IT.COM

domains Properties.com is now $125MM

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Just read a tweet from Rick Schwartz:
https://twitter.com/DomainKing
They laughed at me when I said #Domains were worth $15,000 back in 1996.
They laughed harder at $100,000
They belly laughed at $1MM They laughed til they peed at $10MM
They laugh until WE do it.
Properties. com is now $125MM
Please keep laughing!!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
People don't search for zillow, trulia, expedia, trivago, uber until these companies spend a fortune marketing the name.

Even though the average person looking for a home will not go to property.com, if you wanted to build a online real estate company and wanted to make it easier on yourself to market the domain and have people remember it, the domain property is one of the best options.

The better option will always be to have a name that is related to what you are doing. This is 2021 not 1999, competition is fierce, advertising is expensive, and startups that pick an available brandable or cheap brandable unrelated to what they do will have a lot harder time marketing wise than one that picks a name related to what they do, a real keyword, not renertly or hostingly or hosinger.

Real keyword domains will only get more expensive, everyone likes to hate them, domainers can't afford them, businesses in most cases can't afford them, people are jealous of the domain owner, and then domainers get into denial mode, you know the mode that makes you think that .king .io names are the next big thing and will destroy .com's in one more week.

The great news now is that startups have never had an easier time raising so much cash. A lot of them end up upgrading their names. LinkTree, ClubHouse etc always .com.

you are not getting it , these companies already tested the domain property.com !!

you are bringing every related/ unrelated reasons in the word to support your argument . People pay millions in marketing , people have billions in funds ...etc. all that is non sense !!! .

The arguments is not about having a domain or not as many domainers think so . The real question is , what the best next alternative , what is the next best domain . Remember, FACEBOOK.COM is two words domain name , so why paying millions for one word!!!!

Last edited:
•••
you are not getting it , these companies already tested the domain property.com !!

you are bringing every related/ unrelated reasons in the word to support your argument . People pay millions in marketing , people have billions in funds ...etc. all that is non sense !!! .

The arguments is not about having a domain or not as many domainers think so . The real question is , what the best next alternative , what is the next best domain . Remember, FACEBOOK.COM is two words domain name , so why paying millions for one word!!!!

Facebook paid $8.5 million to acquire FB.com in 2010.

https://www.namepros.com/blog/5-great-domain-names-owned-by-facebook.1038372/

Last edited:
•••

If you’re a real estate agent from New York that buys/sells in NY only then property/properties .com may not be that useful to you, you know the name is ‘overqualified’ for you. Local real estate companies are not the targeted client for these names.

But what if you plan to run a generic portal like zillow, Trulia but deals with all kinds of properties like real estate, vehicles, crypto, exotic items etc and you want to let everyone know that you deal with all kinds of properties under one roof? What name would be most suitable name for such a project?

I think we shall leave this to the imagination.

Last edited:
•••
Also,

People search for specific terms such as "apartments" , "villas" , "homes" + location . These are the real EMD

People DONT search for a "property" on earth ... This would work only if you are a UFO..:xf.smile:

If you owned the domain Rashed, what would be your opinion then?

If you had that domain in your portfolio, I would make a guess you would be on here right now telling everyone who will listen Property dot com is one of the best domains in the world and going to make you an extremely wealthy person.

I disagree, i personally do search for 'property' but given the choice i would probably take ForSale dot com (i've tried to buy that domain several times) over 'Property'.

But ‘Property’ is no doubt a juggernaut of a domain name in the housing industry, is it worth 9 figures, probably not but it’s a tier 1 domain name and multi-million asset.

Last edited:
•••
Remember, FACEBOOK.COM is two words domain name , so why paying millions for one word!!!!
You are asking a separate question and you refuse to really see what is happening every week.

You might as well ask, why would anyone get a name that means anything if google is the most visited site and the name means nothing unless you look up its meaning.

Every week especially this year you have a lot of big domain transactions for one and two word domains. People like you and many domainers are like you keep crying all over the forum about these transaction and how they make no sense.

You are just like the people that refuse to invest in stocks that make significant gain because to their limited knowledge it makes no sense. It's really a poor mans formula and I suggest you respect the realities and trends vs your angry / jealous irrational emotions.

Visit DNjournal and namebio and start screaming at all the buyers of 6 and 7 figure names, educate them, make sure to include a copy of your bank statement and a list of you business accomplishments, maybe their laughter will get them in the mood to buy a few more valuable domains, it will help us all.

•••
People DONT search for a "property" on earth ... This would work only if you are a UFO..:xf.smile:

Strange, because according to Estibot and Google people do indeed search for the keyword "property" unless aliens use our search engines.

