IT.COM

Pheenix.com - Drop Catching Service - Please Share Your Experiences

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I just signed up with Pheenix.com, a new drop catching service by the owners for FreshDrop, and would like to know your experience with them. Has anyone won a domain with them? Any issues in getting the domains put in your name/in your account?

Last edited by a moderator:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Pending Delete list (May 23, 2013)
-----------------------------------------------------------

Unable to backorder these domains: qatest-al-prod-emailmarketing-4052013.com, reparationautomobilecorbeilloise.com, healthcarepharmacybiological.com, alliedsecurity-financehouse.com, prod-0405-premium-boost-mvg.com, qatest-al-prod-prem-4052013.com, truereligionjeans-onsale.com, qatest-04042013-ek.com, qatest-al-prod-4052013.com, heartlandhardwoodforestproducts.com

0 domain(s) inserted:

????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

•••
one suggestion:

the "pheenix del" pending delete datafeed should be available to those who registered at pheenix, no matter if they are also a freshdrop member or not.
of course i have other free sources but this would make it easier.

•••
Stub,

The auctions will have a 'time bump' that resets to 3 minute if there are bids in the last few seconds. So that should not give any sniping software any advantages.

Dreamgolf,

The list has now been updated.

Tan

---------- Post added at 09:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:36 AM ----------

Gifted,

Thanks for your suggestion. It may be something that we do in the future.

Tan

•••
one question: if i have already entered my credit card info and additionally transfer the $100 paypal balance, would you use the paypal balance first in case of success? i would like to have the paypal balance used first in case of success.
And do i understand it correctly that if you shouldn't be successful, let say for several backorders, and i would like to have my money back, you would then transfer back the paypal balance?
thanks in advance for info.

also another question, in your FAQ you mention
I just made a whole lot of money from the domain names that Pheenix caught for me. What do i do next?
Answer: Take your loved ones or a special person on a great vacation!

am i allowed to buy more domain names with the money instead of a vacation or am i forced to take someone on a great vacation?

thanks in advance for clarification.

Last edited:
•••
Gifted,

The system will attempt to debit your balance first. If there is not enough funds in your balance, it will then charge your credit card. The balance left in your account is 100% completely refundable upon request.

For the second question, yes you may buy more domains to make more money. But you will need to promise your loved ones to take them on an even BIGGER vacation! :)

Tan

•••
Started to use pheenix just recently. From a few (<10) domains I was able to order, most catched by snapnames, one by godaddy (!) and finally got one today. Not bad at all. Now waiting (about an hour) for dns update. DNS servers are not yet sent to the registry (as per registry whois) even though dns were submitted correctly and are shown in registrar whois, but not in registry whois or .com zone... Why?

---------- Post added at 11:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:42 PM ----------

as a side note, pheenix might want to fix whois server. It does not show whois if the domain is typed in CAPITAL letters:

whois PHEENIX.COM

This is JWhoisServer serving ccTLD com;net;tv;cc;org;info;biz;la;in;me;co;de;vn
Java Whois Server 0.4.0.1 (c) 2006 - 2011 Klaus Zerwes zero-sys.net
ERROR code:10 msg:domain : syntax error in specified domain name
required syntax: ^(?:[a-z0-9](?:[a-z0-9\-](?!\.)){0,61}[a-z0-9]?\.)+(com|net|tv|cc|org|info|biz|la|in|me|co|de|vn)$
for request: PHEENIX.COM

but "whois pheenix.com" works fine

•••
Tony,

Congrats on the catch!

We just did an audit and the DNS seems to be matching. If you have a particular domain name that is still not changed, please let [email protected] know and they'll handle it immediately for you.

Your're right about the WHOIS. I'll have Tech look into this.

Thanks.

Tan

Last edited:
•••
Tan,

Well I'm a bit late on joining in but just registered and placed all my information in as well and hope to do some volume with you guys. Now to be clear it's $18.95 and does this include .net/.org/.info at this point? I'm sure I'll have a few more questions such as bulk pricing if possible but for now it's looking smooth and will test a batch of names soon.

Will report back with review

Blake

•••
Blake,

The most current price list will be on the 'Add Backorders' tab. Currently it is:

Backorder Pricing:
.com - $18.95
.net - $18.95
.tv - $58.95
.cc - $58.95

This includes 1 year of registration and 1 year of FREE Whois Privacy Shield.

Tony,

Tech was able to fix the problem with whois for PHEENIX.COM . Thanks for letting us know about this.

