IT.COM

Parking Service Comparison on a single domain

NameSilo
Watch
200 days ago I decided to use Above.com and one high traffic domain to send exactly the same amount of traffic to 4 different parking services namely: SEDO, ParkingCrew, Voodoo and my BODIS dedicated zeroclick account.
For those that don't know, Maximizer is Above.com's own monetising service where it starts working (if enabled) when the algo sees that it can provide more revenue for a certain amount of traffic. You can see the difference in nRPM in the table below.

The domain in question has all sorts of traffic both in country origins and what people look for so it made a great candidate for that sort of test.

Following is a table showing the traffic in 'Uniques' (Above.com's own traffic metric which counts 1 visitor from the same IP per hour if I'm not mistaken):

* Please remember that BODIS shown is a ZeroClick account only so the lower earnings are normal. I felt it should be included here to show how much roughly one can get from dedicated ZC compared to the mainstream ad provider for a random domain.

* nRPM is the same as RPM with only difference being that it counts Above.com's 'Normalised Traffic' (aka. 'Uniques') instead of the traffic that the various parking services report. It's a great way to compare traffic between parking services where each service reports traffic differently.

upload_2020-2-9_19-18-52.png

hope it helps

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Hi

Thanks for posting

I've done similar tactic
and your illustration clearly shows that some names may perform better at different platforms

btw: have you tried adding unireg in the mix?

imo...

•••
Hi

Thanks for posting

I've done similar tactic
and your illustration clearly shows that some names may perform better at different platforms

btw: have you tried adding unireg in the mix?

imo...

Unfortunately, Above.com does not support Uni yet.
I've tried many times in the past to get those two to work together but with no success.

There is a chance they will do however work in the near future (I've heard they are in the talks). If that happens I'll surely start a similar test.

What surprised me tbh was SEDO. I knew they weren't on par with PC but I had no idea it was that low.

"..some names may perform better at different platforms.."
Remember that domain does not have a specific niche. It was more like a generic site that received all kinds of visitors hence why I chose it for testing.

•••
Unfortunately, Above.com does not support Uni yet.
I've tried many times in the past to get those two to work together but with no success.

I can pm a possible solution to test

What surprised me tbh was SEDO. I knew they weren't on par with PC but I had no idea it was that low.

I agree in general, but a few of my low traffic names, so far sedo is only one paying for the visitors, compared to the others mentioned.

also think voodoo's image templates are nice for specific categories

imo...

•••
I can pm a possible solution to test

That's very interesting to hear.
I will wait to see what happens with Uni & above and, if it takes too long, I'll certainly pm you to get some help on that. Thanks.

•••
ty

hmmm.. so why is bodis so low compared to pc and voodoo?

also im tying to understand maximizer.. is this some kind of a above.com service where on top of those companies above, you earned from maximizer this small amount.. or maximizer is a service like voodoo.. so whenever you get paid by maximizer, all others are excluded?

thats stil pretty amazing rev domain to get round 2k from voodoo+2k from PC right?
what are your impressions then of this test? are you happy? would you get more with this name by not doing this test, or did you do it simply to know where to park from now on? which will be where then? :)

also, do you plan to use above.com for other names?

thanks!

•••
Can you PM me the name? Just curious what type of names could provide such amount of traffic.

•••
I intentionally put BODIS in bold in my OP twice so people would not misunderstand the results (I hoped).

BODIS results come from a dedicated ZeroClick account and in no way they can be compared with the other services.

As mentioned, I only put bodis in the table so as to show what the results are when using ZC only.

To answer your question,
I'm always happy when I find domains with high traffic that pay off the registration fee.

The *only* reason I did that test was for NP members. I do internal tests constantly so there was no reason for me to know what performs and what not. I knew I'd be losing on revenue but I thought it was worth it since nothing compares with real examples.

•••
Can you PM me the name? Just curious what type of names could provide such amount of traffic.

Sorry but no.
There are many types of domains that provide that kind of traffic. Check ex-torrent sites or sites that used to provide movies online etc.

•••
@Hypersot

thank you
facts are always helping

•••
Very interesting statistics. Thank you for doing the experiment @Hypersot And very impressive parking revenue.

So this seems to say that ParkingCrew and Voodoo are pretty similar performance wise, and they are maybe 2 to 3 times better than Sedo parking. Is it expected that performance is related to the type of name? By that I mean might say a download files type name do better at one, while a travel name might do relatively better at another?

Thanks,

Bob

•••
Very interesting statistics. Thank you for doing the experiment @Hypersot And very impressive parking revenue.

So this seems to say that ParkingCrew and Voodoo are pretty similar performance wise, and they are maybe 2 to 3 times better than Sedo parking. Is it expected that performance is related to the type of name? By that I mean might say a download files type name do better at one, while a travel name might do relatively better at another?

Thanks,

Bob

Thanks for your comments Bob.

As I mentioned earlier, that domain was the perfect candidate because it doesn't belong to any niche.

Basically the ex-site used to have some random content (even adult at times) with visitors visiting from all over the world. So, we have visitors that bounce off straight away while others just exploring the new page and, maybe (judging from the earnings), do some kind of action (getting subscribed or purchasing something).

Splitting equally that kind of random traffic gives a fair baseline to compare all parking services with minimal margin of error.

To answer your question more accurately,
I don't think a certain type of domain performs better at one parking service while another type performs better on another parking service. A parking service either performs or it won't.

