IT.COM

advice Please help with my domains before I QUIT

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

SamDam

Established Member
Impact
I'm newbie in domaining and I reached this after many years of struggling in what they say "making money from internet marketing" which till now I don't believe although I watched a lot of courses and trainings and trainers show proofs of their money made by them, After many years of investing a lot of money and time in general Internet Marketing and domains, I'm out of money.

But let us get back to my new discovery of Domaining industry since 3 months, I read a lot and watched few courses, I bought till now about 30 domains, tried to sell any of them, but no way.

The bad thing that I didn't sell any one of them and NO MONEY at all. I need to sell even one domain, I need to make one sale, I need to make few hundreds to continue in this domaining.

So My question is, what is fastest way to sell a domain with a descent money in return or even a little???
I thought of to offer all my 30 domains here or any where else, hoping may be one domain will interest any of domainers her, should I do this or it's a bad idea?

So, please help with my domains before I QUIT

Thanks for your time, appreciate your supportive inputs.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Appreciate all your inputs, but if I can repeat a question in a previous reply about Flippa, How do you see the sold names in Flippa which do not make any sense for me as per domaining rules.

The majority of Flippa sales are real (although there can be exceptions), and prices there are often even below the market level, especially for .com domains. And there is no such thing as "domaining rules".

From what you generally write, it appears to me like you are not ready to invest in domains yet and need more learning for a few months. Still, if you really need to experiment with hand-registering:
1. Register for $1-2, for example by coupons or in Fasthosts.
2. Only .coms for now. Only!
3. Length matters. 2-word names are generally way better that 3 words. Shorter names are better.
4. Search volume does not matter too much unless it is big (over 20,000 and preferably more). Do not buy names just because they have 1,000-5,000 search volume - the advice to buy them is outdated and comes from times when internet search worked differently.
5. Expired domain lists are scanned daily by experienced domainers. Anything decent is picked by dropcatch service before it touches the ground, and anything half-decent gets hand-registered in minutes after it drops. So keep your expectations low because - even after applying filters - you may need to scan 10,000+ names or more to pick 1 name that has escaped all other domainers. And you would need to recognize it, of course. Hand-registration of expired names does not bring profit unless you are very, very good at it. Consider using cheaper dropcatch, or buying at closeouts or on forums.

More generally, think about the customer. You need to find names to sell to a company or to a startup for $1,000+. Think why they would pick your name and not all other names on the market. Industry keywords, probably?

For every 100 super-good hand-registered names, priced at end-user prices, you will sell yearly around 2. Maybe 1, maybe 3, maybe 0. So do your maths and statistics. Consider the renewal costs. Domaining is hard and is getting harder. Most people lose money in the first year, many in the second year.

Last edited:
•••
Advertising is the only medium you can control. You can't control any aftermarket. You can correct or manipulate (not good) your advertising skill and attract more bidders walking through the noisy street.

Flippa - from our analysis for Q1 2017, 92.6% of sales are mid-low $XXX or loos $X.

In the beginning, your mind is focused on
$xxx.xxx
later on
$xx.xxx
$x.xxx
$xxx
$xx
I Quit

Boost (reputation) your Brand name (business) value with strategic long term planning and increase your personal value. To increase your personal value, you need to expand your mind knowledge and skill base and "Belief" (that will feed your "hunger" for knowledge).

which do not make any sense

There is a difference between "potential" and "value", "speculation" and "prediction", "trend" and "sale".

Kind regards

•••
i am also new to domain buying and selling and it does take a lot of effort and time for me. i hope you stick to it by learning more and eventually earn more

•••
Having seen the advice in this thread alone by some very very experienced domainers you could do worse than re read this thread every so often

If you have bought domains for just the three months that means it will cost you nothing to wait the remaining 9 months to wait and see if any domains produce enquiries but as mentioned above there are a couple that could return a profit and many that may not but when the renewals are due re read this thread before renewing some of your portfolio

But most domainers have bought domains and wondered why on earth did they buy this or that domain but over time your portfolio will evolve and look nothing like it does now but it will only happen if you give your portfolio the time and attention it needs

But to be good at domaining you are in the right place here on np where any questions you have about domaining can be answered by experienced domainers that have experienced what you are experiencing with your portfolio and know how improve it for you and the best bit is their advice is totally free which can't be bad

•••
I've been using Dynadot religiously. The fees are lower and the layout is easy to navigate. And that's right except I'll never buy another extension except .com.

NEVER

•••
I've been using Dynadot religiously. The fees are lower and the layout is easy to navigate. And that's right except I'll never buy another extension except .com.

NEVER

Thanks for support, I'm also trying to stick with .com although I see sometimes sales of .net & .io and others with many thousands if just check DNjournal and Flippa,

Also I trying to stick with GoDaddy only because of its low priced backorder and bidding, I think DynaDot also starts with $15.99. what's your suggestions?

