Dynadot

advice Potential buyer says he holds USPTO trademark now

NameSilo
Watch

Mark4domain

Established Member
Impact
Hi there, i have a high-value domain, which is unique but easily understood in our industry. It's phased as a Term+Platform, so it is easily understood.
The domain has been registered since mid-2000's whereas i purchased it 3 years ago.
Now it seems like one of the sellers got a USPTO to accept a trademark for it last year. I checked the date, and it's from last year for the "WORD", long after I had the for sale on the domain.
What should i do or prepare for now? Should i reach out and ask them to buy it politely? or sell it to a buyer who is offering a significantly less asking price?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Hi there, i have a high-value domain, which is unique but easily understood in our industry. It's phased as a Term+Platform, so it is easily understood.
The domain has been registered since mid-2000's whereas i purchased it 3 years ago.
Now it seems like one of the sellers got a USPTO to accept a trademark for it last year. I checked the date, and it's from last year for the "WORD", long after I had the for sale on the domain.
What should i do or prepare for now? Should i reach out and ask them to buy it politely? or sell it to a buyer who is offering a significantly less asking price?

Don't reach out, contacting them could be a mistake, some UDRP panelists will view it as bad faith and transfer the name even though the TM was established after the domain name. Make sure no ads on the landing page for the company with the registered TM.

•••
"Potential buyer says he holds USPTO trademark now"...

That makes it sound like they were in contact with you, but then I read the post and it doesn't seem like there has been any contact.

I wouldn't really do anything. It seems like you might be creating a problem where one doesn't exist.

Brad

•••
Sneaky let them invest again next time closer to asking price.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back