Dynadot

Pheenix.com - Drop Catching Service - Please Share Your Experiences

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I just signed up with Pheenix.com, a new drop catching service by the owners for FreshDrop, and would like to know your experience with them. Has anyone won a domain with them? Any issues in getting the domains put in your name/in your account?

Last edited by a moderator:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Tony,

Whois is fixed now.
Transfer Out Approved is fixed and will be deployed in this weekend's update.

JB,

We just launched it yesterday. I'm sure there are some kinks in it. Updates will be happen daily to fix any bugs you find. Just contact [email protected] if you need help with anything.

Thanks

Tan

•••
Tony,

Whois is fixed now.
Transfer Out Approved is fixed and will be deployed in this weekend's update.

JB,

We just launched it yesterday. I'm sure there are some kinks in it. Updates will be happen daily to fix any bugs you find. Just contact [email protected] if you need help with anything.

Thanks

Tan

It's more than just some, it would take me a long time to go thru it all. I'll try again when I have more time over the weekend, hopefully some things get fixed by then. Basic links on the top not working, About Us, Account, Support. Pheenix deleting not showing. The tabs/filters/feeds, forget what you call it, not working so I have a lot of things I have no interest in showing up like Alexa Fake rank. Can't change it because links don't work. It's just too frustrating to get around right now.

I just saw the previous version link which I'm using right now. Of course the links on the top aren't working either but at least it has all my saved info so I can use it. Is that staying, the previous version?

Last edited:
•••
JB,

The links should work fine on the new version. Maybe it's because of our deployment propogation or old files are cachec in browser. Try to clear your cache and/or close your browser to see if that helps.

But definately links seems to work on our side. When you say the link does not work, what does it do when you click it?

Previous version will remain up for some time. No decision made yet on when to remove it.

Tan

•••
JB,

The links should work fine on the new version. Maybe it's because of our deployment propogation or old files are cachec in browser. Try to clear your cache and/or close your browser to see if that helps.

But definately links seems to work on our side. When you say the link does not work, what does it do when you click it?

Previous version will remain up for some time. No decision made yet on when to remove it.

Tan

Cleared it, still getting these errors when clicking the links:

About Us
You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'AND DET.LOOKUP_DETAIL_ID = COL.LOOKUP_DETAIL_ID AND COL.MT_ID=0 ' at line 5

Account
NP is not letting me post what I'm seeing for this link for some reason, had to put spaces on part of it to get it to show up here

You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'order by MT_ID' at line 4

s e l e c t f r o m T W I M E M B E R T A B S w h e r e M E M B E R I D = o r d e r b y M T I D

Support
You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'AND DET.LOOKUP_DETAIL_ID = COL.LOOKUP_DETAIL_ID AND COL.MT_ID=0 ' at line 5

Last edited:
•••
Had one more question. Right now, can you push a domain to another account at Pheenix? Had an inquiry about a domain I got a month ago. Thanks.

•••
hi

anyone uses pheenix.com now

how are they now? recently they couldn't catch any of the domains i submitted

what abt other's experience?

•••
I think at the moment they can compete maybe with godaddy backorders (and even here they lose sometimes) and desktop catchers.
I think they don't have enough registrars for better names.
Yenkos, ignitela and pheenix? are the ones i saw till today.
And i also feel like they were better at the beginning.

•••
I think at the moment they can compete maybe with godaddy backorders (and even here they lose sometimes) and desktop catchers.
I think they don't have enough registrars for better names.
Yenkos, ignitela and pheenix? are the ones i saw till today.
And i also feel like they were better at the beginning.
I have to agree with all the above points despite Yenkos catching some good domains including 6o9.com whilst they were used by intrust domains. I don't know how Pheenix came to acquire this registrar but it's clearly not able to catch as well as it once did (in my experience at least). Maybe it could be optimized better at Pheenix and/or maybe it's because drop catching now is completely different to how it was back then (a lot more registrars elsewhere being used for catching and the fact that Reberry has upped his game considerably).

Out of my four domains backordered at Pheenix for today:

Two went to BackorderZone - this is a very common outcome for me - most decent domains I backorder at Pheenix that aren't backordered at SnapNames or NameJet end up at BackorderZone. This is in stark contrast to stub's posted experiences.

Two went to SnapNames. Not exactly unexpected - they are the strongest catcher in my experience and to make matters worse, they are using their registrars to acquire domains for their own portfolio.

None went to Name.com (I backordered one of my selections there).

None went to Pheenix. Unfortunately this is a very common outcome for me, unless I'm tempted to backorder marginal stuff and even then GoDaddy and Reberry often outcatch them (more now than in the beginning in my experience, as GiftedDomains has also suggested in the above post). Maybe they are trying new methods in an attempt to optimize their system or they could be swamped with backorders due to increasing popularity and are thus forced to spread their connections too thinly (hope it's the former).

