Dynadot

PayPal Has Limited My Account Because of a GoDaddy Auction Purchase...LOL?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I've been a Paypal member since 2000. I can't tell you how much money has passed through that account but I'm confident it has been over 7 figures.

I bought cuba-guide in king from an GoDaddy expiring auction. Apparently the word "cuba" must have raised red flags.

We need some information from you

Dear Scithe,

As part of our security measures, we regularly screen activity in the PayPal system. During one of these screenings, we noticed an issue concerning a recent transaction.

In connection with the issue, PayPal's Compliance Department has reviewed your account and identified activity that we have a couple questions about.

To resolve the compliance inquiry in a timely fashion, PayPal is requesting that you provide the following information:

On November 30, 2022, you sent a payment (XXXX) for the amount of $XX for "cuba-guide.com." Please provide the following information:

• An explanation of the reference to "cuba"
• The purpose of this payment, including a complete and detailed explanation of what is intended to be paid for.

To provide this information, please go to the Resolution Center. To access the Resolution Center, log in to your account and click "Help" at the top of any page, then click "Resolution Center."

We thank you for your prompt attention to this matter. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Sincerely,
JM
PayPal Compliance Department

I am hoping to get someone competent at Paypal, possibly someone who knows what a domain name is. I don't know if I should be worried or not. Has something like this ever happened to anyone else? I don't use Paypal as much as I used to but I still have daily transactions going in and out of the account so it would be inconvenient if my account was suspended for the purchase of a domain name.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
They suspended my account 3 months ago for the same reason. /a purchase of Godaddy domain/. Contact them, explain them that this is a normal purchase of domain and there is no problem with this purchase and they'll fix the problem.
Also my account seemed to be banned, but I managed to transfer my funds out before contacting the support, very weird situation.
The support fixed the problem for me after 30 minutes.

Last edited:
•••
Never heard of this go to the resolution center tell them you bought a domain on GD as the invoice states and what is the problem with that.

•••
Sorry to hear that.

PayPal ML / AI system is bit crap at times causing these issues.
As yours is a genuine account, 99.9% chances you can reinstate your account. They will verify all the details manually to help you. Few days to weeks disruption is the part to be worried about.

Lets hope, you will report back in few days saying this has been sorted out.

Last edited:
•••
Paypal Has Limited My Account Because of a GoDaddy Auction Purchase...LOL?
I think it's because Cuba under US sanctions since 1962.
Interestingly what about domains containing "r*ssia"?

Possible scenario:
you sent a payment (XXXXX) for the amount of $XXX for "r*ssia.com." Please provide the following information:

• An explanation of the reference to "r*ssia"
• The purpose of this payment, including a complete and detailed explanation of what is intended to be paid for.

•••
Yes, the same happened to me with the domain viajes-cuba

Simply you have to answer the questions you are asked

Resolved the same day

•••
The same happened to me with a domain including the word 'LEND' :unsure:

•••
OK that resolved quicker than I expected. I received this e-mail:

Your account has been restored

We reviewed the information you provided for Reference ID - PP-L-Number and have removed the limitation placed. You'll now be able to access any feature that was limited before.

We appreciate your patience in helping us resolve this issue.

Thanks for your help and support everyone! Hopefully this post will be helpful for others in the future.

•••
OK that resolved quicker than I expected. I received this e-mail:

Thanks for your help and support everyone! Hopefully this post will be helpful for others in the future.
Congratulations, that's quick resolution for sure.

•••
This is an interesting edge case for a ML/AI and good on them (Paypal) to resolve it within a business day too.

•••
The same happened to me with a domain including the word 'LEND' :unsure:
That's surprise!
Just wondering if the word 'Lend' is under US sanction list :) !!!

•••
Good that You resolve this and great deal anyway.

•••
Back