Estibot.com:

property-estibot.png

Google Ads | Keyword Planner Tool:

googlekeywordproperty.png

•••
There are aliens among us, the people who just bought the house next door are green and their last name is Googlit.

:alien:

•••
Can l bid 100 usd? or l should laugh till l die.

•••
Facebook paid $8.5 million to acquire FB.com in 2010.

https://www.namepros.com/blog/5-great-domain-names-

The more sales records you bring to the table, the more you are misled. This is unrelated information.

It could be that company bought this because of the stock symbol FB. FB.com as a domain is not used.

I mentioned facebook.com an example of two words domain name which enough to take you to the top!!!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Domains are important but there is a bit of exaggeration among domainers.

Don't waste your time and money and don't believe corporations cant make a simple calculation. Choose one nice domain and develop it. that is enough ...!

Last edited:
•••
Strange, because according to Estibot and Google people do indeed search for the keyword "property" unless aliens use our search engines.

Estibot.com:

Show attachment 191563

Google Ads | Keyword Planner Tool:

Show attachment 191564

They dont !!! trust me . Double check with an SEO.

For case of real estate industray . %90+ of site visitors who seaechd using the keyword" property" are either spam or low-qualiy leads .

I just want you and other domainers to wake-up and look at other side . Every domain sale is a unique case which doesnt apply to most of us "domainers" . Things are different in real world.

Last edited:
•••
•••
Rashedx is right.

I predict Rick is taking both domains to his grave. Like Music, Realty has had it's a*s hammered out 15m X.

There is zero disruption. i.e. if you owned taxi.com, who would care? who wants to compete against 2* 800lb gorillas in Lyft and Uber + thousands more. Low margin business, like a restaurant. The smartest brains in the world want to focus on freakishly big ideas & problems.
Low Margin.JPG

Run the math, $125m valuation you have to assume the company acquiring the name is spending 10% of gross revenue. Rick can bank on "old money" or "crypto" money to be the saving grace.

Pre-seed the company needs to be valued at $1b+ then cut Rick % on the cap table. Personally, only "old money" would be interested in entertaining Rick with that deal. I hope it happens for him.

New money is virtually impossible at this point. How many Ycombinator entrepreneurs are starting businesses to "solve" property listings/marketplaces? Sweet FA

Peter (ZERO-TO-ONE) Theil isn't cutting anyone a cheque to compete in this market that's the real problem and nor is anybody else for that matter.

I suspect any ESG related domain-like Carbon.com will do the big numbers. The ship has sailed on these two names.

Domainers in general drink way too much Kool-Aid

Last edited:
•••
I want to add good luck to everybody on their journeys.

I've had one foot out the door for the last 1 and 1/2 years. *To be honest my foot was never in :)

Namaste

•••
Rashedx is right.

I predict Rick is taking both domains to his grave. Like Music, Realty has had it's a*s hammered out 15m X.

There is zero disruption. i.e. if you owned taxi.com Who would care, who wants to compete against 2 100lb gorillas in Lyft and Uber + thousands more. Low margin business, like a restaurant. The smartest brains in the world want to focus on freakishly big problems.

Run the math, $125m valuation you have to assume the company acquiring the name is spending 10% gross revenue. Rick can bank on "old money" or "crypto" money to be the saving grace.

Pre-seed the company needs to be valued at $1b+ then cut Rick % on the cap table. Personally, only "old money" would be interested in entertaining Rick with that deal. I hope it happens for him.

New money is virtually impossible at this point. How many Ycombinator entrepreneurs are starting businesses to "solve" property listings/marketplaces? Sweet FA

Peter (ZERO-TO-ONE) Theil isn't cutting anyone a cheque to compete in this market that's the real problem and nor is anybody else for that matter.

I suspect any ESG related domain-like Carbon.com will do the big numbers. The ship has sailed on these two names.

True, could be priced not to sell.

•••
True, could be priced not to sell.
My opinion doesn't matter. $$$$$ in the bank is the only way to keep score.

Even if somebody cut's him a cheque for $500m tomorrow for both names. Then what.......... Buy more domains?

download.jpg

Last edited:
•••
A lot of misleading information in the domaining industry.

let me point out some of them:

1- Companies got millions and millions and billions of dollars to spend on advertising. (Well this has nothing to do with your domain, I don't see a direct link ) . This is their hard-earned money and they will continue advertising !!..

2- Domain sales records .. (Very misleading). We don’t know the full story and reasons behind each sale.

Voice.com , Social.com , investing .com asset.com . They don't have anything in common except they get reported on dnjournal.com as single word domains but these are business more than names.

If a single word domain is sold for $33M. Well, There is no Cause and effect to your domains.