Support at Pheenix has been excellent though (and I don't use that term lightly). I'm really grateful for what they've done for me. And they have caught some nice domains for me in the past. Thanks guys!

Hopefully things will improve going forwards now that they have an auction model in place (since August 1st) and will presumably have more funds for purchasing more connections. Although I much prefer the first-come, first-served model, if the auction model will improve their catching power, I'm all for it as long as it's still $18.95 to backorder.

Last edited:
•••
i think feba / com was catched by NAME.com
i never used name, but i think they are first-come first-serve, that would mean an amazing catch.

•••
Yes, I did it recently.

Request buyer to open a free account.
Request him his "Bidding Alias" (you can find it below Pheenix logo).
Go to "bulk operations" tab
Paste the domain/s you wish to push
Fill with the buyer bidding alias and submit

It's pretty fast. If your buyer wants to transfer out to another registar, he must request the auth code to Pheenix support.

Note: I provided my client with many links from reputated domain blogs announcing the Pheenix service. The overall feel of Pheenix site may transmit a "scammy" image if unknown.

Had one more question. Right now, can you push a domain to another account at Pheenix? Had an inquiry about a domain I got a month ago. Thanks.

•••
Hi guys,

I wanted to chime in on the conversation. Now that we have opened up to multibids, you are able to bid on domains that were previously higher in demand. So our catch ratio is down a little but it's because probably the domain names that are now being concentrated on our more competitive... as before most of the competitive domains where already 'First Come First Serve.'

We are still using our great catching engine and have near term plans on increasing the catch ratio.

@primerlloc

Thanks for feedback on site. We are working on a new version that is much more pleasing to the eye while still providing great features.

Tan

•••
Had a super long post that I just edited out after a few hours messing with it and finally figuring it out.

It's easier if you use Chrome, things show up better. I usually use Firefox and that Search Options box was giving me issues. On the left, instead of the right as it is in Chrome and I couldn't get the whole thing/all the options to show up in FF.

I noticed Saved Searches are all gone so I have to redo all those over as well.

Also, what's this - We allow the selling and sharing of Saved Searches.

Last edited:
•••
Please keep the old version of FreshDrop active. The new version is not user friendly at all, and I do not use it.

•••
gorilla_bob, should we have Freshdrop questions in this thread as well or a separate one?

I finally figured it all out, the new Freshdrop and was looking at the Watchlist.

Went thru the Pheenix datafeed, watched some domains and then go to Watchlist. I noticed NJ Delete and Pool Delete showing up as well. So I have 3 listings for one domain. I only want the ones from Pheenix showing up. Guess not a big deal but then, I would rather have Snap Delete in there, don't use Pool.

Also, when trying to sort Alphabetically, doesn't work.

Last edited:
•••
•••
@chandan,

Renewals functionality will be online very soon. Renewals will be competively priced.

@freshdrop lovers

We are going through an interim period with FreshDrop right now. Even though we just launched the new version, we have an even better version in the works based upon your feedback here. Engineering is working nights and weekends on the new version which will have alot more user input from the community.

Hope this helps.

Tan

•••
Really looking forward to seeing the next version! (Great tool, but the current "new" interface is harder to use than the previous one.)

•••
@chandan,

Renewals functionality will be online very soon. Renewals will be competively priced.

@freshdrop lovers

We are going through an interim period with FreshDrop right now. Even though we just launched the new version, we have an even better version in the works based upon your feedback here. Engineering is working nights and weekends on the new version which will have alot more user input from the community.

Hope this helps.

Tan

Not a major issue but a real annoyance. Anytime I do anything, I have to keep going back to Expand grid. Watch or unwatch, click to sort a column, it always collapses.

•••
Problems. Last couple of days, Freshdrop hasn't had stats for Pheenix deleting. Then, tried to add a few domains deleting on the 7th and they're not showing up with the catch date next to them, just in the backorder list.

•••
Pheenix pls show ur power, u were shown at the beginning

•••
Xtremex,

We got some good things coming in a month or sooner. Expect more POWER!

:)

Tan

•••
pheenix.com petsitters.com backorder

i am looking to bid on the petsitters.com auction, anyone here participating?
I would pay a good commission for someone to represent me there.

•••
To be more precise, I would pay $1000 for a seat at the pheenix auction of petsitters.com if someone backordered it.

•••
Bumping an old thread might be a bad idea but my topic is best suited in this thread.
During the past week I tried to catch three domains using pheenix, all had market value of around 30-100 $.(value based on page rank and pa/da) Pheenix failed to catch any of them. I am still new to drop catching and want to know are any of you guys still using it?
What type of domains should I expect pheenix to catch for me?
Thanks

•••
Pheenix cannot compete with the big drop-catchers like Reberry/SnapNames/NameJet, although they will beat them sometimes. If the domains had backorders elsewhere, then you should backorder everywhere, including Pheenix. Pheenix has captured the majority of domains I've backordered there where there weren't any backorders anywhere else.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back