Dynadot

Payments question

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Sjpals

Yeah, this is meTop Member
Impact
Hi!

I want to sell my domains on my own website.

Is paypal acceptable?
should I use escrow?
Should I just direct people to Dan/ squadhelp / brandpa / all market places etc to make payment there?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
PayPal is NOT acceptable. They refund to buyers nearly upon request and good luck getting your domain back.

Escrow.com is good. Marketplaces will take a cut but help with eyeballs. Until you get some experience, a marketplace could be prudent.

You can still have your own site with links to reliable marketplaces. This will also give comfort to buyers that don't know you or your intentions.

•••
I think Dan is the best for early-stage users. Easy, trustable payment mechanism, this could be a good starting point. Later you can move to your own website once you have a good portfolio.

•••
I think Dan is the best for early-stage users. Easy, trustable payment mechanism, this could be a good starting point. Later you can move to your own website once you have a good portfolio.
I already have them as a list on my website (I am a website designer) so will just link to market places like Dan. Thanks

•••
Do yourself a favour, stick with escrow. You don't want to consider a method that has chargebacks, IMO

•••
There's probably no blanket solution, really depends on your interaction with the buyer. They may also request a certain method. Not sure if you're talking about adding payment options directly on your site like an instant "buy now" button, or via contact.

For me, selling domains thru my site was always via contact and the PayPal vs Escrow decision was dependent on these factors:
- sale price
- trust factor after interaction with the buyer
- buyer preference
- buyer's geographical location

Sale price: High-value domains is usually Escrow. There have been exceptions one or two times, and it worked out ok. For low-value domains, I almost always direct buyers to an invoiced PayPal.. unless:

Trust factor: There's a weird feeling coming through about the buyer; based on say the email they use for correspondence, or the within the correspondence itself. As the seller you want to foresee potential issues and do what's best to protect the sale of your asset, even if it means taking extra time to guide the buyer with proper instructions for settlement.

Buyer preference: If the buyer indicates a preferred payment method that can incur chargebacks, I will acquiescence based on the two above factors.

Geographical location: Depending on where the buyer resides, or where you reside, there could be restrictions on what payment gateways may be used. Sometimes the only option may be via a 3rd party marketplace.

A buyer might also have never used PayPal, or Escrow or Dan or anything before, so be prepared to help out in that matter too, and waiting for their verifications and whatnot, if selling through your own site.

Last edited:
•••
And the added advantage is that bitcoin can be accepted, and converted to cash through Dan for the sale. My understanding is that you don't need to finally receive the bitcoin, but can accept it through their services.

Overall, though, especially if you compare the fee structures, including higher-end sales, Escrow seems to be best.

Last edited:
•••
I lost a list of domains with scammer using chargeback for one domain issue out of a list. So one at a time no matter what and start with least value first if selling a wholesale list. Stick with Escrow eg godaddy dan.

Last edited:
•••
Find a reliable aftermarket place, Dan , Afternic, Sedo, Escrow, either one can be competent.

•••
You can design your domain landing page like this,
PayPal, Escrow and other 3rd party escrow... are supported.

Domain Parking.png

•••
Back