•••
There is a price point for spending per year. I spend more than 3000.00 a year on domains there so I pay 8.75 without having to buy a membership or package like Godaddy promotes.

It's free to search, 'watch' and bid on domains.

•••
I'm interested in some other extensions but I see limited value in other extensions unless it's a domain hack. I have two of these and I'm negotiating for another two letter .ly which is a dictionary word and it's a hack.

•••
RubyDeveloper.org

It's somewhere between being a gold nugget and a handful of gold dust - a minor gem in the making !

•••
It's somewhere between being a gold nugget and a handful of gold dust - a minor gem in the making !

Thank for you input, I'm sorry that I'm not not and English Native speaking, but what I understood from your words that it's a valuable domain or nothing at all, but I think this domain is great as ruby on rails Language is getting more famous and spread all over the world, I read a little about, because of that I registered, Hope someone will have interest in it. I will do some marketing to sell it or an auction coming days or weeks.

•••
Thanks for support, I'm also trying to stick with .com although I see sometimes sales of .net & .io and others with many thousands if just check DNjournal and Flippa,

The expert opinion unequivocally states best ROI in .io extension are achieved for identical domains in .com extension that historically broke through at least a 4-5 figure ceiling in sales.

•••
I'm newbie in domaining and I reached this after many years of struggling in what they say "making money from internet marketing" which till now I don't believe although I watched a lot of courses and trainings and trainers show proofs of their money made by them, After many years of investing a lot of money and time in general Internet Marketing and domains, I'm out of money.

But let us get back to my new discovery of Domaining industry since 3 months, I read a lot and watched few courses, I bought till now about 30 domains, tried to sell any of them, but no way.

The bad thing that I didn't sell any one of them and NO MONEY at all. I need to sell even one domain, I need to make one sale, I need to make few hundreds to continue in this domaining.

So My question is, what is fastest way to sell a domain with a descent money in return or even a little???
I thought of to offer all my 30 domains here or any where else, hoping may be one domain will interest any of domainers her, should I do this or it's a bad idea?

Thanks for your time, appreciate your supportive inputs.

You already got great advice in this thread, but I would like to add the following: Perseverance is key and you need to think long term. Also do lots of research and ask questions; you're already doing that so Kudos!

Remember, we all have to start at the bottom. If you keep at it, you'll make mistakes that you can learn from and that's how you gradually become better at it.

The word "Quit" needs to not be part of anything you do; otherwise you'll quickly find that you are quitting one thing for another. Stick to it and in time, you'll be glad you did.

•••
but what I understood from your words that it's a valuable domain or nothing at all

I meant to express your domain to be either in the good or very good category :)

•••
Ok, here's some wisdom I have gathered over the years. I don't class myself as a pro, but I've read a lot. You need to use my info here and what others have given and decide yourself if it's useful.
Use all advice to figure out the market for yourself in your own way! If you don't learn it yourself your own way then you'll be forever asking others "why this" and "what that" ;)

in Flippa, if you check Just Sold domains, you will notice domains with no meaning or rules of valuable sold for few hundreds, or even thousands

I see sometimes sales of .net & .io and others with many thousands if just check DNjournal and Flippa

Now consider carefully how many domains which do not sell. Are sat in auction listings for years upon years, don't sell and are let to expire.
Millions and millions, and their owners are too looking at these 4 and 5 figure sales and sat waiting and hoping their name is next. But it's just not going to happen. The percentage of total domains sold vs how many are available is tiny. And you have to look at that too.

Think of the lottery. People say "but someone has to win it, why not me", because there has to be tens of millions of people who lose for the one or few to win. And when you are "investing" good money on assets (domain names) then you don't want to be with the tens of millions with "hope" and high risk like the lottery ticket, you want to be sure you're going to sell names, and for good profit.

To do this, you need names which people want. This is the absolute golden rule - if no-one wants your name then it's impossible to sell. If very few people want your name, then it's unlikely to sell as you have to get them to your name among millions of others across various marketplaces etc.

Initially you should let experience dictate what you buy. As you are new, you shouldn't spend more than $100 or a bit more until you are sure you know what you buy is going to sell for at least a little more. Because you stand to lose less given you are likely to pick a name even priced at $100 that simply won't sell, or will takes years.
That said, honestly, I don't think you should buy anything for some time as the names you bought are not going to sell, sorry. You'll look back on this as many people do, and think "yeah, why did I buy those names lol".

So, how do you get a general idea of what names are worth? You have to look at many many many sales, from 6 figures down to 2 figures, and gather this info and paint a picture of it all in your mind.
This allows you to weed out and forget those which sold for $30,000 which you cannot understand why (it happens) and the ones which sell for $500 which were surely worth much more.
You can then with the remaining knowledge see a realistic overall value of the different names - two word, one word, categories, industries, etc.

