Dynadot

.tv Premium .tv's: So what did all of you register?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I've come a little late to the game so I hope this question is appropriate..

What did all of you register?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I don't have any pure evidence to back this up but .com has become keyword obsessed and this has created two types of markets.

.TV on the other hand is in the interesting position of having available keywords and being readily brandable. It doesn't yet suffer the domainer/raw traffic obsession and high entry cost.

I've been reading and watching a lot about advertising. Brick and mortar budgets SLASHED. Online budgets are up - however, the returns required are more than juts traffic numbers but real ANALYTICS.

The 2010 marketing direction is all about BRAND ENGAGEMENT and brand analytics. Studies have also shown that people respond to domains and ignore keywords... PARTICULARLY in the savvy Gen Y market. They have grown up with keywords representing traffic whoring. It's one of the reasons why CTR on technical domains is generally harder than non-technical domains.

Keyword domains are for traffic monetization. Brand names are there for BRAND monetization. This is why I predict a HUGE FUNDAMENTAL change to the domaining industry in 5-10 years where the domain name is no longer important OUTSIDE of being a BRAND. Everything will be cloud/portfolio/semantically linked. You will be accessible by your brand and "keywords" are secondary.

Future speculation you can view as nonsense. Current statement is how the world is. Branding is now the SINGLE MOST IMPORTANT thing for ANY COMPANY to ENGAGE in. PERIOD.

Great post!
It's all about the brands, especially for .tv, cause .tv is a highly brandable extensions itself!

•••
Great post!
It's all about the brands, especially for .tv, cause .tv is a highly brandable extensions itself!

Correction One: Online Advertising is down not up. It's UP in the area of analytics.. which I pair with branding.

Correction Two: They respond to the brand (not the domain) With TV there is great opportunity for synergy - xref MLB.TV)

Note: I don't rule out this happening with .WEB or even .ME or .BS or dot anything. TV is nicely positioned for the TV crossover. I'm NOT a TV evangelist by any stretch. To me the ccTLD matters not (well a little :blink:)!

•••
Note: I don't rule out this happening with .WEB or even .ME or .BS or dot anything. TV is nicely positioned for the TV crossover. I'm NOT a TV evangelist by any stretch. To me the ccTLD matters not (well a little :blink:)!

Being a ccTLD does matter ... the ".TV" should be an gTLD (and will face dilutive pressures from new, proposed gTLD's such as the highly brandable .WEB)! :gl: :imho:

Good input, thanks!
Jeff B-)

•••
Touche, defaultuser, and thanks for the most enlightening and engaging post. As I have names in many extentions, it is just like I state in my signature:

.tv - I Like It!

Appreciate the comprehensive analysis you give regarding the extension.

•••
Being a ccTLD does matter ... the ".TV" should be an gTLD (and will face dilutive pressures from new, proposed gTLD's such as the highly brandable .WEB)! :gl: :imho:

Good input, thanks!
Jeff B-)

There is nothing brandable about .web, that's a quite forgettable extension, just like .me, .bz, etc. When companies like google start promoting their own extensions, that's when it is going to get interesting, if you can imagine google deciding to tweak their extension up the food chain as far as serps go... that encourages sales and development of their extension, and provides them with yet another billion in revenue. But .web? Not likely.

•••
..if you can imagine google deciding to tweak their extension up the food chain as far as serps go... that encourages sales and development of their extension, and provides them with yet another billion in revenue. But .web? Not likely.

I cannot imagine this. No. Google IS the Governments new Microsoft.:)
Google's position is more tenuous than it appears.

Competition cannot ALL be bought and the govt only so much :)

•••
got "Voo" in .tv. means "flight" in Portugese, and "see" in one of the french dialects in some regions of France and Belgium. Would be great if french speakers could comment on the term.

•••
I just registered américa.tv

•••
"Recorder" - As a kid, my favorite music instrument. Though I could always use it as a service to help people record their videos. :)

oh yeah... and I picked up a few more like: "Ralph"

;)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back