IT.COM

news PayPal has suspended dotDB permanently without explanation.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

silentg

DomainRetail.comTop Member
Impact
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
sorry to hear, it is times like these that i wish everyone would have moved to crypto. These companies play god.

•••
These companies play god.
Hi

whether they accept pp or not, you still gonna pay a fee to access the database.

so...
the more power they get, or think they got
then
the more god-like they may become

imo....

•••
I hope they recover from this. I don't use their site enough to justify a subscription but it certainly is useful when I need it.

•••
•••
•••
PayPal is nothing but trouble, stopped using them around 2020.

•••
there is nothing wrong with paypal. they have 300 milion accounts not because they are bad or wrong. problems only happen to a few accounts. the problem with problems is that that's all that ever makes front pages.

•••
PayPal is nothing but trouble, stopped using them around 2020.

Same here. Stopped using them in 2013. They can do anything they want with your money or account at any given time, without any explanation and you have no recourse whatsoever.

Last edited:
•••
•••
Why don't you use alternatives, like:
  • Stripe
  • Paddle
  • Lemon Squeezy
    etc.?
Also, as far as I know, Lemon Squeezy is probably the most recommended solution for Downloadable Digital Products (software, data, e-book etc.) and SAAS now a days.

Please check them out (I have no affiliation with them BTW).

So, may be don't waste your time on PayPal? Because lets' say they'll fix the issue now. But there's no guarantee that the same problem will not happen again!

Last edited:
•••
•••
It is a private company and they can do whatever they want just like Twitter Facebook Google banning users
Without any explanations

•••
It is a private company and they can do whatever they want just like Twitter Facebook Google banning users
Without any explanations

lol people join em and agree to all of it in their tos and then they cry ..pathetic. nobody forces u to use em.

•••
Without any explanations
Its not the same. They hold and process payments. Why there is no oversight is anyone’s guess.

•••
Its not the same. They hold and process payments. Why there is no oversight is anyone’s guess.
Paypal is also a Public company. (NASDAQ: PYPL)
I see PayPal as the: “Godaddy of Payment Processors”

Last edited:
•••
Quoting dotDB:

"We reached out to our account manager for help internally. However, the Risk/Compliance team at PayPal denied our request to recover our account, stating that their platform does not permit SEO service providers to use their services."

If Paypal classifies dotDB in such a way, then I'm afraid a lot of similar domain services (Namebio, others) are also at risk.

Last edited:
•••
Quoting dotDB:

"We reached out to our account manager for help internally. However, the Risk/Compliance team at PayPal denied our request to recover our account, stating that their platform does not permit SEO service providers to use their services."

If Paypal classifies DotDB in such a way, then I'm afraid a lot of similar domain services (Namebio, others) are also at risk.
Namebio experienced this same PayPal treatment. Fortunately, the domain community helped NameBio; shout out to @Michael!
Let us try to get a repeat of this outcome:
https://namebio.com/blog/update-to-the-paypal-ban-paypal-explains-everything/

Last edited:
•••
Namebio experienced this same PayPal treatment. Fortunately, the domain community helped NameBio; shout out to @Michael!
They got a ban indeed. At that time, it was because Paypal associated the company with illegal file sharing.

•••
They got a ban indeed. At that time, it was because Paypal associated the company with illegal file sharing.
Michael’s story gives me hope even though it was 2-3 years ago and not the exact same thing. It can be done!!

Last edited:
•••
One of the arguments I'd put forward is that the service is also heavily used by companies that want to see who might be abusing their brand across different TLDs. There are of course more extensive and more specialized brand protection services in existence, but dotDB certainly plays a role in this for some.

1682822622558.png

Last edited:
•••
Paypal is also a Public company. (NASDAQ: PYPL)
I see PayPal as the: “Godaddy of Payment Processors”

Paypal is public in the sense of financial stockownership but whoever wants to use their products and services have to follow their rules of business.

No shoes No service
No Shirts no Service

you see rules posted on the windows of the restaurants!!

•••
There's an official update:

UPDATE:

At 11:53 PM GMT+8 on April 29, PayPal responded to us on Twitter Chat with a message acknowledging the numerous retweets (which we deeply appreciate!) by many of dotDB's users in response to the official announcement about the Permanent Suspension of our PayPal account.

I appreciate you clarifying that. Based on what you've shared, it does sound like your account has been permanently limited. I know that a permanent limitation can be unexpected and incredibly challenging. I'm afraid that a permanent limitation means that there is not another answer that we'd be able to provide. Additionally, it means that we'd no longer be able to offer you our services. I know this isn't the answer that you'd like to hear, and I wish I had another one for you. To maintain the security of the PayPal system, we are not able to share any specific reason that an account has been permanently limited. I would recommend that you monitor your e-mail for a notification that your funds are available. You can expect this approximately 180 days after the limitation was placed on your account. Thank you for your understanding, and I wish you luck in finding another payment processor. ^JW

Despite the efforts and assistance of numerous users, PayPal continues to inform us that our account has been permanently suspended without any additional explanation. We urgently require an explanation for this decision and need our account to be recovered immediately. We seek your help in spreading this message as widely as possible, through news outlets, press releases, and blogs, to draw public attention and compel PayPal to take this matter seriously and resolve it promptly.

https://dotdb.com/news/2023-04-28/paypal-has-suspended-dotdb-permanently-without-explanation

•••
•••
they have 300 million accounts. they dont give crap about proverbs.. poems... do all your selves favor whoever's u are and learn to live without pp. do u seriously want to be so dependent in life on something... or someone... then u become no more than their little puppet.

•••
Back