Dynadot

Parking domains a joke

NameSilo
Watch

VisionEdger

Account Closed
Impact
this has to be the ultimate scam pulled off by these companies! What a waste of time and energy. I realize domains can generate some traffic and uniques while waiting to be developed (if at all) but this has to be one of the biggest scams on the web today in this business!!

ppc fraud is a self perpetuating scenario due to the terms and conditions laid out by the parkers.

This must be one of the biggest jokes on domainers in the history of domaining.

In time we wil look back at this ludicrous methodology in domaining and wonder wtf was i doing?

whos fed up with the limited options we as domainers have in making $$ with our domains? there must be another alternative. I know of a new domain stock exchange where they will sell shares of youre domains.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
You can easily create your own parking with one page of text and adsense. I think people are getting immune to parking pages since they all look similar.

Once my brain sees a typical parking page template I click the back button within a second or two.

•••
What a rant! Let me guess....your names blow and instead of blaming your choice in names you are blaming the parking co?

•••
Blow Me

snoop said:
What a rant! Let me guess....your names blow and instead of blaming your choice in names you are blaming the parking co?

hey snoop let me guess you are satisfied with parking bus.?? get off it bud and tell me whats so hot about parking domains?the issue is parking companies with alot of bs terms and conditions that you obviously have been lulled into accepting at face value.

parking names is the biggest scam on the domainer . snoop it seems like you are content with parking? why is that?

ps if you saw my domains u would take back that little comment about the supposed crap i own. ps I own alot of premium .coms and the parking option is still a joke.

•••
VisionEdger said:
ps if you saw my domains u would take back that little comment about the supposed crap i own. ps I own alot of premium .coms and the parking option is still a joke.

I'll call your bluff, let's see these "premium .coms".

•••
It works for me I have no internet skills and am continuing to increase my portfolio as the parking income gives me the income to go on. i also make a small profit in the meantime my monthly parking check this month is 600.00 my reg fees are 100.00 so i am headed in the right direction

•••
?

fatter said:
It works for me I have no internet skills and am continuing to increase my portfolio as the parking income gives me the income to go on. i also make a small profit in the meantime my monthly parking check this month is 600.00 my reg fees are 100.00 so i am headed in the right direction

how long are they parked and with what parker?

•••
No,domain parking is a good method to drive unused traffic to PPC.

•••
kiss off

snoop said:
I'll call your bluff, let's see these "premium .coms".

who are u buddy? call my bluff? i am pissed because parking is a rip off and you want to see my domains so you can rip on them? get off it!!

kokbaw said:
No,domain parking is a good method to drive unused traffic to PPC.

domain parking is another way to make the companies rich while you are being deluded into thinking otherwise. i know i know, develop, develop. thats the mantra.

•••
I underestimated my earnings i forgot i have another 200.00 coming from fabulous too
so profit for the month is 700. by the way i own no TM names or brands of companies all my names are generic I beleive cybersquatters are stealing from me too.

•••
It's simple, easy, and you can leverage time while doing other things like racing sailboats.

•••
VisionEdger said:
who are u buddy? call my bluff? i am pissed because parking is a rip off and you want to see my domains so you can rip on them? get off it!!

You just said you owned a whole lot of premium .com's, I doubt that because if that was the case you probably wouldn't be trying to run the argument that domain parking is some kind of scam.

If you want to make money in parking then the first and most obvious step is to seek out names that actually have valuable traffic. It is a bit like someone with buck teeth and no hair complaining there is no money money to be made in modeling.

•••
VisionEdger said:
how long are they parked and with what parker?

vision edger I have tried almost all the parking companies I have never been kicked off any of them, I presently am with fabulous who I have been with the longest and are most consistent, and have been with bodis for 2 months, my earnings/profit have been at least 7k a year for several years now, although lately I am making same although i continue to reg more names because the per click rate is going down because of all the scammers out there

some names parked for years some 1 week because i just registered them, just registered some diving names making me money

Last edited:
•••
•••
Domain parking certainly has become wildly less profitable in the last year or so. I've seen my earnings decrease by over 75% in the last year via parking.

Clicks at sedo that were making $1 make 12 cents now, fabulous sucks for everything but poker names, namedrive pays ok at times but doesn't seem to optimize domains very well no matter what input I give, my earnings with bodis slipped from $650 the first month to about 1/3rd of that (projected) this month, parked.com has horrible ctr, and whypark (which i suppose isn't technically a parking service) I've had little luck with getting a good click through rate. I just started whypark, so I'm not knocking it yet, I'm sure I have plenty to learn on it.

Still, outside of typos, I don't really see the point in parking anymore.

Development is key.

•••
whats the reason behind the payout drop in all parking companies? any ideas?

•••
VisionEdger said:

Really only a couple of possibilities that I can think of offhand.

1) Decreased payout from the parking companies ad feed provider due to either lower ppc values or click fraud
2) Higher costs of running a parking company, probably due to fraud reporting issues and potential liability
3) Parking companies are taking a larger chunk.
4) Bad tracking.

