
  2. There is no accurate way to evaluate domains. You learn with your own and other’s experience, past relevant sales, etc.
  3. Fierce competition than ever before.
  4. 5-10 domains won’t start your business engine. One must buy a few hundred if the target is to do full time domaining.

Feel free to share any other pros and/or cons you would like to add. Also if someone is living in Turkey and would like to connect with me, just get in touch.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
You can work from anywhere and anytime and do anything you want in your spare time.
I'm not sure about this. Dropping domains auctions end at a certain time thus may be extremely inconvenient to attend depending on the timezone.

•••
I'm not sure about this. Dropping domains auctions end at a certain time thus may be extremely inconvenient to attend depending on the timezone.
Simple: give proxy bid.
That's what I do many times.

•••
Hello everyone,

As of today I’ve just reached the portfolio of 8,000 domains. This is something very special because all of my domains are very selectively acquired with no hand registrations.

Today I wanted to share some of the pros and cons of domaining I’ve witnessed and can recall as of now. I’m sure there are many more which you would like to add.

Before I share the pros/cons, I would like to inform all my readers and friends that recently I’ve relocated to Turkey with my family. I’m sure some of you know that I moved and lived in beautiful Malaysia for two years and enjoyed every moment there. But due to some reasons, I had to move back to Pakistan temporarily before I moved to Turkey. If there is anyone residing in Turkey, feel free to get in touch with me as I would love to connect with like-minded people and possibly meet in-person as well.

Coming back to the post, let me share some of the pros of domaining:

1. You can work from anywhere and anytime and do anything you want in your spare time.
  2. You’re your own boss.
  3. The ROI is remarkable and unachievable compared to most if not all existing businesses.
  4. Entry barrier is still low.
  5. Domain renewal cost is very low compared to physical property or any other business expenses.
  6. Have your virtual store open 24 hours no matter what.

Cons of domaining:

1. The biggest disadvantage I find is the illiquidity. You never know when the domain will sell.
  2. There is no accurate way to evaluate domains. You learn with your own and other’s experience, past relevant sales, etc.
  3. Fierce competition than ever before.
  4. 5-10 domains won’t start your business engine. One must buy a few hundred if the target is to do full time domaining.

Feel free to share any other pros and/or cons you would like to add. Also if someone is living in Turkey and would like to connect with me, just get in touch.
Much respect.

I've been following you and you really seem to know what you are doing.

Thanks for sharing what you gained through experience with the others.

Awesome mate.

•••
Much respect.

I've been following you and you really seem to know what you are doing.

Thanks for sharing what you gained through experience with the others.

Awesome mate.
Thanks for your kind words 🤗

•••
Congrats on this milestone @AbdulBasit.com . 100% agree with the bullet points you mentioned.

I would add to Pros :

- one of the few industries while you can make money while you sleep
- even with good available domains getting scarce there is still possibility to scale
- pretty simple business model
- theoretically no limit for potential revenue
- several different approach, strategies can possibly bring you success

Cons:

- repetitiveness ( grinding through thousands of names daily is not for everyone)
- difficulty to establish trust ( domainer to domainer and also domainer to end user ) due to lack of face-to-face interaction
- the learning curve until you start making money consistently can take up to month or sometimes years.
- constant changes - you need to adapt to new challenges very quickly in this business

Last edited:
•••
Congrats on this milestone @AbdulBasit.com . 100% agree with the bullet points you mentioned.

I would add for Pros :

- one of the few industries while you can make money while you sleep
- even with good available domains getting scarce there is still possibility to scale
- pretty simple business model
- theoretically no limit for potential revenue
- several different approach, strategies can possibly bring you success

Cons:

- repetitiveness ( grinding through thousands of names daily is not for everyone)
- difficulty to establish trust ( domainer to domainer and also domainer to end user ) due to lack of face-to-face interaction
- the learning curve until you start making money consistently can take up to month or sometimes years.
-constant changes - you need to adapt to new challenges very quickly in this business

Thank you! :happy:

Those are some great additional point and it's always nice to add something more to my knowledge.