What I believe is, G-based parking services *should* perform similarly (and that's why I'm surprised with sedo) and then the difference comes to how their ZC feeds work. That is valid for most of the traffic imo.

Lastly, it's important to note that, with the type of domains I own (ie. no typo domains at all), ZC doesn't perform that well. Less than 10% of my total earnings come from ZC so it's basically all G. Why? I have no idea honestly, I'm only describing what I'm seeing for the past few years.

Hope that helped.

•••
@Hypersot it'd be great if you can park the name with Bodis on a PPC lander to get an accurate comparison for the chart, rather than relying on ZC-only. As you're showing, ZC is a very small portion of the actual revenue for the domain. I believe that's the case for all the services you're showing. As a matter of fact, some of them such as Voodoo, don't support ZC last I checked.

•••
@Hypersot it'd be great if you can park the name with Bodis on a PPC lander to get an accurate comparison for the chart, rather than relying on ZC-only. As you're showing, ZC is a very small portion of the actual revenue for the domain. I believe that's the case for all the services you're showing. As a matter of fact, some of them such as Voodoo, don't support ZC last I checked.

As mentioned, I decided to use ZC on a dedicated service so as to show a clear picture of the ZC portion of revenue for a non-typo domain with random traffic coming from around the world.

(Un)fortunately, you have a great ZC service so it had to be you :)

Admittedly, I made a mistake though. Instead of just mentioning Bodis being a ZC-only account, I really had to include it in the graph's description as in BODIS (ZC-only).. or something like that so as to avoid showing a bad impression to people that don't like to read.

Sadly, when I thought I could do such a thing it was already too late and couldn't edit that graph :/

•••
Thanks Hypersot,

Uni does not support CNAME or Custom IP setup for most clients, so Above can not integrate Uni into the Optimizer part, that rotates the traffic between the different parking services to find which ones pays the best for a specific domain.

If you have a Uni API to get stats and have a special set up there, then we can support Uni otherwise for most clients Uni do not want to go through Above. I can try to ping Frank, but last time it was still a no on working with Above.

Note that Maximizer is Above's ZeroClick, it is not parking, where it only send traffic to Maximizer if it knows it can beat parking revenues.

In your test, it is important to note that both Sedo and ParkingCrew also have ZeroClick, as part of their parking, unless you manually turned that off? Not sure if you did that?

Effectively all but Voodoo use ZC to beat traditional parking.

Also what rev shares do you have with the different parking services? Do you know if they are the same across the board?

Cheers
David

•••
Thanks Hypersot,

Uni does not support CNAME or Custom IP setup for most clients, so Above can not integrate Uni into the Optimizer part, that rotates the traffic between the different parking services to find which ones pays the best for a specific domain.

If you have a Uni API to get stats and have a special set up there, then we can support Uni otherwise for most clients Uni do not want to go through Above. I can try to ping Frank, but last time it was still a no on working with Above.

Note that Maximizer is Above's ZeroClick, it is not parking, where it only send traffic to Maximizer if it knows it can beat parking revenues.

In your test, it is important to note that both Sedo and ParkingCrew also have ZeroClick, as part of their parking, unless you manually turned that off? Not sure if you did that?

Effectively all but Voodoo use ZC to beat traditional parking.

Also what rev shares do you have with the different parking services? Do you know if they are the same across the board?

Cheers
David

as far as I know, google doesn't allow their parking partners
to reveal the Percentage share to the domainers

•••
@Trellian ,

thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Let me answer the points you brought up one by one:

(1) Regarding Uni, I based my comments on the last chat I had with my account manager. You offer Uni as a parking service to be added in the account but it hasn't worked for the past few years.
It also has never worked as a reporting service despite of what you claim... at least for me being your user for, more or less, 6-7 years now.

I have reported this problem multiple times through the years and yet you don't seem to take it off as an option in the account:
upload_2020-2-11_4-6-46.png

(2) I never called Above's Maximizer a 'Parking Service', I called it 'Above.com's Monetising Service'. Whether you use ZC or not is up to you. Point is, you earn us money through that service and that had to be mentioned.

(3) Regarding ZC.
As mentioned, I earn very little in general through ZC on any service. I used a dedicated ZeroClick service in my test (ie. Bodis) for that reason exactly, ie. to distinguish what portion of the earnings *might* be from ZC so people can get their own conclusions.
If I hadn't shown that then we wouldn't know that ZC% . Moreover, I trust Bodis to be one of the best services out there that monetise through ZC and that's why I chose them.

(4) As @frank-germany very correctly pointed out, we domainers are always in the dark about many things regarding parking.. Our share is one of those things.

thanks again for participating.

Last edited:
•••
Hello all,
I'm very new to "domaining" and have been researching the business. Just started looking into the monetization aspect and came across this thread. My newbie question is can I park a domain at more than one revenue parking service?
thanks

•••
Hello all,
I'm very new to "domaining" and have been researching the business. Just started looking into the monetization aspect and came across this thread. My newbie question is can I park a domain at more than one revenue parking service?
thanks

If you mean 'at the same time', yes but only by using a management service like Above.com or ParkLogic.com

If you manage the domain yourself, you can have the domain with as many parking services as you want but you can send traffic via nameservers to only one of them at a time if you want to keep it simple (which I'd strongly suggest you do).

This thread is not for this type of questions though. I'd prefer if I kept the discussion around the performance of the parking services. Thanks.

•••
great job that was what i search i was wonder how above work :)

•••
Back