Dynadot

discuss P.TV or PTV.COM, which would you choose to brand your business?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

owntype

DomainName.comTop Member
Impact
Noticed the domain name P.TV is under auction.
The high bid for P.TV is currently at $50,555 USD and the reserve range is between $100,001 and $500,000
As a one letter *TV.com owner, I'm curious to know how you guys think the value of P.TV and PTV.COM?
If P.TV can reach $50k, how much do you think PTV.COM would sell for?

To branding your business, would you choose P.TV or PTV.COM for your 1st choice?

Here are some (L)TV.COM's sales record:

GTV.COM $130K 2008
OTV.COM $110K 2007
ETV.COM $100K 2014
MTV.COM $100K 2003
TTV.COM $100K 2008
LTV.COM $30K 2013

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Jim, I don't know the owner of P.TV is a NP member or I won't use P.TV and PTV.COM as the example. I thought your other thread (which has been moved) is just a news thread. I wish you could sell P.TV for a great price.

I'm Chinese and I do admit Chinese investors prefer to buy short domains. But IMO, to brand a media service, e.g. a TV site, you may need a logo shows on screen. I personally would prefer to use PTV rather than P.TV.

And thinking when the news reporter summing up with " This is brought to you by PTV" or "This is brought to you by P dot TV", which one is better?

PTV.COM can be branded as PTV, how P.TV to brand itself? PTV or P dot TV?

Show attachment 32988
Show attachment 32989

Great discussion, and you have great input. I started buying .tv when they came out in 2000, but wish when I started buying .com domains in 1998 I would of bought names like ptv.com, ect, that were available to hand reg, but can't look back.

It's great you are Chinese. People like you, Kassey Lee and other Chinese on namepros really give a great input.

Thanks, Jim

•••
I would say PTV.COM is better overall than P.TV though both are very nice and valuable names. As mentioned in a previous post, P.TV will likely lose visitors to PTV.COM and lose emails as well. That will not happen in the reverse.
Interesting note: All 8000 Chinese premium LLLTV.COM are registered. The last 2000 were registered around Feb 1 by a Chinese registrant.

•••
Guys you discussed Chinese investors. The one thing you need to put in mind is that: Chinese investors can hardly get Aesthetic feeling of a branding name. They judge domain names by identifying some spefic letters in abbreviation. It is way much more physical than chemical & emotional way.

In another word, Chinese investors don't like .tv quite much (they like .com, .cn, .com.cn, .cc, .wang, net and org, etc). And they feel "PTV.com" also contain "V", which would decrease the value.

The judgement is way different from western language speakers.

I am not quite positive in this name sale.

•••
both are good domains. but the value is decided by the buyer.

•••
Guys you discussed Chinese investors. The one thing you need to put in mind is that: Chinese investors can hardly get Aesthetic feeling of a branding name. They judge domain names by identifying some spefic letters in abbreviation. It is way much more physical than chemical & emotional way.

In another word, Chinese investors don't like .tv quite much (they like .com, .cn, .com.cn, .cc, .wang, net and org, etc). And they feel "PTV.com" also contain "V", which would decrease the value.

The judgement is way different from western language speakers.

I am not quite positive in this name sale.

I have sold 30, ll.tv to Chinese already in the last 2 years, they love short .tv, especially if it's consonants. IMO P.tv is going to sell to either a Chinese investor or an end-user. Namejet is doing a great job marketing the name.

•••
I'll take P.tv every day of the week, even if Ptv.com is for sure a very good domain name

•••
I have sold 30, ll.tv to Chinese already in the last 2 years, they love short .tv, especially if it's consonants. IMO P.tv is going to sell to either a Chinese investor or an end-user. Namejet is doing a great job marketing the name.

what' s the average price you sold you ll.tv names

•••
what' s the average price you sold you ll.tv names

Average price must be around 25K. However, I am still holding my best one's such as ny.tv, and uk.tv which I have received 140K offer on already which I turned down. uk.tv, along with News.tv, Online.tv Channel.tv I will hold out for the right price on those, mid 6 figures

•••
Average price must be around 25K. However, I am still holding my best one's such as ny.tv, and uk.tv which I have received 140K offer on already which I turned down. uk.tv, along with News.tv, Online.tv Channel.tv I will hold out for the right price on those, mid 6 figures

those are nice names. I also hold hi.tv

•••
•••
•••

You're sitting on a gold mine.. mind sharing some with me? :xf.grin:

•••
I'll take P.tv every day of the week, even if Ptv.com is for sure a very good domain name
You could of sell your USA.tv is better than 1-2 letter .tv.

It should have been $500k at the most. Because it is United State America.tv

•••
i like P.TV the best but keyword.tv should be doing much better by now.

•••
I start buying .tv in 2000 right when they came out. So it's been a long long road indeed. Keywords are hard sells, Geo's are really hard sells. Seems like everybody wants short these days Thank god, the Chinese love short .tv, because they been paying the bills the last 2 years.

•••
i have had good offers for some of mine .tv this year but not selling any just now.
good luck on your P.TV great name.

•••
COM is the King. I like PTV.com

•••
I think its better to create a poll and see who wins the race ...

•••
I start buying .tv in 2000 right when they came out. So it's been a long long road indeed. Keywords are hard sells, Geo's are really hard sells. Seems like everybody wants short these days Thank god, the Chinese love short .tv, because they been paying the bills the last 2 years.

Both are good, I agree with the point that if I branded on p.tv in a serious way I would be after ptv.com as well that is for sure.

To me the point that really sticks with me from this thread is that you started buying .tv's in 2000, you've had to wait a decade + for the big payday on some of the names you own. Those that think they can make a ton of money in no time should learn from this that everything that's worthwhile takes time and doesn't happen overnight.

Yes the Chinese hype in the last couple of years allowed some to cash in and out fast but those days are now gone and ended around 6 months ago.

Bottom line: Patience is key!

•••
i think the only option is available is P.TV . As Ptv .com are already developed site. if somehow you have a chance and budget to buy PTV.com . you should consider that option. PTV is also a national TV channel of pakistan.. Look for trademarks and other similar issues before purchase. Good Luck

•••
PTV.com, of course.
Regardless of our perception or hard as the registrar might try to tout tv, domain-wise, .tv is still abbreviation/extension (A2 (ISO)) for Tuvalu - polynesian island nation located in the Pacific Ocean, midway between Hawaii and Australia.
P.tv should be excellent if you're located on the Tuvalu island, IMO.
.COM is universal. That's the big difference.

Last edited:
•••
PTV.com, of course.
Regardless of our perception or hard as the registrar might try to tout tv, domain-wise, .tv is still abbreviation/extension (A2 (ISO)) for Tuvalu - polynesian island nation located in the Pacific Ocean, midway between Hawaii and Australia.
P.tv should be excellent if you're located on the Tuvalu island, IMO.
.COM is universal. That's the big difference.

I understand your point, but nobody cares if it's a Tuvalu Island. I sold hundreds of .tv names and not one person ever cared.

•••
  • It's very early, and long way from reserve which I can't disclose, but $52K is not bad for this early, so we will see. And it's "open auction" which is even better, because it's disclosed for all to see whether bidding or not, and also people can jump in the last minute if they don't pre-bid. Going on vacation the day it closes, so it's beers on me if it hits reserve , or beers on the others if not(lol)

p.tv
Type:PreRelease
Bids:62
My Bid:$0
Min. Bid:$69
High Bid:$52000
blank.gif

Time Left:2d 23h

•••
@Jim Holleran Hi Jim, just wondering if you received any offers after the NameJet auction?

•••
@owntype RTV.com sold for $100K recently.

•••
Back