IT.COM

Problems with 2 domain transfers where the gaining registrars keep saying the auth code is invalid even-though the loosing registrars had reissued it.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Allysin

Established Member
Impact
I am tying to transfer 2 domains:

1. Domain1 from HostGator --> to Dreamhost

and

2. Domain2 from Sav --> to One.com

In both instances, I am having the exact same problem = the gaining registrars keep saying that that the auth code is invalid:

"Heads up, Allysin!

Your domain registration transfer for domain1 was unsuccessful.

The reason: Canceled - Invalid EPP/authorization key - Please contact current registrar to obtain correct key."

and

"Hi Allysin,

I hope this email finds you well. I wanted to follow up on the transfer of your domain domain2 to one.com. I have received information from the Hostmasters that the Auth-ID code that was provided was invalid. As a result, the transfer was not successful.

To resolve this issue, I would kindly request that you obtain a new Auth-ID code from your current registrar. This will ensure a smooth transfer process for your domain to one.com."

I have reached out to both of the loosing registrars (Hostgator and Sav) multiple times and asked them to make sure both domains are unlocked and ready to transfer. I have obtained new auth codes from both and submitted to both new registrars (One.com and Dreamhost) but they keep sending me Emails back saying the auth code is invalid and I'm stuck in a circle!

The only problem I can think of is - I have requested this transfer before the expiration of the domain names but since it's been going round in circles for so long, the domains are now expired:

January 25th for domain1 and January 28th for domain2.

I believe this should not prevent the transfer from going through though?

What can I do? Is there an independent tool where I can try to enter the domain and the auth code for validation and then tell the gaining registrar to see it's valid there? Any other suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Good evening Allysin,

I know it kind of defeats the object, but are you able to renew the domain names at their current registrar? It doesn't solve your problem immediately but at least they will be safe.

Maybe others will have better solutions than I but I will keep my fingers crossed for you.

Rgrds,

Redd

•••
Make sure it's not a copy/paste issue.

Make sure to copy plain text, without formatting, same when you paste it at the gaining registrar.

•••
Make sure it's not a copy/paste issue.

Make sure to copy plain text, without formatting, same when you paste it at the gaining registrar.
Yeah - it's definitely not that. I even take a snip (screenshot) of it for them from the loosing registrar's portal and it's the exact same code there.

•••
Good evening Allysin,

I know it kind of defeats the object, but are you able to renew the domain names at their current registrar? It doesn't solve your problem immediately but at least they will be safe.

Maybe others will have better solutions than I but I will keep my fingers crossed for you.

Rgrds,

Redd
Hello Redd,

Thank you for your suggestion. It is my last resource solution but I'd rather do the transfer instead.

Have a nice evening,

Allysin

•••
Maybe the issue is not EPP code but something else, try disabling the WHOIS privacy temporary and see if it will proceed, some registrars require it to be off during transfers.
edit: did not read whole post, if they expired maybe this is the issue as suggested by Reddstagg member.

Last edited:
•••
It happened to me at Sav a few times, solved by – locking the domain again, waiting some time, then unlocking and re-requesting code again (so that its a different code). I recall the codes which were starting with the character @ would not work for me.

•••
Also, do both domains have the "active" status in WHOIS?
If there is a transfer lock, it will not allow it to be transferred

•••
What can I do? Is there an independent tool where I can try to enter the domain and the auth code for validation and then tell the gaining registrar to see it's valid there? Any other suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

I had this challenge trying to transfer some domains to Namecheap. It was so frustrating, after the second time of allegedly submitting the validation code, that I sent a screen shot along with the code to prove that that was what I was being given.

Hopefully, the expiration won't be an issue. You initiated the transfer before expiration, and presumably it was effectively "renewed" with your new registrar. Let your new registrar see the screen shot or whatever supporting evidence, and hopefully they can fix it. Namecheap really finally came through, getting the other registrar to finally release the domain to them after multiple tries.

As an added note, one time the problem was that, for some reason, quotes had appeared at the beginning and end of the authorization code when I copied it in a csv file. Double check if added punctuation before and after isn't the issue--but it sounds like that isn't the case.

Good luck with the transfer. I will say that Namecheap really did a great job with handling difficulties with registrars that seemed reluctant to transfer domains. Perhaps it's worth considering a change in registrar choices in the future, if these transfers don't work out.

Last edited:
•••
Thank you all for your suggestions.

As per the person on chat from HostGator:

"You can could have asked for EPP key change and request for new EPP key, But when the domain is expired it cannot be transfered to other host.
I totally understand, I really wish I could help you out here, but I will have to abide by our Terms of Service."

Please note this is in direct violation of ICANN rules:

My domain name has just expired. Can my registrar require me to pay for a renewal before I can transfer the domain name to a new registrar?

No. You have the right to transfer an expired domain. Registrars are not allowed to deny a transfer due to expiration or nonrenewal, (unless you haven't paid for a previous registration period).

More information in point 11 here:

https://www.icann.org/resources/pag...e right to,for a previous registration period

I ended up submitting a complaint to ICANN here:

https://icannportal.force.com/compliance/s/transfer

Now I just hope this will not create a backlash from HostGator as I have other domains with them as well.

•••
This has happened to me once, and the cause was an invalid auth code. The code didn't look anything like they normally do, and that's how I identified the cause of the problem.

•••
like @DrJacoby said, the code has added letters to it that should not be there probably some #

•••
I ended up submitting a complaint to ICANN here:

https://icannportal.force.com/compliance/s/transfer

Now I just hope this will not create a backlash from HostGator as I have other domains with them as well.
Good for you for speaking up.

With Namecheap, it was all the more puzzling why there was such great difficulty with certain registrar transfers. They have a system where you submit the authorization code and make certain that it is valid, even before the transfer is accepted by them for processing. So, despite authorizations codes being checked and confirmed as valid prior to the transfer, there were some great challenges removing some domains from the losing registrar.

They really were very diligent in followup and finally succeeding with extracting some coveted domains from the reluctant registrars. Some did require manual verification ultimately with the losing registrar, supposedly for added security reassurance for some high-value domains.

So, be reassured that some registrars do seem to know how to deal effectively with these problems

•••
Back