•••
Congrats on the move I suppose? Hope you'll feel at home real soon and continue to share your experiences with the rest of us.

For me the biggest pro is the flexibility in working hours.

Biggest con, domains are always on my mind. Hard to escape the urge to look for opportunities when I know I should probably be taking some time off(line).

•••
Congrats on the milestone! That’s a pretty impressive number, especially with no hand regs.

One bonus I would add, if domaining is not a full-time venture, is that it can be a very passive income if you have a decent portfolio, and aren’t reliant on a steady income from it. Just letting your domains on the market and taking inquiries as they come, requires maybe a few hours of work a week.

•••
Great inputs. Thanks for sharing!

•••
Congrats on the move I suppose? Hope you'll feel at home real soon and continue to share your experiences with the rest of us.

For me the biggest pro is the flexibility in working hours.

Biggest con, domains are always on my mind. Hard to escape the urge to look for opportunities when I know I should probably be taking some time off(line).

Thank you! Yeah, so far it's all new and not familiar but with the passage of time, I'll get used to it.

Thanks for sharing your points and that's worth noting it. That biggest con is really an addiction :ROFL:

•••
Congrats on the milestone! That’s a pretty impressive number, especially with no hand regs.

One bonus I would add, if domaining is not a full-time venture, is that it can be a very passive income if you have a decent portfolio, and aren’t reliant on a steady income from it. Just letting your domains on the market and taking inquiries as they come, requires maybe a few hours of work a week.
Thank you! 🤗

Totally agree with you. Also to add in your point, one can start from there what you mentioned and there is potential to turn it into full time domaining as well.

•••
[*]5-10 domains won’t start your business engine. One must buy a few hundred if the target is to do full time domaining.

Yes, often people mention a low barrier of entry but to really get going, after market purchases and renewals fast add up, which especially newcomers need to take into consideration.

•••
Yes, often people mention a low barrier of entry but to really get going, after market purchases and renewals fast add up, which especially newcomers need to take into consideration.
It all depends on the selection criteria of the domains. For example, closeouts are the best way to start off with minimal amount and get going from there on...

•••
Hi Abdul

Congrats on your milestone!
8000 domains is 4 times more than i ever owned :)

for me,
one of the Pro's of domaining, has always been the interactions of people and personalities.
whether good or bad, they have given me insight to another person's thoughts who may live on the other side of the world.
the other Pro, is the money
at one time, cash was coming in so fast, it became scary -

i mean, from working a job where you're used to getting a check once a week or every other week,
to getting paid 4 > 6 times a day from sales and also earning ppc income while i slept after i found domaining.
Big freaking difference!

the Con's, is the bullshit
those who always trying to scheme or run game on others
the fake traffic sellers, the fake offer makers, the fan boys and all the fake phony wanna bee's who make claims of glory or success with no substantial evidence.

still, even the Con's are beneficial too, in that you can insight there as well and it all adds to the "experience" of being a domainer in the realm of domaining.

imo...

Last edited:
•••
Hi Abdul

Congrats on your milestone!
8000 domains is 4 times more than i ever owned :)

for me,
one of the Pro's of domaining, has always been the interactions of people and personalities.
whether good or bad, they have given me insight to another person's thoughts who may live on the other side of the world.
the other Pro, is the money
at one time, cash was coming in so fast, it became scary -

i mean, from working a job where you're used to getting a check once a week or every other week,
to getting paid 4 > 6 times a day from sales and also earning ppc income while i slept after i found domaining.
Big freaking difference!

the Con's, is the bullshit
those who always trying to scheme or run game on others
the fake traffic sellers, the fake offer makers, the fan boys and all the fake phony wanna bee's who make claims of glory or success with no substantial evidence.

still, even the Con's are beneficial too, in that you can insight there as well and it all adds to the "experience" of being a domainer in the realm of domaining.

imo...