3- Comparing premium to Glts or to bad domain names !! .. This is also misleading !!!
Why comparing two extremes ??

Compare real businesses not names...:whistle:

Teamwork.com Vs Freshworks.com …. Does that ring a bell?:unsure: !!!! FreshworkS is leading the market in my opinion ...

LiveChat.com Vs Freshchat.com …… I personally will make a shift to Freshchat soon. Yes, livechat got my attention at first but not for so long ….

What to call this case? A Non-EMD Business O_o…!!

4- %90 of start-up fall. A domain name is not one of them unless you choose a very bad name !!!

Choose a nice domain name and work hard . Don't waste time !!!:xf.smile:

Last edited:
•••
A lot of misleading information in the domaining industry.

let me point out some of them:

1- Companies got millions and millions and billions of dollars to spend on advertising. (Well this has nothing to do with your domain, I don't see a direct link ) . This is their hard-earned money and they will continue to spend on advertising !!..

2- Domain sales records .. (Very misleading). We don’t know the full story and reasons behind each sale.

Voice.com , Social.com , investing .com asset.com . They don't have anything in common except they get reported on dnjournal.com as single word domains but these are business more than names.

If a single word domain is sold for $33M. Well, There is no Cause and effect to your domain, even if you have 10 single-word domain names. !!!

Reasons behind sales could be anything...! it could be a legitimate business or it could not be a legitimate one !!!

3- Comparing premium to Glts or to bad domain names !! .. This is also misleading !!!
Why comparing to extremes ??

Compare companies not names...:whistle:

Teamwork.com Vs Freshworks.com …. Does that ring a bell?:unsure: !!!! FreshworkS is leading the market in my opinion ...

LiveChat.com Vs Freshchat.com …… I personally will make a shift to Freshchat soon. Yes, livechat got my attention at first but not for long ….

What to call this case? A Non-EMD Business O_o…!!

4- %90 of start-up fall. A domain name is not one of them unless you choose a very bad name !!!

Work hard and don't waste time !!!:xf.smile:
You are really bad at this.

•••
Rashedx is right.

There is zero disruption. i.e. if you owned taxi.com, who would care? who wants to compete against 2* 800lb gorillas in Lyft and Uber + thousands more. Low margin business, like a restaurant. The smartest brains in the world want to focus on freakishly big ideas & problems.
Show attachment 192188

Run the math, $125m valuation you have to assume the company acquiring the name is spending 10% of gross revenue. Rick can bank on "old money" or "crypto" money to be the saving grace.

Here a relevant post by @Rick Schwartz today on LinkedIn:

"Do #startups and CEO's even realize they can get 1-word #Domains worth millions of dollars targeted to their sector with a lifetime of traffic and leads and put NO MONEY down??

They can grow into the lease as the company grows.

WTF is wrong with these people?? They lack many business skills. They will spend $10 million to advertise with less response and think nothing of it. Puff it's gone!

These folks today think SHORT TERM and they are in a LONG TERM business. Sad!"

•••
I found this by chance while researching something else:

Rick Schwartz, known on the Internet as the Domain King, purchased the domain PROPERTIES.COM at auction on Afternic.com, and utilizing the escrow facilities offered by DNEscrow (an affilliate of Afternic.com) paid $61,188.00 for the domain.

Three weeks after the domain was transferred to Schwartz, and without any notice to him, the domain was transferred back to its original owner by Network Solutions. Although he tried contacting Network Solutions, Register.com (the registrar of the domain and owner of Afternic.com) and DNEscrow, he was unable to get a response from anyone.

http://forum.icann.org/dnsoreview1/3ACBA0C300000034.html

•••
Greed is the foundation for corruption.

•••
With the new %15 global tax, there will be less millions and millions and millions to domainers !!!! :xf.smile:

Things will get back to normal .

•••
•••

The new announcement is not clear and not much details yet . I only understand that it is for shares that he believes it worth $36m !!! O_o NO CASH DEAL !! .

Yet . it looks like he finally changed his requirements.This deal is not for $125M price tag anymore . It is also not for $30M+ (cash + royalties) as previous announcement.

Who knows he could even paid out of his pocket to make this deal work !!:xf.laugh::xf.laugh:

Clearly market is going down!! :whistle: as this announcement is less attractive then previous one.

This doesn't interest me much as this domain is been under contract like 4-5 times and it been redirected to other sites like 20 times!!:bored: What we should care about is who is the new buyers and what is their plan?

At the end Congratulations .. Hope this would work this time !

Last edited:
•••
newyork.properties.com
london.properties.com
beijing.properties.com
california.properties.com
You get the point.
This gave me an excellent idea for rental.properties.

london.rental.properties
la.rental.properties
nyc.rental.properties

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back