Dynadot

news PayPal Sues Pandora Over Logo. Are they similar? Look

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Silentptnr

Domains88.comTop Member
Impact
Just learned that Paypal is sueing Pandora over the logo....
ppvsp.jpg

What do you think?

Here's a link to more info about it:
http://mashable.com/2017/05/22/paypal-sues-pandora-similar-logo/

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I really think Pandora should take the opportunity to make a better logo. Maybe a box or something like Pandora box. The one they chose is pretty weak imo

I don't disagree. I read the original post link. I think they didn't do themselves any favors by ignoring PayPal's communications with them.

•••
It will be interesting to watch it unfold. Now that a lawsuit is filed...no turning back. Both start spending money now over a this.

•••
The lawsuit shows the whole world = Pandora
Global advertising is much more expensive vs targeted advertising.
Companies that primarily depend on advertising sometimes use a sort of controversy to attract more public attention. Pandora Stock downhill

Attachments

• pandora-stockm.jpg
    pandora-stockm.jpg
    260.6 KB · Views: 10
•••
It will be interesting to watch it unfold. Now that a lawsuit is filed...no turning back. Both start spending money now over a this.

Yep. I wonder how much it's going to cost to be right as a percentage of their cash flow:)

•••
Funny thing is, either way this ends, it will be clear. Logo will change or it wont.

That will tell us who won. :)

•••
There were infinite variations for a P logo. It's no coincidence that Pandora chose a design so dangerously similar.

It's like registering Facebookie in the domain world..

Last edited:
•••
I will say that I've often mistakenly opened up my Pandora app instead of PayPal, and vice versa. Imho, the logos are indeed confusingly similar.
I have too..could have been intentional by Pandora.

•••
I think they are very similar

but aren't they in a completely different business?

still I think its was a stupid business decision to choose that logo

on the other hand:
personnaly I have never heard of pandora radio

is that a cheap or an expensive way to promote their business?

Last edited:
•••
•••
Good now i can stop clicking on Pandora trying to grt to my PayPal app...

•••
Spend all that money or spend $50 here at Namepros for a new logo.

•••
Spend all that money or spend $50 here at Namepros for a new logo.
Exactly. It could turn out to be a very expensive logo!

•••
I Agree. They both look like Ps.

•••
•••
•••
Here's how I see this case going......
ppp-suit.jpg

•••
•••
•••
Funny part is I saw that and said to myself..... what the hell is that, I had a good little laugh.

I guess you can laugh last because here is a good application for the domain.

Just regged a bit of a funny one.....

PeePeeDance.com

Actually some good numbers behind this one. :)

•••
•••
•••
I personally think this is a legit legal complaint as others have mentioned, its easy to mistake the two especially when it comes to app icons at the very least for the two different services. The only backing that Pandora may have in this case is that they offer a completely different type of service and are not competing with paypal in that sort. This will be an interesting case to follow.

•••
I really think Pandora should take the opportunity to make a better logo. Maybe a box or something like Pandora box. The one they chose is pretty weak imo
+1

•••
I can see the reason, it's too similar (font, color, shapes).

PayPal was faster, Pandora could also have sued them first.
Seems they go with 'Attack = Best defence'.

Last edited:
•••
When you look at the logo in it's box format I can see where the lawsuit could stem from. If the P was in a circle, square box, or something else then maybe it's not so close but man they even rounded out the edge of the box just like Paypal's logo. The P even looks like the exact same font.

upload_2017-5-25_11-9-53.png
These boxes with the rounded corners are the 'app - boxes' which are designed in the specific design requirements from Apple (maybe Android too) OS for all 'their' apps.

On Windows OS all 'app - boxes' have a square box without rounded corners.

The P looks clearly SIMILAR but to say it look like the EXACT same font is exaggerated, it's CLEARLY NOT the same font.

Last edited:
•••
Back