Dynadot

advice Previous owner wants his domain back. What's the standard practice?

NameSilo
Watch

Darkniight

Established Member
Impact
A few days back, I won a domain in Sav auction. The domain was registered in Nov-2019 and expires in Nov-2023.

I listed the domain in several marketplaces. Today I received the following message through the domain lander:

1667133496477.png

I haven't responded to the message yet. According to the Way Back Machine, the domain seems to be used as an Amazon Affiliated Website. The matching Twitter and Facebook page doesn't seem to be active after Feb-2021.

Seeking your expert views about this. What's the standard practice in such a situation?

Feel free to share your similar experiences.

Thank you.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Sounds like a pity scam....ignore. IF it's that important to them, they can buy it back....

•••
Its very easy to loose domain name with SAV auctions in this manner. I lost some good ones for 1$ this way, only later one would realize that reserve cannot be set and the auction cannot be stopped

•••
if it were me, I would check if his story is true and give it back for cost. There are thousands of names dropping everyday and I have plenty of opportunities.

•••
Its very easy to loose domain name with SAV auctions in this manner. I lost some good ones for 1$ this way, only later one would realize that reserve cannot be set and the auction cannot be stopped
Same here. Lost a few in my n00b days. Also it starts too soon lol. Not too many check boxes and steps to initiate an auction

•••
"It seems you are a big domainer" - The word "Domainer" is not that much common to general people. Usually domainers use this among themselves.
Agree it's odd choice of words for non domainer.

•••
Smells bad. I would first look for old third party emails connected to the domain - registration and archive.org, and see if he can send and receive from them. If not, done. I wouldn't spend much time on it. A 2019 name - not so much money.

I had a couple of these situations - one real and one was bull*. The real one was able to verify information. It was a small business site. The owner put his niece or something in charge of domain, renewals, site, etc. She screwed up. I gave it back for what I paid - a few hundred bucks. He was really appreciative - would have been a disaster for them. The site was back up quickly after I returned the name.

•••
A few days back, I won a domain in Sav auction. The domain was registered in Nov-2019 and expires in Nov-2023.

I listed the domain in several marketplaces. Today I received the following message through the domain lander:

Show attachment 226063

I haven't responded to the message yet. According to the Way Back Machine, the domain seems to be used as an Amazon Affiliated Website. The matching Twitter and Facebook page doesn't seem to be active after Feb-2021.

Seeking your expert views about this. What's the standard practice in such a situation?

Feel free to share your similar experiences.

Thank you.in other words your a lowlife domainer that spend a fortune to renew domain ,im just a small guy wanting to get big ,bull shit,,,,,do this see what else he has to trade for his first love ,if it works for you let him transfer the other domain first,im sure if the tables were turned this guy wouldent give a f .
r

•••
Well, once he verifies that it is his domain, tell him to send the amount back to you in bitcoin +5% if you feel like taxing him...

Imagine if this was you, or worse, you and you didn't use the internet much but had a dream with this domain name..

let him buy it back, I'm sure you have plenty..

•••
If you actually contact this person with the intent to sell it back at cost or a discount on retail, be absolutely sure to receive solid proof that he or she did own it. Like receipts for the initial purchase and at least one renewal invoice, as scammers do this ALL the time and *claim* to be the "old owner (it's the new "poor student" idiot-trick) hoping you'll be a fool and just give the domain to them.

I would personally not even contact these jokers. I have replied in the past and it's been nothing but a nightmare. I nicely offered one nitwit the domain at cost and he flew into an email tirade on how he's not going to pay a single penny for "his domain" and I need to give back "his domain" immediately, etc.

I told him to STFU, blocked his ass and I recommend that everyone think long and hard whether you want to be a "nice guy" and entire the world of a potential psychotic.

Think about it, does a "normal person" even send an email like you posted?

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back