Dynadot

Problems logging into my Name Silo account

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Kuffy

Name StagTop Member
Impact
I've been with Name Silo for a few years now, and have been really pleased with their service and support. However, recently I have found it impossible to log into my account, and support seems to be unwilling to offer an acceptable solution. They have introduced a new 2 factor authorisation system which fails to provide access. It sends a six character code to my email address, but it doesn't recognise this when I enter it into the relevant box. The only way I can gain access is by contacting tech support, who open a two hour window, and hopefully I am on line when they send this email. The other solution is that I install an Authy app on my phone, and I don't want to do this, as Authy is know to harvest data from the installed device.

Has anyone else had this problem, and if so, how have they solved it? It seems that my only 2 options are to move to another registrar, or to purchase another mobile to run the authy app.or to purchase a dec I would like to stay with Name Silo if they can offer a way for me to access my account.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
come on man just do like 84848484884 other humans and install Google authenticator ..u not gonna be far in tech life living on conspiracies

•••
They didn't offer Google authenticator.
What's the conspiracy? Authy has been recorded as harvesting data, and I fail to understand why N/S insists that I do this.

•••
They didn't offer Google authenticator.
What's the conspiracy? Authy has been recorded as harvesting data, and I fail to understand why N/S insists that I do this.

bahahah tought u called Google authenticator authy... never heard it... I guess question remains why namesilo uses such seemingly known data harvester... wanna ask or something?

•••
Nobody should use authy, no doubts. In Namesilo case, as far as I remember, there is normal 2FA available which can also be used with opensource non-google software (and via authy for those who trust this system).

•••
Nobody should use authy, no doubts. In Namesilo case, as far as I remember, there is normal 2FA available which can also be used with opensource non-google software (and via authy for those who trust this system).

ok now I'm just curious and confused why nobody should use authy and yet a big reputable registrar does. @namesilo

•••
why nobody should use authy
Authy saves "secrets" (the pictures scanned) on their server. Should it be hacked someday - then the hacker would be able to generate somebody else's 2FA codes. NameSilo is using or recommending it? If so, it is a mistake. Again, if there is authy mistakenly recommended - then nobody is forced to use it. The protocol is the same as google authenticator, or opensoure alternatives, are using.

Last edited:
•••
if you dont want to add on your device, you can install NOX android emulator on you pc or laptop, and install 2fa there. (its basically a virtual box)

Last edited:
•••
well yes that's the point of this thread that op doesnt wanna use authy and ns uses it

•••
well if he just puts it in a vbox on pc, I dont see any danger, you can login move all of the domainname out to some other place, and then delete it.

•••
wow great support... not

@namesilo what's wrong u only answer easy questions u like and cant face music otherwise?

•••
I've been with Name Silo for a few years now, and have been really pleased with their service and support. However, recently I have found it impossible to log into my account, and support seems to be unwilling to offer an acceptable solution. They have introduced a new 2 factor authorisation system which fails to provide access. It sends a six character code to my email address, but it doesn't recognise this when I enter it into the relevant box. The only way I can gain access is by contacting tech support, who open a two hour window, and hopefully I am on line when they send this email. The other solution is that I install an Authy app on my phone, and I don't want to do this, as Authy is know to harvest data from the installed device.

Has anyone else had this problem, and if so, how have they solved it? It seems that my only 2 options are to move to another registrar, or to purchase another mobile to run the authy app.or to purchase a dec I would like to stay with Name Silo if they can offer a way for me to access my account.
To clarify, you can utilize any Authentication client for your 2FA with us, it doesn't need to be Authy specifically. We will also work to update our 2FA page to reflect this. To be candid, our team simply chose one of the larger clients out there, but it doesn't really matter to us which client you use so long as you have your 2FA enabled and your account secured.

wow great support... not

@namesilo what's wrong u only answer easy questions u like and cant face music otherwise?
Apologies for the delayed response on this - a few of us were away for the holiday weekend.

•••
I don't want to install any authorisation app. As far as I can see, they all harvest data, privide the possibilit of tracking if installed on a mobile phone.
It seems that @namesilo are insisting that I purchase a separate mobile device to enable me to access their account. I am prepared to do this, just to move ahead in this matter. However, it still wouldn't help, because the authorisation code sent in the email to my gmail box doesn't work. Without that error being fixed, the only option seems to be for me to beg their tech support to remove their broken 2FA system for a 2 hour slot to allow me access.
Come on Name Silo, if you want to stay in the top tier of registrars, you need to allow client to access their accounts. It seems that you are destroying one of the best registration services. Please get rid of whoever is implementing the 2FA system, and employ a professional to do the job. Better still, just copy what all the successful sites do.

