Dynadot

advice Owner renews domain immediately after expired GoDaddy auction ends, why would this happen?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Matt Holden

VIP Member
Afternic Staff
Impact
Can anybody shed some light as to why a domain owner would let a domain expire down to auction and then once it was won immediately renew it and then put it back onto DNS?

This just happened to me, with a domain won on GoDaddy expiring auction, the domain was resolving to a "GoDaddy soon to expire" holding page.

Within an hour of winning, the transaction was cancelled and the site is now resolving to an aftermarket sales page.

Have I missed something? surely they had to pay an $80 fine to renew it, so why wait till it was sold at auction.

Any help appreciated.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
To be honest, I am just looking for keywords or catchy domains that have just had the parking page but still attract traffic.

To be honest though, it is very unusual to find an auction where the owner has a free pass as to whether to accept the auction or not. That is essentially what happens with the GoDaddy auctions.

I guess my gripe is researching, spending time on an auction for certain domains that I don't technically win with the highest bid.

Does anyone know what happens at the end of an auction with the current owner? I am assuming they get an email and perhaps are told the price their domain was auctioned for?
THEY GET SQUAT GODADDY KEEPS IT ALL THATS THE POINT,THEY DONT WANT THE OWNER TO RENEW ,GODADDY SCREWED ME A MONTH AGO ,I WAS ABLE TO DRIVE OVER THE OUTERBRIDGE CROSSING AND FIND THE OWNER OF A DOMAIN THAT WAS AUCTIONED OFF,T HE OWNER HAD MOVED TO MIDDLETOWN NJ AND WAS NOTGETTING JUNK MAIL AND HADENT CHECKED HIS EMAILS ,IN HIS OLD YAHOO ACCOUNT.ANYWAY GODADDY GOT BEAT ON 4GRAND ,AND I GOT A NICE SNOWBLOWER OUT OF THE DEAL,MAYBE I COST SOMEONE HERE A GOOD DOMAIN ,BUT WTF,THIS GUY NEEDED THE MONEY AND DIDENT NEED THE SNOWBLOWER IN HIS 55 PLUS COMMUNITY , I URGE PEOPLE IF YOU ARE NOT TOO FAR FROM A FELLOW DOMAINER TRY TO HELP OUT,YOU DONT KNOW THEIR SITUATION ,SOMETIMES THESE AUCTIONS GO IN THE TENS OF THOUSANDS AND GODADDY KEEPS ALL,THEY HAVE NO VESTED INTEREST IN FINDING THE OWNER,THEY PRAY HE STAYS AWAY

Last edited:
•••
They were probably watching it to see what the market value of it is. If It's worth enough, they'd likely renew it and try to sell it themselves.

I don't drop much but when I do I add it to my watch list just in case that domain I think won't see any action turns into a bidding war. Hasn't happened yet as I generally know what to hold/drop but just in case doesn't hurt to keep an eye on it.

•••
Who would let his premium domain expire and sold by Godaddy !!!!!! think before you bid on these useless auctions they are just using you for a free appraisal !

•••
Can anybody shed some light as to why a domain owner would let a domain expire down to auction and then once it was won immediately renew it and then put it back onto DNS?

This just happened to me, with a domain won on GoDaddy expiring auction, the domain was resolving to a "GoDaddy soon to expire" holding page.

Within an hour of winning, the transaction was cancelled and the site is now resolving to an aftermarket sales page.

Have I missed something? surely they had to pay an $80 fine to renew it, so why wait till it was sold at auction.

Any help appreciated.
The owner of the domain Limewire.com did the exact same thing.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back