Thanks very much for your feedback and sharing your valuable point :xf.love:

I highly value that plus point you mentioned of networking and interaction with fellow domainers. I've made some really gems of contacts who've been very helpful and done plenty of business together. Definitely a big pro point you added (y)

Also I agree with you on the con side, it's all about how we take it and whether we learn from the experience of others/ours or not. That can improve us if we want to improve.

•••
Hi Abdul,

Totally agree with your pros and cons. I can only add that domaining is a time-consuming activity, which is a pro and a con at the same time, imo ) Depending on how much you love it I guess, but also on lots of other factors - permanent and temporary.

Actually, another thing to add. I think you are both professional and a very adequate member of this forum - which is not quite common nowadays ) Many times it's either one or another (or none combined).

Thank you for your contribution. (y)(y)(y)

Last edited:
•••
Hi Abdul,

Totally agree with your pros and cons. I can only add that domaining is a time-consuming activity, which is a pro and a con at the same time, imo ) Depending on how much you love it I guess, but also on lots of other factors - permanent and temporary.

Actually, another thing to add. I think you are both professional and an a very adequate member of this forum - which is not quite common nowadays ) Many times it's either one or another (or none combined).

Thank you for your contribution. (y)(y)(y)
I agree with your point which can be put in both depending on how much one gives time in it. Sometimes it's fun and the other time it can be frustrating. Overall, it's a proper business for serious people having solid patience.

Thank you so much for your kind words Vadim 🤗 :xf.love:

This forum and it's members have given me a lot to learn, improve and make some great friends. I just try to share as much as I can 🙏

Last edited:
•••
Congrats on your milestone @AbdulBasit.com ! Many more to come for sure! And thanks for sharing your thoughts about domaining. (y)

•••
•••
You are an inspiration. When you express something, its worth giving a thought and implementing. Thank you for this thread. I will consider this as AMA. 🙏

•••
You are an inspiration. When you express something, its worth giving a thought and implementing. Thank you for this thread. I will consider this as AMA. 🙏

Thank you so much! That means a lot to me 🤗 🙏
I may soon do an AMA.

•••
Thanks for your post @AbdulBasit.com . I agree with a lot of it.

Have a few questions if you don't mind
1. What is your STR and average sale price for the year? Is it better than previous years?
2. What is your average acquisition price? Are you planning on increasing number of domains or do you think you will stop/slow down at some point?
3. Any niches you have seen that have really grown or have noticeably declined in domain sales in the past months/year?
4. Hope your move to a new country works out well. Pros/cons of the move so far?

•••
Thank you, brother,
You've always been one of the best investors,
You are my goal of study,
I'd like to hear your list of all the high price sales in 2022,
The most important thing is how to make these domain names expensive:glasses::glasses::glasses::glasses::glasses::glasses:

Last edited:
•••
Thanks for your post @AbdulBasit.com . I agree with a lot of it.

Have a few questions if you don't mind
1. What is your STR and average sale price for the year? Is it better than previous years?
2. What is your average acquisition price? Are you planning on increasing number of domains or do you think you will stop/slow down at some point?
3. Any niches you have seen that have really grown or have noticeably declined in domain sales in the past months/year?
4. Hope your move to a new country works out well. Pros/cons of the move so far?
Thanks Janoss!

1) It's been slightly less than 2% this year. In 2021, it was around 2.25% which was the best year in terms of STR and overall as well.

2) It's now around $400 average acquisition price. I'll slow it down as I've to prioritize some other things in my life. Not because I'm disappointed with anything, but there are other aspects of life to focus on and give more time to as well.

3) I invest in almost all niches and my portfolio is pretty much diversified so I don't see too many ups and downs in the sales. However, this year has been the worst in sales in the last many years considering the number of domains I've right now.

4) Pros - Everything is new which is exciting. New people, food, variety, good air quality considering where I'm coming from and many more yet to explore as the time passes by. Cons - So far the language barrier is a big problem.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back