IT.COM

discuss Privacy Protected - Who actually owns your domain name?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

MapleDots

Account Closed (Requested)
Impact
bannertext-sm5.png

I found number #5 very interesting - MapleDots

5. Premium whois privacy services
Because your domain record is public for all to see, some registrars want to upsell you to “privacy services” or “whois masking”, “private registration”, where they put their own info in the whois record instead of yours.

The important thing to know here is that in the eyes of the domain Registry to which all the Registrars interact, and the Registry’s oversight body (like ICANN, or in Canada, CIRA), whoever is listed in the domain whois record as the domain Registrant is the legal owner of the domain name. Keep that in mind, if you use a service like this, they own the domain, not you, notwithstanding whatever contract or Terms of Service you enter into with them to “own” this name on your behalf. If it lands in a dispute proceeding it will be an open and shut case: they own the name.

Taking it one step further, some “privacy” services will get you to sign up for the whois privacy service and then they turn around and happily offer to sell your true data to anybody else who cares to pay for it.

Full article here:
https://www.easydns.com/10-things-to-know-before-you-register

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I never gave this any thought before.

Does not affect me because I don't use privacy but definitely a hmmmmm moment.

Last edited:
•••
Does this means I can register .ca with the privacy guard :xf.grin:

•••
Does this means I can register .ca with the privacy guard :xf.grin:

Have you ever checked how many .US domains are registered to the 90210 zip code?

HeHe... should tell you how easy it is to get around some of those rules.

Now apply that to .ca and off you go.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back