Payoneer

Pheenix.com---Drop Catching Service---Please Share Your Experiences

Discussion in 'Drop Catchers and Expired Domain Services' started by nohbdyduzitbett, Apr 28, 2013.

Replies:
Views:

1. stub

stub Top Member VIP

Dynadot beats Pheenix hands down. It's sad to see a kind of pioneer hit the slopes like this. May they RIP.

The opinions expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  2. Sam

Sam Active Member VIP

As a lazy domainer who sometimes lets things slip, I like the fact that they have public auctions after the domain is caught. But I would never place a backorder with them initially.

3. stub

stub Top Member VIP

As a non-lazy domainer. These after capture auctions, suck. I hate them all, generally. But they're here to stay. I still place my backorders with them and dynadot. But they mostly get caught by dropcatch, .web surrogates or dynadot. (for the domains which I backorder).

4. Soofi

Soofi Cheapest Domain Registrations :-) PRO Business Account VIP

Pheenix is charging ridiculous high amount of $250 for the domain name in redemption period while Godaddy and others charge somewhere around $80 or under.

Grow up Pheenix and stop ripping off your customers before they desert you for better places!

5. Sam

Sam Active Member VIP

Simple fact is they wont. Its all about drop catch success rate. If they start getting beaten by other companies no one will use them. I've yet to lose something via SnapNames or DropCatch.

6. Adam27

Adam27 Blockchain.link for Sale Business Account VIP

7. stub

stub Top Member VIP

IIRC. It's ICANN that recommends $240 to take a domain out of redemption. There are a majority of registrars which charge around that figure. Including eNom and NameCheap. Again, IIRC. It's GoDaddy which is bucking the trend here by only charging $80. It is supposed to be painful to take a domain out of Redemption. You have more than ample chances to renew your domain before it goes into Redemption.

8. stub

stub Top Member VIP

9. Soofi

Be a market leader and pro-customers. If others can do it, why not Pheenix?

10. stub

stub Top Member VIP

All I'm saying is that most Registrars charge about that amount. So I don't see why you are picking on Pheenix about this. They have much bigger problems. Like why their drop capture is failing to beat players with much smaller volumes of registrars. Will this new 300 registrars turn the table for them? I'm not sure. The proof is still in the future.

11. Soofi

No, I deal mainly with these 2 registrars and I am going to compare them to see which does better for me (period). And, when I say Godaddy charges significantly much lesser, that's true!

I am least bothered about their other problems as it isnt impacting me at this moment. Lets discuss problem at hand? Like when you say ICANN suggest $240 redemption fee, can you share source for that information?

12. stub

stub Top Member VIP

@Soofi - OK. My comments above were IIRC. But I've now done some research. There is no hard and fast rule with Redemption Fees at ICANN. They leave it entirely up to the Registrar, how much they charge to recover a domain in the Redemption Period. Just as long as the Redemption Fee is clearly stated in their ToS. They recommend, at least $80. But the Registrar can charge whatever they like. And it's OK with ICANN.

I mentioned eNom and Namecheap charge $240. And they do. NameCheap, being an eNom Reseller has to also charge this $240. These were the 2 companies I had been exposed to most about these Redemption Fees.

So you are correct to hammer Pheenix about their Redemption Fees being high. But you knew that going in with them. Didn't you? And I cannot figure why on earth you would not renew any domain (for regular renewal fees) rather than let it fall into Redemption and pay these enourmous fees (even at GoDaddy). So it's kind of a moot point. IMHO.

So you are using Pheenix as a Registrar? Not as a drop-catcher? I can't imagine why anybody would want to use Pheenix solely as a Registrar? Their Control Panel is extremely limited, and prices are not great at $10.99 for a .com renewal. IMHO. You can't be serious about using them as a Registrar and don't use their Drop-Catching service. Because if you used them as a Drop Catcher. They suck big time at catching .com domains on the drop. Just look at the domains which are on auction. I wouldn't buy many if any of them. All the best names are caught by other drop-catchers, much larger and much smaller than Pheenix. They added those 300 more registrar because they were not competitive with the number of registrars they already use, at 200. Which is many more than the smaller companies which already beat them. Dynadot is my direct experience of this. Which I have proved to my satisfaction. Albeit, a limited sample.

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up – and it's free!