•••
come on man google auth ok
...dont be a conspirationista.

•••
i CAN'T LOG INTO MY ACCOUNT TO SET UP AUTHORISATION EVEN IF i WANTED TO.
Ok, no more shouting. :)
Domain registration is incredibly important, why would anyone want to install apps with Google or Microsoft vulnerabilities in them,
What is the advantage of using an authorisation app anyway, it seems to me that all on is doing is installing a tracking device for no additional security, or possibly reduced security.

•••
@Kuffy you may be able to install the app on your desktop / laptop. Again, the code is open. It depends on your OS though. For linux (switching from windows is a good thing anyway!) there defintely are alternatives.

•••
Update.
I've purchased a new Huawei Matebook with rubbishy Windows software on it. I've been using Linux for a fewe years, and I didn't realise how bad Windows has become. I install an authoriser on this for the short term, and I'll evaluate the hardware options. I'll then replace Windows with a Linux variant.
I've got a lot going on imn my life at the moment, and I really could have done without these Name Silo problems. It just seems that everything is forcing people into compliance, censorship and monitoring. It's one of the reasons I support Bitcoin, and I have been living off grid. I won't accept their crippling covid injections and other "health" interventions to shorten my life, and make me dependent on big pharma. The same rejection applies to my use of computers, and associated networking.

•••
Further update.
I bought a new computer which is running under Windows at the moment. I'll switch to Linux in the future when I get the chance. I've had a go at logging on using WiFi at a friends house, and he has a cable connection. Name Silo sent me a new device authosation via emai, and that worked. The interesting thing is that the latest code was all numeric, and the previous codes were all lower case alpha. I can live with email autorisation when it works, but I will look at hardware 2FA dongles for future use.

So what could have caused the problem -
- Linux? I've been using linux exclusively for several years now, so I'm reluctant to accept that.
- Public WiFi? I've been using this for several years as well, and haven't encountered this problem before. However, supermarkets are messing around with their WiFi, and Morrisons are now blocking internet connections for laptops, but allowing them for mobiles, so this is a possibility.
- My old netbook? It really needs a reloading of the OS, and a hard disk cleanout, so I could accept that this was the reason.
- Name Silo secondary authorisation? I'm suspicious of the change in the code from alpha to numeric, and I would like some clarificationn of this. It could be that the code was the reult of some extra protection that @namesilo uses, and perhaps namesilo could comment on this.

It looks as if I am back to normal with the new Windows laptop. I love this laptop, as it has USB-C charging, so I will use this in future. Hopefully switching to Linux won't recreate the problem.

•••
I'll switch to Linux
A must thing for any new win laptop! SInce it is new, hardware may not be yet 100% supported, so something like MX Linux (mxlinux dot org), namely, its "ahs" release may be the only practical option:
an “Advanced Hardware Support” release for very recent hardware, with 6.0 kernel and newer graphics drivers and firmware. 64 bit only. Works for all users, but especially if you use AMD Ryzen, AMD Radeon RX graphics, or 9th/10th/11th generation Intel hardware.
It is based on debian - no stability issues expected.
As for 2FA, I think there is command-line linux tool to generate 6-digit codes... no phone necessary!

Last edited:
•••
It's a Matebook with an i5 proicessor. It's probably a 2021 model, and that is why it was cheap. Although they have just increased the price by £150. The hard drive is a 512Gb SSD, and I might take that out and install a 1 or 2 Tb drive for Linux. That way I can return to Windows should I want to, just by replacing the drive.

•••
- Name Silo secondary authorisation? I'm suspicious of the change in the code from alpha to numeric, and I would like some clarificationn of this. It could be that the code was the reult of some extra protection that @namesilo uses, and perhaps namesilo could comment on this.
Yes, confirming that the code will now be numeric to make it easier for users to receive these codes.

•••
I honestly preferred the old namesilo interface. Very reliable and performant.

•••

Hi. I know this thread is not fresh/new, but I recently encountered a similar problem where I would be logged out after just logging into NameSilo, and it was browser-related (probably due to an add-on). After a simple restart of Firefox, login worked. A similar problem occurred a while ago, where again, only a restart would help. Shows that browsers and their caches, add-ons, etc are oft the cause.

•••
Just an update on this as the thread was bumped. Name Silo support was prompt and helful in trying to resolve the isuue. I can't remember the cause of the problem, but we resolved it between us, and my account is now back to the same great service I have enjoyed for many years.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back