Frankly, as the cynical person I am, I'm leaning towards #3 as the most prevalent reason (especially for you, sedo) but I'm sure the other ones are in there as well in varying degrees.

•••
why do i always get in on something when the good times are either ending or gone :(

•••
#3 sounds like it should be #1 and you can call it as we all know it- GREED! When they have as much $$ as they do its too easy for them to get more. So we as the suppliers of the domains get shafted. 75%+ in 1 year? sounds like an inevstigation is required into this parking business.

Why is no one getting pissed off about this subject?? I have NOT read a thing about what can be done to change this so domainers are getting the benefits and NOT the super rich parking hosts corps.

We should make a fair profit as much as them and more since we supply the names. It gauls me to the nth degree that the little guy gets it in the backside yet again. Why is this not an issue today???? I am pised right off but knoiw one esle sems to care. and if they do they certainly dont say much about this subject. Are domainers resolved to the fact that once the big boys make their play then we meekly follow along??

There must be alot of top domainers with the savvy connections etc etc on these sites to actually get some real answers. I for one would like to hear some!

discovernow said:
It's simple, easy, and you can leverage time while doing other things like racing sailboats.

you moved a few atoms around typing their buddy thats about it. now hard to port and abandon ship!

mrizos said:
why do i always get in on something when the good times are either ending or gone :(

get off the computer and relax a bit .. your thought process needs a reboot...

•••
Parking companies do all the work, we just buy a name. How much money do you want to make for doing nothing? Parking with a parking company is free money (even if it isn't a lot of free money)

In general, anyone who wants to make a lot of money parking domains should park them with themselves. Make a page, put up some ads, cut out the middle man and keep 100% of the click money. Or do nothing except change your nameserver and get whatever percentage an evil parking company chooses to share. It's pretty simple.

Why aren't you ripping the registrars like godaddy who put up ads on your parked domain and don't share a penny?

•••
VisionEdger said:

I would have said the revenue drops for some domainers is largely due to smart pricing (increased quality control and a focus on conversion). I'm not really sure the parking industry has contracted much over the last year. For a 75% drop in a portfolio then something very major is wrong, that isn't an indication of the industry overall.

•••
gwkg said:
Parking companies do all the work, we just buy a name. How much money do you want to make for doing nothing? Parking with a parking company is free money (even if it isn't a lot of free money)

In general, anyone who wants to make a lot of money parking domains should park them with themselves. Make a page, put up some ads, cut out the middle man and keep 100% of the click money. Or do nothing except change your nameserver and get whatever percentage an evil parking company chooses to share. It's pretty simple.

Why aren't you ripping the registrars like godaddy who put up ads on your parked domain and don't share a penny?
I have been a proponent of development/mini-sites for some time. I am not doing as much right now while watching where Bodis and iMODO are headed.

The thing about development is the hard work it takes and sometimes parking makes more.

If parking companies are thieves then Google (Adsense) must be the king of thieves because it seems to often pay less than parking for same terms. I have seen this when moving back and forth between mini-sites and parking.

Bottom line for the little guy there is no one single solution for all domains.

•••
gwkg said:

Traffic if the main thing of value in the food chain.

gwkg said:
In general, anyone who wants to make a lot of money parking domains should park them with themselves. Make a page, put up some ads, cut out the middle man and keep 100% of the click money. Or do nothing except change your nameserver and get whatever percentage an evil parking company chooses to share.

It isn't this simple, if it was the parking co's wouldn't exist. The middlemen generally get very high payout rates (75%+, much higher than a small or medium sized domainer would ever get going direct) and have the skills to design efficient landers.

•••
Its pretty true Vision, day after day my traffic names are getting like one penny. I read in the domain journal recently the owners of Trafficz have made it big with their parking profits, yet my ppc in their company is mostly one penny clicks.

I have names with them that are supposed to be for better ppc prices, such as realestate, loans, etc, but Trafficz is paying out mostly pennies right now and so are most parking companies that I have my names in with the exception of Fabulous. Even the highly loved .bodis I have noticed no difference between their payouts and the ones mentioned, even though their claim was 100% revenue.

Sure it makes me mad as the money is pouring into places like that and they show us a penny click once in a while.

Some say build your own websites and place Adsense on them and you get all the profit. The last year I have noticed pennies per click form them also.

What is needed is what you say, but greed sets in and the owners of every new company just grab more. Parking is weird about payouts as once in a while a dollar and more clicks come in.

( As a disclaimer I am saying some parking companies are honest).

•••
VisionEdger said:

domain parking is another way to make the companies rich while you are being deluded into thinking otherwise. i know i know, develop, develop. thats the mantra.

Its not monopoly money that goes into my paypal account each month. The only reason for you starting a post like this is that you didn't make money of your freshly non-traffic names or you got booted from a PPC company. You would have a whole different look on this if your names had traffic and clicks.

Vision, what PPC company/site have you used? You don't have to show the names if you don't want, but can you give us some traffic and maybe rev stats from that PPC company you used so we can better understand your anger.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back