IT.COM

Please explicitly disallow the "PayPal - send money to a friend or family member" payment method in case of all domain transactions here on NamePros

NameSilo
Watch

Charybdis

Established Member
Impact
Here is what happened, a seller mentioned in the sales thread that they accept PayPal as a payment method.

We had negotiated the sale but then this seller wanted me to pay by "PayPal - send money to a friend or family member" payment method. I declined this request, since it would be against the PayPal User Agreement. Here is the link: https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/ua/useragreement-full?locale.x=en_US#fees-for-sending-money

"You must not send money as a personal transaction (often referred to as using the “send money to a friend or family member” feature in your PayPal account) when you are paying for goods or services." - according to the PayPal User Agreement.

A seller simply cannot force me to break the PayPal User Agreement just save a few bucks on the transaction fees. Buying a domain name from a NamePros member is "paying for goods or services". It can never be a transaction between friends or family members, but it is a business transaction. So I think there is not a single instance when the "PayPal - send money to a friend or family member" payment method would be justified.

And here comes the problem, because I declined the seller's request to pay by "PayPal - send money to a friend or family member" and I told them that I can only pay by a "normal" PayPal transaction, they wanted me to pay extra to cover their PayPal transaction fees. But that is against the NamePros rules: https://www.namepros.com/threads/official-rules-of-namepros.848752/

"6.1.7. Sellers are responsible for paying all transaction fees except those the buyer could have avoided or the buyer chooses to pay. Sellers should take fees into consideration when choosing sale prices and starting bids. "

So this kind of misunderstanding can be avoided by disallowing this "PayPal - send money to a friend or family member" payment method in the NamePros rules. Because looks like sometimes if a seller mentioned in the sales thread that they accept PayPal, what they really mean is that they expect the buyers to pay by "PayPal - send money to a friend or family member", but that is against the PayPal User Agreement, but unfortunately not every seller reads the full PayPal User Agreement so they don't know this.

So in short my suggestion is to include this in the NamePros rules:

It is prohibited to force a buyer to use the "PayPal - send money to a friend or family member" payment method.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
To keep the peace, isn't the simple solution for PayPal to be listed as a payment being accepted, without specifying which type. That way, if an individual seller has a preference, he or she can work the matter out with the buyer?

•••
Last edited:
•••
•••
Thanks for the links BIGGIE
Those were the days, see some old avatars haven’t seen for a while. Sigh
I have never used friends and family as I see it as ripping off paypal for using their service. Not risking my paypal account for pocket change
Times have changed from 2016, just looking at accounts posted in the threads you linked.
Being a community based moderation 4um, unless members go around cheesing people out, unenforceable. Can’t wait to see how they respond to DO thread.
Only .one I will report. That was 12 hours ago, no mods on duty since then.

•••
@MasterOfMyDomains Considering canceling my business account and just having a regular account, I usually do dynadot as payment method or a couple other choices. As for the payment methods I state it's up to the buyer if to buy my domain or not and to agree on any terms of payment, weather, it's DD, Dan, Sedo, or others. So, yeah I never force people to buy from me. Happy Selling My Friend, and thanks for bringing your ANGER to my ATTENTION.

•••
Not anger. I sympathize for you. Just namepros implements a new rule, doesn't make any formal announcement. I think they changed the rule. Still think it's wrong to say the payment is from a friend or family to avoid for you 15 cents to a dollar a deal. Mr Sensors tagged ya first anyways, and you will continue to send and receive via friends and family so on with the show this is it

•••
Not anger. I sympathize for you. Just namepros implements a new rule, doesn't make any formal announcement. I think they changed the rule. Still think it's wrong to say the payment is from a friend or family to avoid for you 15 cents to a dollar a deal. Mr Sensors tagged ya first anyways, and you will continue to send and receive via friends and family so on with the show this is it
I have taken your ANGER as a factor of how to do business and will revise my policy. Thanks

•••
I still favor an outright ban on PayPal Family & Friends payments since I would say most of the sellers using this method of payment, are pushing selling costs onto the buyer. And most of these sellers I would not consider to be Family or Friends.

And I'm very pleased that @Daniel Owens has revised his policy (although I haven't yet seen what he has changed it too).

•••
I still favor an outright ban on PayPal Family & Friends payments since I would say most of the sellers using this method of payment, are pushing selling costs onto the buyer. And most of these sellers I would not consider to be Family or Friends.
May I ask a very simple question here. Paypal does allow the non-business account to be used for the occasional purchase or sale by someone. If someone does not have a business account, can they still use regularPaypal on the Namepros marketplace? Having to create a business account for some be occasional sales might not make sense. Learning more about the issue, it seems that there is an exception in Paypal's guidance for the occasional seller.

•••
May I ask a very simple question here. Paypal does allow the non-business account to be used for the occasional purchase or sale by someone. If someone does not have a business account, can they still use regularPaypal on the Namepros marketplace? Having to create a business account for some be occasional sales might not make sense. Learning more about the issue, it seems that there is an exception in Paypal's guidance for the occasional seller.
The answer is yes, for the occaasional seller not doing it as a business. Checked with Paypal.

Last edited:
•••
Anyone care to offer NP's opinion on this?

•••
I do not agree namepros should ban paypal fnf…in fact namepros should allow any payment method including paypal fnf….why? Because it doesn’t matter….if buyers don’t like the payment method, then don’t buy ….no one is forcing you to buy …..as far as tax evasion issues, even if it is paypal fnf, one should still report the income if it is business transaction…..a lot of businesses use paypal fnf, venmo, zelle, crypto and they all still report incomes for tax purposes…..

Disallowing paypal fnf won’t make a difference; unless NP wants to ban zelle, cash app, ach bank transfer, venmo and all that too to be fair

•••
I do not agree namepros should ban paypal fnf…in fact namepros should allow any payment method including paypal fnf….why? Because it doesn’t matter….if buyers don’t like the payment method, then don’t buy ….no one is forcing you to buy
Well, after talking to Paypal's business section, it was clear that Paypal does not mandate using a business account for the occasional sellers of domains. There is a risk for the seller, not havng the added protections of the business account. The tax issues are really a moot point, because the IRS will likely know either way...

•••
Anyone care to offer NP's opinion on this?
Yes, I was hoping that the mods would chime in to clarify this. It seemed the major issue of contention before was who paid the fees. If a seller does not have a business account, and is not imposing any additional fees on the buyer, is that acceptable?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back