Tan

•••
@Tan - Of course it will. Not everyone lives in the USA. We can't stay up 24hrs in a day waiting for somebody to bid more than us, to catch the 3 minute window. The drops happen at 2-3AM here in Asia. So three days later, it's still 2-3AM when an auction closes. How do we compete without using sniping software? I bet even people in the US will be using sniping software to capture their auctions.

•••
stub,

Wouldn't a proxy bid prevent that?

Tan

•••
Any domain I try to enter, it says unable to backorder :/

•••
•••
that means some 1 already backordered in pheenix ;)

Every domain that I want? I submitted a domain that is pending delete on the 26th and still the same error :/

•••
Dj,

Try to enter a domain name that is worthless to see if the system takes it. If it does, it's probably because all the other domains that you wanted has already been backordered.

We'll be moving to a multi-bid system very soon, so you won't have this issue.

Tan

•••
As you know, I love the service, and wish it could always be first come, first serve. However, I do have a concern. Many domainers use services such as yours to catch names that they can resell to end users for a profit, not necessarily develop themselves, That said, when a potential buyer does a whois search for a domain caught with Pheenix, here is what they see:

--------------------------------------------------------------
Pheenix.com - We backorder domain names.
------------------------------------------------------------------
"Another Great Domain caught by Pheenix!"

Visit www.pheenix.com if you would like us to
catch domain names for you.

Backorder Pricing:

.com/.net $18.95
.tv/.cc $58.95
-----------------------------------------
I know that you guys have to promote the service, but I wouldn't want end users (or anyone else for that matter) knowing that I used Pheenix to catch a domain and what I paid to catch it. It is a hindrance to sales. Please remove this from the whois records, and allow the domainer the option to have this included or not. Thanks.

Edit: I know that Pheenix is acting as registrar, so I know the name Pheenix will be mentioned, but the other information listed above is definitely not friendly to a domainer trying to sell domains and should be removed from the Whois records.

Last edited:
•••
Dj,

We'll be moving to a multi-bid system very soon, so you won't have this issue.

Tan

Ohhh noooooo !!!!
Folks! Place your exclusive promotional $19 Backorders while you can before the crazy bidding wars a la Godaddy and SN start !!!! Hurrrryyyyy !!!!

j/k. no offence meant ;)
I understand this business model can't work for ever ;)

•••
As you know, I love the service, and wish it could always be first come, first serve. However, I do have a concern. Many domainers use services such as yours to catch names that they can resell to end users for a profit, not necessarily develop themselves, That said, when a potential buyer does a whois search for a domain caught with Pheenix, here is what they see:

--------------------------------------------------------------
Pheenix.com - We backorder domain names.
------------------------------------------------------------------
"Another Great Domain caught by Pheenix!"

Visit www.pheenix.com if you would like us to
catch domain names for you.

Backorder Pricing:

.com/.net $18.95
.tv/.cc $58.95
-----------------------------------------
I know that you guys have to promote the service, but I wouldn't want end users (or anyone else for that matter) knowing that I used Pheenix to catch a domain and what I paid to catch it. It is a hindrance to sales. Please remove this from the whois records, and allow the domainer the option to have this included or not. Thanks.

I agree with ... guy. Dude what's wrong with your nick :P

•••
I don't use pheenix because of what "nohbdyduzitbett" exactly said. Same case here.

•••
I think they beat GD and Reberry on quite a number of names.
I always check for brandable names (nice 5 letters, etc.) which went under the radar and checked whois of some names which dropped today but were catched and which i am sure Reberry for instance tried too, and some nice ones were with pheenix now. don't want to mention any names since the owners might want to keep it private. well done.

•••
stub,

Wouldn't a proxy bid prevent that?

Tan

Not if your proxy bid is $100 and the sniping software is told to go to a max of $110. OK. I understand the logic of a proxy bid being you max price for a domain. I use this method all the time because of my location. But often, if I see I've been outbid, I add one more bid. I've even on the odd occasion entered into a bidding war after entering my initial proxy bid. You sometimes change you mind about the amount you are prepared to bid on a domain. But usually I'm fast asleep when all this action happens :(

Last edited:
•••
Another catch for Pheenix for me today. Well done! :)

•••
Dave,

Awesome!

Everyone,

Just wanted to give everyone an update. Most likely we will be rolling out multibid feature some time next week or the week after if things go well.

Tan

•••
Had 3 names on my list today.
1 catched by enom
1 by mountaindomains (name?)
and 1 for me @ pheenix.
Not bad :)

•••
2 names on my list today and both catched by pheenix.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back