Essentially, with the odd and obscure sales out of the picture, what remains are real sales and absolutely therefore what the values were. Yes on another day the sale price could have been different, but there's nothing you can do about that, just learn what things actually sell for. NOT what people want them to sell for based on marketplace list prices!

Concentrate on basic names and ones which people in 'general' and business will want to buy, for example: "[KillerKeyword]Online.com", and not low potential like "SallysHairSalon.com".
Not only is the latter so unlikely to sell, Sally won't likely have more than double figures to fork out, and likely won't understand the point or need to do so for her domain name when they're on her cards and 90% of her trade comes from people local passing by etc.

Kate hit the nail on the head - think about who would use the name, so are there many businesses in this category, is it local or global, is the industry the name relates to a profitable one?
Importantly, how many businesses are likely to be fighting over the name?
What could the name be used for?

If at any point with any of the above questions (and more) do you stop and think "urmm" then it's likely the name is not so valuable.

consider what your approach is and pros and cons.
  1. Buy 3 names at $100 each that seem likely to sell for $300 or a little more on a better or the right marketplace. - Best case you make $500 or more profit selling all 3 - bad case you sell one for $300 and lost and made nothing - worst case but unlikely if chosen wisely, you lose $300
  2. Buy 30 rubbish names for $10 reg fee that are likely to never sell - Best case you sell 4 or 5 for low to mid $xx and lose $150 - worst and likely case given bad names is you you lose $300

Also, consider the ones in DNJournal carefully. If it sold for 4 or 5 figures, while there are the odd exceptions, they are likely good names and perhaps you just didn't see the reason for their value.

Good luck - read, learn, read some more, and when you realise domaining is a business and a vocation just like selling stocks and shares (yes there is a lot of similarity) then you might just start making money at it ;)

•••
I'm interested in some other extensions but I see limited value in other extensions unless it's a domain hack. I have two of these and I'm negotiating for another two letter .ly which is a dictionary word and it's a hack.

I've never been a fan of. ly and as such I don't own a. ly domain as the only place I see them is on one of the brandable websites I can't remember which now

I'd like to always prefer a. Com given the choice

•••
Consider:

1) The higher the price, the harder to sell.

2) Whatever you are doing, you will first need a passion in doing it. Try first building a website based on your interest/hobby on one domain name. Then you will know what to do after, and how to pursue in the road of domain names.

3) Once a domainer, forever a domainer. You breathe domain names. You eat domain names. You drink domain names. You learn but never give up.

4) Do your research first, do not infringe other peoples rights, unless you are authorized or have an agreement in doing so (e.g. affiliate/partnership). Trademark, copyright etc and produce your own content. Make your own graphics, buy website templates and include their marks, or pay extra to have the marks removed etc.

5) You are doing great. Because you have doubts, and you are finding your own light.

Peace.

Last edited:
•••

you are on the right path, if you have done all that you can then it is time to call it a wrap.

Most people stop doing this after a few weeks/months, you are no alone.

At least you gave it a shot.

•••
As mentioned above by others but simply put

A well used phrase

The system works if you work the system

If you don't develop your own system for buying and selling domains you'll never be able to work your own system

And or

If you try to work someone else's system you'll need to learn their system or remember their system in order to work their system

But

If you develop your own system and find out what works for you and find and know your own market (system) you will be able to work your own system easily over time

Everybody has their own system or their own niche or tld extension or industry sector they like or know something about that they can relate to their customers about and no two are the same well not often

But only by buying domains that don't sell does a person realise that I'm not going to buy that type of domain again as that was a waste of money etc or you make a couple of sales with similar domains in a profession or industry sector and then think that was easy I can sell those domains all day long

Only you will know what works for you

But patience and time are the best investment tools in any investment eg stockmarket or property or domains Ok so you can get lucky on the stockmarket but property doubles in value over time

The multiples are there in domain names but it takes time or knowing what to buy

But what do I know - I know nothing lol

•••
Your domains are way too specific and not really good options for local domains. I will explain a few below so you hopefully learn from it. Others explained better criteria.

InternetMarketingOfferz.com

What hurts this domain is a "Z" at the end. Don't buy made up stuff just yet. True, there are domains that are made up and brandables BUT since you just started you need to develop an eye for them. Stay away from them for now. What also hurts this domains is that it is 3 keywords. Stick to 2 words for now to maximize value. Better keywords: InternetMarketing.com, MarketingOffers.com, InternetMarketingAdvice.com, InternetMarketingCourse.com

Valued.host
What hurts this domain is the .host extension which are harder to sell unless is is a GREAT keyword. Better keywords with this extension would be: fast.host vps.host dedicated.host cheap.host. Stick to .com

PharaohsLife.com
This one is okay but not very commercial. There are only 1,810 results in Google for the keywords. I can't think of any businesses who would sell products or services based on "Pharaohs Life". If you have to do mental gymnastics by saying a business might could sell products or services then it's probably too narrow of a niche and you need to pass. We don't want maybe domains. We want domains that have the maximum commercial value.

