IT.COM

domain PokerThought.com please appraise!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Status
Not open for further replies.

Want2learn

Top Member
Impact
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I can see branding and tutorials coming from this -- gambling is always a hot sector to monopolize in, and it makes sense as there is a lot of thought before every move. I would have to give it an XXX valuation. :> and a nice find.

•••
•••
I have been around the game for a long time and traded several poker domains. Sure, if you want to play poker and make money in the long run you need to do some thinking. That being said, I don't see any value in this domain. Thought being past tense of think doesn't go well at all here and with poker names generally you'll do better if you use word+poker. For example, thinkpoker.com...that's a decent name imo.

Last edited:
•••
I have been around the game for a long time and traded several poker domains. Sure, if you want to play poker and make money in the long run you need to do some thinking. That being said, I don't see any value in this domain. Thought being past tense of think doesn't go well at all here and with poker names generally you'll do better if you use word+poker. For example, thinkpoker.com...that's a decent name imo.
Thank you for the feedback.

I agree that thinkpoker is better than pokerthink. ThoughtPoker imo is worse than PokerThought. PokerThoughts is stronger than PokerThought. PlayPoker is better than PokerPlay. Now that Ive written this out like this I think many of us, maybe all of us would say there are exceptions to the rules! I can see Word plus Poker now being stronger. I think the PlayPoker vs PokerPlay captures that for me. They both work of course, but PlayPoker is like hey come on guys lets go play poker and PokerPlay is, omg did you see that poker play (move) phil ivey put on durr?

Thanks again.

I guess Ill hope for the 1/2 outer that this domain sells for more than 0:)

•••
No value imo, you need the plural for this to have a chance- pokerthoughts. Who has just a thought about poker, or anything? A discussion means more than one.

Fyi there is the .poker extension you could get creative with, discuss•poker is available. But I suppose you are focusing on com's?

Also, never met people who want to just talk poker, generally we want to get down and play poker!

•••
No value imo, you need the plural for this to have a chance- pokerthoughts. Who has just a thought about poker, or anything? A discussion means more than one.

Fyi there is the .poker extension you could get creative with, discuss•poker is available. But I suppose you are focusing on com's?

Also, never met people who want to just talk poker, generally we want to get down and play poker!
I went from an idea for an app to PokerThought. Lol!

I agree with your broader point.

I recently took a psychology class for teachers. It was quite interesting. Semantics are a funny thing. Pragmatism is also interesting to me.

Poker Thought- I agree thoughts IS better. And I wouldn't ask you for one thought. Agreed there as well. But I would argue that there is absolutely a place for Poker Thought. It is different. And for someone writing a book blog or column PokerThought might be perfect for them.

Admittedly I have a vested interest to feel this way:) I actually feel this way regardless if you or I had the name:)

•••
There is a concept of playing with fake money when you learn to invest in stocks.

You basically imagine that you have 100K and invest in stocks, buy, sell etc. and see how you are doing, why etc.

I think something like that is needed for certain type of domain investors )

You have accumulated a trough of names that you probably won't sell, but you still keep investing new niches, jump from one to another, collect another 5-20 in that niche, lose interest, move to next one. You base your decisions on your own interests and/or anything that caught your eye recently, then do some google searches, look at namebio, infer some conclusions and rush to get the names, cautious that while you research someone will grab those gems, although they were safely "hidden in plain sight" for many years ))

Your approach needs serious revision, before your losses start really hurting.

One way I control the urge to buy names is limiting myself to my cash flow from this business. I make 6 figure income from my profession and business not related to domains, but still have decided that I can only reinvest in names the amount left after sales in the period minus renewals minus $1K/month payout for past investments minus cost of servers etc

Last edited:
•••
There is a concept of playing with fake money when you learn to invest in stocks.

You basically imagine that you have 100K and invest in stocks, buy, sell etc. and see how you are doing, why etc.

I think something like that is needed for certain type of domain investors )

You have accumulated a trough of names that you probably won't sell, but you still keep investing new niches, jump from one to another, collect another 5-20 in that niche, lose interest, move to next one. You base your decisions on your own interests and/or anything that caught your eye recently, then do some google searches, look at namebio, infer some conclusions and rush to get the names, cautious that while you research someone will grab those gems, although they were safely "hidden in plain sight" for many years ))

Your approach needs serious revision, before your losses start really hurting.

One way I control the urge to buy names is limiting myself to my cash flow from this business. I make 6 figure income from my profession and business not related to domains, but still have decided that I can only reinvest in names the amount left after sales in the period minus renewals minus $1K/month payout for past investments minus cost of servers etc

This is good advice! It is something I should seriously not only consider but do!

Doing, that is the hard part.

•••
I would quit regging more domains until you have a proof of concept.

We know you can find endless domains to register, though there is no proof of concept that involves actual sales. Take some domains list them for sale on NamePros, pitch them to end users, etc.

I don't think regging more domains at this point is going to be beneficial. It is just putting you more in the red.

Brad

•••
Status
Not open for further replies.
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back