IT.COM

discuss Pretty disturbing advice to someone that wants a domain - file a UDRP

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I am breaking up the link so please copy and paste and remove the space if you want to read

https://news.ycombinator.com/ item?id=853228

A person posted there that they are frustrated because they want a name and the domain holder doesn't respond.

Someone suggested:

"If you want the name that badly, trademark it and have a lawyer start the ICANN dispute process to take the name from the squatter. This will cost you some $$$ in legal fees, but probably less than the squatter is willing to spend in defending the name."

I am glad others countered that advice, however it makes you realize what type of people are out there.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
He actually suggested a good method to get listed on http://www.hallofshame.com (run by Rick Schwartz)...
First case I read on the site

"“[T]he Respondent registered the disputed domain name <spase.com> in February 2005, and had used the disputed domain name to generate PPC revenues for some (14) years prior the Complainant’s adoption of the SPASE name,” the panel further wrote. “The Complainant, after unsuccessfully attempting purchase the disputed domain name from the Respondent, then filed a groundless Complaint.”"

http://www.hallofshame.com/rdnh-case/sahil-gupta-of-spase-io-guilty-of-reverse-domain-hijacking/

Very nice of rick to create this site on such a great name

•••
He actually suggested a good method to get listed on http://www.hallofshame.com (run by Rick Schwartz)...
Shaming is the biggest scurge of the internet. Why not just shame everybody for every bad thing they do instead of singling out individuals for selective shame. Humans are a filthy disease killing the planet each day a bit more. Every one of us contributes to it. So don't think singling out people makes you any better. We are humans all scum to the other animals. Waste of time website, better to educate them than shame. Evil people don't care if you shame them. Seems folk on this website aren't evil just made a mistake. Educate them don't cancel them like 21 century culture is trying to do.

Last edited:
•••
Shaming is the biggest scurge of the internet. Why not just shame everybody for every bad thing they do instead of singling out individuals for selective shame. Humans are a filthy disease killing the planet each day a bit more. Every one of us contributes to it. So don't think singling out people makes you any better. We are humans all scum to the other animals. Waste of time website, better to educate them than shame. Evil people don't care if you shame them. Seems folk on this website aren't evil just made a mistake. Educate them don't cancel them like 21 century culture is trying to do.
Seriously - you must be kidding!? I would like to see your face when you first acquire a domain and develop it, run it a decade and then someone comes and take it from you with UDRP.
This people are very aware about what they are doing and have lawyers who should know better but they still go on this road and try to steal your domain. This people are hiding behind corporate names and lawfirms. It is the right thing to expose as much as possibble. They deserve it!

Last edited:
•••
Educate them
Not always applicable. Educating ycombinator is one thing. But how can we educate a law firm for example, which is serving this or that corporate customer, starting UDRPs like a crazy printer (in copy-paste mode)? They'll promptly invoice their client for each UDRP, who in most cases is unaware what domain their lawyers tried to "secure" yesterday or today... Actually, they may not need or want one more domain (if somebody asks the CEO). I had such an UDRP once, responded myself, really enjoyed the whole process lol. RDNH was found. So, Rick does a good job on hallofshame.com. Hopefully, lawyers featured on his website will think twice next time, as well as potential complainants.

Last edited:
•••
Educate them

You know how most children learn not to stick their hands into a fire?

The process of "education" happens in a lot of ways. You can put up signs at the wildlife park saying, "Don't get out of the car". You can tell people at the wildlife park, "Don't get out of the car."

But, you know what? There are always people who are going to need a direct personal lesson:

That tiger is an expert educator.

Last edited:
•••
I stand corrected. Thought it was individual mistakes not industrial scale domain name theft. Should have taken the time to read all the stories. I was wrong.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back