SaveMarriageGuidance.com
This one is okay but the keywords are odd. If someone is looking to save their marriage I do not think they are likely to use these keywords. It only has 3 results in Google and there are no results on Google Trends: https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?q=Save Marriage Guidance. Better keywords might be: MarriageGuidance.com, MarriageCounseling.com, SaveMyMarriage.com, MarriageTherapist.com

ClicksPress.com
What does "clicks press" mean? It doesn't sound like a natural word usuage.

WomanRed.top
Same here. What does "woman red" or "woman red top" mean? It's not the natural ususage. Do you mean redwomanstop?

SalinaFootDoctor.com
"Salina Foot Doctor" - Way too specific. How many Foot Doctors could there be in Salina? How many of those are likely to buy this domain? It's going to be hard to sell this.

Xedo.us, iWire.us, iKid.us, Tamr.us, Vrom.us, Vahm.us, Wrld.us, ZipLN.com
These domains don't make much sense. They are brandable but not good brandables. Stay away from domains like this.

Hope this helps.

•••
Data is key

Before a potential domainer buys a single domain they will probably use already publicly available domain name data or just a hunch that if I buy this domain name it should be easy to sell etc

But once you have bought a few domain names etc you then have your own unique data based on the domains you bought when you bought them and how much you sold each domain and how much you paid for your domains and how much profit you made and which domains you did not manage to sell etc and which domains you chose to renew and which domains you allow to expire etc and in time you will have your own domain name portfolio that you put together that works for you because you manage your portfolio around you etc which is important because it's you who either refuses lowball offers and or holds out long term for higher offers etc

But eventually your portfolio will be able to self fund itself because as you start to tweak your portfolio here and there it will slowly but surely produce sales that will allow you to reinvest sales $'s into your portfolio by way of a couple of renewals and possibly a few new domains in time etc

But renewals buy time

Each domain is effectively bait in the whois lake

If you don't renew good domains your domains expire from the whois lake

You can't catch a shark on fresh air

So you need good domains in whois etc that people will at some point look to find in whois and find that you own the domain they want to buy

So you need to think like an end user eg what domain would an end user in a certain industry sector or profession want to buy? in. Com obviously

•••
But patience and time are the best investment tools in any investment eg stockmarket or property or domains

On the upside, with an entry set at a hand-registration fee, it's one of the few democratically accessible fields where one can be poor and still call oneself an investor, as in a domain names investor :)

Last edited:
•••
On the upside, with an entry set at a hand-registration fee, it's one of the few democratically accessible fields where one can be poor and still call oneself an investor, as in a domain names investor :)

As more people globally get access to the Internet and a search engine etc domain names could give people and communities a career via buying. Coms from a smart phone enabling them to enjoy a better standard of living

•••
As more people globally get access to the Internet and a search engine etc domain names could give people and communities a career via buying. Coms from a smart phone enabling them to enjoy a better standard of living

The main point of my post with that domaining provided a membership short-cut in the formerly exclusive investors' club

Last edited:
•••
Wow, you have gotten some really good advice here by some pros...hope you spend some time reading more posts here and in other threads.

It took over a year to sell my first domain...I too bought many I should not have and they finally dropped and went away. I learned an awful lot (still learning years later) and made better buys as time progressed.

Being a domain investor is tough, but don't give up yet...focus on the 3-5 names that others have suggested have value and do outbound marketing...then, and only then, buy a couple more names and wait until something sells to buy more.

I wish you good luck...don't give up yet.

•••
Buying the first domain is easy buying the next few isn't that hard either but then without really knowing it you have now got yourself a small domain name portfolio which is good etc but that's only the start because now before you know it you'll soon have had your domains nearly a year which means it's renewal time if bought all at once or almost if not a weekly event renewing existing domains but also handregging domains during the year two until depending on your budget you'll have a decision to make eg renew an existing domain or let it expire and buy a different domain that you think is better than the domain you allowed to expire etc but it's all part of fine tuning your portfolio etc

Its a bit like a football team I suppose eg each year some players stay in a team and some join other teams and new players are added to your existing team etc

Your portfolio won't look like it does now in 5years etc

But the completed sales thread is extremely important to read as it gives you a good idea what names people are selling but just as important are the stories behind the sales and the negotiation as not everyone can sell etc but the experienced domain investors and brokers tips are well worth reading

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back